Daredevil Vincent D'Onofrio Cast as Kingpin!

I'm noticing the pattern for a good villain here. The best villains Magneto, Loki, Vulture, Nebula, Winter Soldier and etc have redeeming factors. Stuff that makes you want to see them again, deep roots and connections to the main characters.

Where as the fodder villains, Ronan, Whiplash, Malekith, Yellow Jacket and so on have generic backgrounds. No deeper motives than basic (i want to be rich/powerful) or serving as a human shield(basically) for the greater end villain.

I believe Marvel could give all these villains the same fleshed out vibe that the so called "Good Villains" have but simply don't because they have no current intention on them returning and have bigger and much more serious plans in motion for future conflicts involving better villains.
That's a good point, and I think that's true of screenwriting in general. The best villains are not 'I'm evil bwa ha ha ha ha!' cliches but characters with deep backstory and strong personal ties to the main protagonist. They are essentially the dark side of the protagonist, the shadow that always follows them around.

What is the redeeming qualities of Ledger's Joker? Hannibal Lecter? Emperor Palpatine? Anton Chigurh? Norman Bates? Mike Myers? Hans Gruber? Annie Wilkes? Nurse Ratched? The Terminator? The T-1000? Max Cady? Patrick Bateman? Jack Torrance?

What is the redeeming qualities of Ledger's Joker? Hannibal Lecter? Emperor Palpatine? Anton Chigurh? Norman Bates? Mike Myers? Hans Gruber? Annie Wilkes? Nurse Ratched? The Terminator? The T-1000? Max Cady? Patrick Bateman? Jack Torrance?

Mike Myers had redeeming qualities. He was Austin Powers and Dr Evil.

In light of the events of Luke Cage season 2, I can't help but imagine how things are looking great for Fisk.

Everything that's happened since Fisk was arrested at the end of Daredevil season 1 has guaranteed that he will be able to swoop in once he gets out of jail in season 3 and rebuild and reclaim his criminal empire, on a larger scale than what he used to have. The power vacuum is real. Cottonmouth and Mariah are dead. Diamondback is gone. The Hand have fallen, and a large number of smaller outfit gangs have been eliminated in the course of several gang wars. The underworld has been so disrupted by people like Matt, Frank, and Luke, that it is ripe for a takeover. It's kind of a fortunate thing for Fisk that he was sent to jail cause he's perfectly set up to grow his empire. And the only part he did himself was overthrowing Dutton to take control of the prison economy.

In this quest for dominance, Fisk is likely to be the ultimate winner, and Rosalie Carbone is probably going to be one of his main challengers for the throne. Her expansion into Harlem was pretty brutal, with her orchestrating several assassinations like Eric Hong, so she's ruthless enough that she might consider Fisk a worthy opponent.

I sure hope he's in every episode this season. I missed him in season 2

Norman bates is questionable to put in this category as he is somewhat sympathetic in the fact that we know he has a clear mental issue, and it's implied his mother was an abusive figure.

But other than that, I agree.

In light of the events of Luke Cage season 2, I can't help but imagine how things are looking great for Fisk.

Man, spoilers for Luke Cage second season in the rest of your post. Not cool. :cmad:
Spoiler tag them please. :cwink:

I'm wondering if Netflix/Marvel is open to a Kingpin solo mini-series, 10 episodes or something. Kind of like Marvel's answer to Breaking Bad. Maybe before the era of superheroes showing up.

I'm wondering if Netflix/Marvel is open to a Kingpin solo mini-series, 10 episodes or something. Kind of like Marvel's answer to Breaking Bad. Maybe before the era of superheroes showing up.

I dunno. We kind of already had that in Season 1 of DD, showing him actually breaking bad. I don't think it would be all that interesting to see a pre-Season 1 Fisk. I'm sure Netflix would love that though, because it wouldn't involve any costumes or any kind of super powers.

I dunno. We kind of already had that in Season 1 of DD, showing him actually breaking bad. I don't think it would be all that interesting to see a pre-Season 1 Fisk. I'm sure Netflix would love that though, because it wouldn't involve any costumes or any kind of super powers.

I'm sure season 3 can provide some expositional dialogue that can fill in Fisk's rise to power.

Dios mio.
giphy.gif

Dominic Patton from Deadline Hollywood said in his review about Daredevil S3, that D’Onofrio should get a Golden Globe/Emmy nomination for his performance this season.

So good to have Fisk back.

Dominic Patton from Deadline Hollywood said in his review about Daredevil S3, that D’Onofrio should get a Golden Globe/Emmy nomination for his performance this season.

I think so too!

hqdefault.jpg

Vincent D’Onofrio Talks Getting Blood On Fisk’s White Suit | EXTENDED

5.9K views 2 days ago Published on 23 Oct 2018

"Daredevil” is back on Netflix for season 3 and so is Vincent D’Onofrio as the Big Bad, Wilson Fisk. The actor reveals what it was like putting on his character’s iconic white suit and talks about his relationship with series newcomer Jay Ali. While Elden Henson shares how Foggy’s relationship with Matt Murdock changes in the new season and Joanne Whalley talks joining the cast.

source: ET Canada Youtube channel

To be honest I still don't like him as the Kingpin. He sounds more like a whiny kid than anything else. I much prefer Michael Clarke Duncan's Kingpin to this one.

I doubt Disney will care about that considering how high up on the food chain they are regarding entertainment. But if they can integrate his Kingpin in the MCU that I would be fine with.

I feel that this version of Kingpin where he's at right now wouldn't quite fit into the MCU. I like Vincent D'Onofrio for the role, but if he were in the MCU he needs to be reset or rebooted slightly. He almost needs to be Season 1 Kingpin but with Season 3's white suit and power to control the feds. He can't really be a convicted criminal in prison. I think he needs to have the appearance of a legitimate businessman, which is where he was in Season 1.

Now maybe they can sweep all of season 1-3 under the carpet and just don't mention anything, leaving it ambiguous whether he's the same Kingpin from the same continuity or just a new Kingpin played by the same actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"