Veronica Magazine rates X3! Oh dear ...

Wolverini said:
Oh btw ... im allowed to talk about the movie now. It'll be fun to see which version they are planning on using in 2 days :)

Im a fan of Famke/Jean/Phoenix now... one question... despite some reviews saying there's no this no that... in terms of the phoenix effects, will I be disappointed?

It all depends how you review the movie...

Do you see it as:
1) Third part in a loose trilogy
2) Movie where directors have changed (and thus have that preconception)
3) A generic adult drama
4) A sci-fi movie
5) A superhero movie
6) An X-Men adaptation

Depending on your point of reference, you will see it differently. It might be a great movie but a poor X-Men adaptation, or a great X-Men adaptation but a poor movie.

It's obvious that some reviewers have not grasped the source material at all. Or have no interest in it.

Two people I know hated Batman Begins, because their reference point, and preference, is for camp fun like the 60s TV series or the Schumacher movies. Most kids hated the Hulk (too slow on action), many adults loved it (because of the emphasis on style and drama).

Episode I was the one movie that made not care about Star Wars anymore. Overly dramatic I know...but true to the core.

DarknessOfDeath said:
Im a fan of Famke/Jean/Phoenix now... one question... despite some reviews saying there's no this no that... in terms of the phoenix effects, will I be disappointed?

You wont see a Firebird but you WILL hear a Phoenix Scream. Here eyes in the end battle do show signs of some fire but its nothing like in the comics. Sorry.

X-Maniac said:
Do you see it as:
1) Third part in a loose trilogy
2) Movie where directors have changed (and thus have that preconception)
3) A generic adult drama
4) A sci-fi movie
5) A superhero movie
6) An X-Men adaptation

That's a very good point, and just for fun, I'd like to make a pre-release prediction on all six of those points (as how I anticipate the movie to play out). Rankings on a scale of 1 - 5 (5 being highest)

1. Third part in loose trilogy -> 4 / 5
2. Movie where directors have changed -> 4 /5*
3. A generic adult drama -> 3 / 5
4. A sci-fi movie -> 4 / 5
5. A superhero movie -> 4 / 5
6. An X-Men adapatation -> 3 / 5

*My interpretation is how well both directors / creative teams keep a consistant tone, despite their obvious difference in storytelling and visual styles

@ X-Maniac

I see it as a 1) and 2)

1) Because you dont have to see movie 1 and 2 to understand 3.
2) Ratner introduced some fine actions scenes on a grand schale ... something Singer hasnt pulled off in the other two.

Nell2ThaIzzay said:
lol, I must not have gotten that memo :)

Lol! well..it wasn't that bad (except for Jar Jar), but let's not turn this into a Star Wars thread

wow...I can't say what Ratner has done with X3, but I'm sure he's good with action. I dont know about dramatic scenes though. I'm sure he did his best, but I still dont think X3 was Ratner's baby: IT's Fox. Ratner barely came in 2 months before principle production. He yelled 'action' and made some creative decisions, but it wasn't his ship really.

Wolverini said:
You wont see a Firebird but you WILL hear a Phoenix Scream. Here eyes in the end battle do show signs of some fire but its nothing like in the comics. Sorry.

Yes I know that.. :p lol I'm in love with the Phoenix Scream. lol makes me jump everytime I hear it

I meant you know Famke's protrayal?

Ian McKellen only needs to twitch his lip in order to make Magneto shine on the big-screen.
..............xwolverine2 agrees!:up:

I actually turned down the chance of an early screening last week, because i didn't want to see an unfinished version (and it would have meant some frantic travelling to get there on time after work). So, I haven't seen it yet. But I'm going to see how it works as a movie that continues the stories set up in the first two movies. Then I'm going to think about it as a fan.

I'm going with a girlfriend who liked the previous two movies but is not a follower of the source material. I want to see what she says about the fate/treatment of certain characters, as she has no 'attachment' to them or knowledge of how the Phoenix Saga played out in the Uncanny X-Men storyline. She likes all kinds of movies. And she does tend to sum up the general feeling very well.

Then, the I'm going again with a friend who is a comicbook fan. And at the weekend, I'm going again with a friend who knows the first two movies and is a sci-fi fan (and a scientist as well) but not a comicbook reader. It'll be great to compare their perspectives. I will post it here, so we can get a view of how the outside world sees the movies!

DarknessOfDeath said:
Yes I know that.. :p lol I'm in love with the Phoenix Scream. lol makes me jump everytime I hear it

I meant you know Famke's protrayal?

She's ... crazy. Her acting is superb!

X-Maniac said:
I will post it here, so we can get a view of how the outside world sees the movies!
Very interesting...

I will be here to read it!..

-TNC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"