Singer Saw X3

liamoversion2 said:
Look, plot is derived from charcter. It's that simple.

What's even simpler is the true definition of plot - The pattern of events or main story in a narrative or drama.

okim08 said:
While watching X-3 Singer also saw the kick butt trailer of POTC, which made him in turn release Superman Returns 2 days earlier, to get as much money possible before the POTC juggernaut opens a week later. Kudos to the X-men producers who were able to open this movie on memorial day weekend with no competition for 2 weeks!

:rolleyes: Yeah, he's sooo worried about that pirates movie. POTC is very overrated! SR has nothing to worry about if the X3 opening is any indiction!

Captain Kirk said:
:rolleyes: Yeah, he's sooo worried about that pirates movie. POTC is very overrated! SR has nothing to worry about if the X3 opening is any indiction!

But, you have to agree, POTC will take a good chunk of money from SR when it opens a week after SR.

Angry Sentinel said:
Bravo, you're very good at defining things, good for you. Interestingly enough I agree with your definitions. But my questioning was not whether or not action should have action, or comedies should make dead babies cry. My question was about the elements in a movie... character developement vs plot developement. And I still hold that the BETTER ones are when the movie, reguardless of the genre, do these both well in conjunction. The classification of a movie does not change this aspect... IMHO, of course.

Well I disagree, dominance of one aspect is paramount to a story's success. A movie that was as funny as it is scary, is a lame comedy, and a piss poor horror movie. You seem to think a double standard applies to action movies, that they need to be as dramatic as they are visceral, which leads to superficial drama, and boring action.

To each their own, I respect your opinion even though I don't agree with it.

okim08 said:
But, you have to agree, POTC will take a good chunk of money from SR when it opens a week after SR.
That is palisable but I believe SR will have sufficient staying power to be very sucessful!

Captain Kirk said:
That is palisable but I believe SR will have sufficient staying power to be very sucessful!

I just have a feeling that POTC will win box office champ of the summer.

Newb said:
What's even simpler is the true definition of plot - The pattern of events or main story in a narrative or drama.

But that just swings right back to my point... the plot comes from the characters and their motivations because no two people will behave exactly the same in an identical situation. Everything that goes into their psychological, physiological and sociological make up is what decides that. That's where your story comes from...

e.g. If you replace the sun with the moon, the Earth would die! The effect would be entirely different.

skruloos said:
Generalization? Did you not post this?
Was I wrong?
So if my view must be narrower than yours, meaning what I accept is much stricter, wouldn't that mean my level of standards is higher than yours?
No it means your standards are skewed.
And all these attempts at insulting my character and generalizing me simply because you can't back up what you said about Cyclops?
No the reason why I insult you is because of your arrogance. I'm here expressing myself, about my subjective opinion, and you show up to challenge me, that I must back up my opinion to you or I'm not entitled to it. Who do you think you are exactly? What significance do you play in the grand sheme of things. By putting my opinion on trial at your request in and of itself invalidates my opinion, because I would be submitting it to your review before it can be validated. Like I said, if you have such a hard on to disprove what I think, the burden of proof is on you.

Angry Sentinel said:
So every action movie ever made is good because it used plot developement over character developement???

How about every good action movie ever made?
You should run along, to your local library and work on your reading comprehension.

okim08 said:
I just have a feeling that POTC will win box office champ of the summer.
After a 20 year absence from the big screen, I think people are more anxious to see Superman again!

Captain Kirk said:
After a 20 year absence from the big screen, I think people are more anxious to see Superman again!

To be honest, I'm really not that excited about Superman. We already have Smallville, which I like, but I don't think I would see the movie.

liamoversion2 said:
But that just swings right back to my point... the plot comes from the characters and their motivations because no two people will behave exactly the same in an identical situation. Everything that goes into their psychological, physiological and sociological make up is what decides that. That's where your story comes from...

Ah no. A plot and character development are seperate entities, there is some intertwining in dramatic tales, in character driven stories, but not so much in plot driven tales. In disaster movies, and horror and action, the characters actions aren't dictated by their personalities, they are in response to external stimuli, i.e. conflict. How they respond is where their personalities shine, but the focus of action movies is to wow us with the how it gets done, not why it was done.

But this is a waste of my time, you have it in your head that I claimed action needs no char. development to be good. I have repeatedly stated it is always a nessecary component, it just needs to take a back seat to the visceral stimulation, or it's not a very good action movie.

You want to disagree with me, fine. To each their own.

AVP82 said:
To be honest, I'm really not that excited about Superman. We already have Smallville, which I like, but I don't think I would see the movie.
:( That's truely sad ,because Smallville is definately NOT Superman!

AVP82 said:

I agree, I'm sure we'll all go see SR. I just know most of the kids, who make movies like ICE AGE or Shrek go thru the roof, are more excited to see POTC. SR is going to be good, I have no doubt about it. Look what Singer did for X-men, plus the trailer was pretty impressive. But, hands down POTC is going to be the box office winner of the summer. I'm just happy X-men opened a full month before SR and POTC battle each other. :up:

narrows101 said:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197369,00.html

X-Men 3 Will Pass ‘M:I: III’ Today

By the time American audiences have finished passing through movie theater turnstiles today, "X-Men: The Last Stand" will surpass “Mission: Impossible III” – possibly known as "Tom Cruise’s Last Stand," in tickets sold.

It is predicted that the final “X Men” movie could hit between $124 and $127 million dollars on its fourth day of release. M:I:III should end the holiday weekend at a total of around $116 million on its 25th day in theaters.

The numbers tell the story. Each are good action flicks, with plenty of wild special effects. But the "X-Men" cast of nine or so principals welcomed the public, while the "M:I:III" main star did everything he could to turn us off.
Ironically, "X-Men" director Brett Ratner was one of the names briefly considered to direct “M:I:III” during the shuffle of events that brought J.J. Abrams, of “Alias" fame, to that movie and original “X-Men” director Bryan Singer to “Superman Returns.” Ratner, of course, was up for the latter job before Singer, as Singer was supposed to finish his “X-Men” trilogy.

And here’s a little movie gossip for you: On Friday night, Ratner bought a bunch of tickets and took his friends, who included former fiancée Rebecca Gayheart, her husband, Salma Hayek and Ratner’s girlfriend Alina to Mann’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood to watch “X Men 3” with a real audience. When the show was over, they ran into Singer, who’d snuck in to see what Ratner had done with his franchise.

“He kept saying, It’s unbelievable, it’s unbelievable,” says a source who was present at the accidental meeting. Singer, of course, must be kicking himself that he abandoned X-Men. (And who does that, by the way? What was he thinking?)

The big winner here is Hugh Jackman, who plays Wolverine. Now that “X-Men: The Last Stand” has proven to be a mega hit, Jackman will clean up with a sequel based on his character and perhaps featuring cameos from the others, if not a full-fledged romantic pairing with either Storm (Halle Berry) or Jean Grey (Famke Janssen).

Ratner’s stock also shoots up very high, as “X-Men: The Last Stand” enters the record books. He starts filming “Rush Hour 3” (he also did the first two) for New Line Cinema in August, with locations in Paris and New York. That means that next summer, Ratner could own either Memorial Day (again) or July 4, making him the thinking man’s Michael Bay, if nothing else.

well it sounds like singer really enjoy X3 .

okim08 said:
I agree, I'm sure we'll all go see SR. I just know most of the kids, who make movies like ICE AGE or Shrek go thru the roof, are more excited to see POTC. SR is going to be good, I have no doubt about it. Look what Singer did for X-men, plus the trailer was pretty impressive. But, hands down POTC is going to be the box office winner of the summer. I'm just happy X-men opened a full month before SR and POTC battle each other. :up:
See thats funny because I can see the kids getting behind SR, but what do I know anymore. I am 25 and when I was a kid I loved Superman and couldn't wait to see another one. :supes: WILL ALWAYS BE THE GREATEST TO ME!

Captain Kirk said:
:( That's truely sad ,because Smallville is definately NOT Superman!

Yeah, but I just don't think Superman Returns really offers anything new...plus I'm not liking that Lex Luthor... :)

I agree with you Captain Kirk. The feeling I had when I first saw Superman 1 was Euphoric, and I was probably only 11 when I first saw it. I just think kids these days have different heroes, but I could be wrong. SR may make 300 million.

okim08 said:
I agree with you Captain Kirk. The feeling I had when I first saw Superman 1 was Euphoric, and I was probably only 11 when I first saw it. I just think kids these days have different heroes, but I could be wrong. SR may make 300 million.
I guess we will see soon Okim! I have a feeling that SR will surprise alot of people!

I have no doubt it's going to be a good movie, here's to hoping it does well. I'd love for it to do well. As much as I hated Singer leaving the X franchise, he's a damn good director.

narrows101 said:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,197369,00.html

X-Men 3 Will Pass ‘M:I: III’ Today

By the time American audiences have finished passing through movie theater turnstiles today, "X-Men: The Last Stand" will surpass “Mission: Impossible III” – possibly known as "Tom Cruise’s Last Stand," in tickets sold.

It is predicted that the final “X Men” movie could hit between $124 and $127 million dollars on its fourth day of release. M:I:III should end the holiday weekend at a total of around $116 million on its 25th day in theaters.

The numbers tell the story. Each are good action flicks, with plenty of wild special effects. But the "X-Men" cast of nine or so principals welcomed the public, while the "M:I:III" main star did everything he could to turn us off.
Ironically, "X-Men" director Brett Ratner was one of the names briefly considered to direct “M:I:III” during the shuffle of events that brought J.J. Abrams, of “Alias" fame, to that movie and original “X-Men” director Bryan Singer to “Superman Returns.” Ratner, of course, was up for the latter job before Singer, as Singer was supposed to finish his “X-Men” trilogy.

And here’s a little movie gossip for you: On Friday night, Ratner bought a bunch of tickets and took his friends, who included former fiancée Rebecca Gayheart, her husband, Salma Hayek and Ratner’s girlfriend Alina to Mann’s Chinese Theater in Hollywood to watch “X Men 3” with a real audience. When the show was over, they ran into Singer, who’d snuck in to see what Ratner had done with his franchise.

“He kept saying, It’s unbelievable, it’s unbelievable,” says a source who was present at the accidental meeting. Singer, of course, must be kicking himself that he abandoned X-Men. (And who does that, by the way? What was he thinking?)

The big winner here is Hugh Jackman, who plays Wolverine. Now that “X-Men: The Last Stand” has proven to be a mega hit, Jackman will clean up with a sequel based on his character and perhaps featuring cameos from the others, if not a full-fledged romantic pairing with either Storm (Halle Berry) or Jean Grey (Famke Janssen).

Ratner’s stock also shoots up very high, as “X-Men: The Last Stand” enters the record books. He starts filming “Rush Hour 3” (he also did the first two) for New Line Cinema in August, with locations in Paris and New York. That means that next summer, Ratner could own either Memorial Day (again) or July 4, making him the thinking man’s Michael Bay, if nothing else.

Now this is my first time on this thread and i couldn't possibly read all of the posts but that is incredible! The movie was great and according to thexverse it sold more than the first2 x-films the opening week, beat out the davinci code, AND did better than Spiderman 2 and Batman begins THEIR opening week. (Sigh..) I wonder how Singer would have did x3?

Newb said:
Well I disagree, dominance of one aspect is paramount to a story's success. A movie that was as funny as it is scary, is a lame comedy, and a piss poor horror movie. You seem to think a double standard applies to action movies, that they need to be as dramatic as they are visceral, which leads to superficial drama, and boring action.

To each their own, I respect your opinion even though I don't agree with it.
I really don't need you to agree, especially since you seem insistent on missing my opinion. You are criss/crossing the genre of a film with the elements that make up the film. Yes, plot developement and character developement may be handled with different severity in each genre, but that doesn't mean that they need to be lopsided depending upon the genre. In fact most 'bad' movies don't develope one of these areas enough to keep up with the other. Since you seem set on the action movie example, let's take a look at one...

Rambo vs Rambo III

I think most of humanity would agree that one of these movies is actually a pretty good movie. I believe that ONE of the biggest problems with the movie that made it less than good was, that it had tons of plot that had nothing to do with the character that was established in the other movie. It assumed too much, it focused solely on making the character more larger than life and completely ripped off the original 'feel' of the first movie. Almost a classic mistake done in sequels, but done nonetheless. What's even more sad is that this movie actually had the luxury of having one stronge, well, loved character... too bad they didn't feel a need to make the audience care about him again.

newb said:
You should run along, to your local library and work on your reading comprehension.
I'm just going to be the bigger 'poster' and apologize since I provoked you a little there. I did do it on purpose, just to be sure of what type of individual I am dealing with...

newb said:
In disaster movies, and horror and action, the characters actions aren't dictated by their personalities, they are in response to external stimuli, i.e. conflict. How they respond is where their personalities shine, but the focus of action movies is to wow us with the how it gets done, not why it was done.
Again, that may be the focus of typical action movie, which is why it isn't usually considered to be a good movie. But when one aspires to make a good movie, they usually do want the audience to care about the personality of the individual, and that this personality generally reflects DIRECTLY on their actions... the 'ass', will usually cause a lot of problems in the movie, the 'thinker' will want to figure a way out of the problem, etc. It's good to depict these individuals, it's often better when you can draw your audience in to care why they are the way they are. It's when these personality traits are not clearly defined on a good ratio with the plot that the movie leaves the audience with ambivalence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"