WandaVision WandaVision: Season 1, episode 4 "We Interrupt This Program" (spoilers)

Well, the writers said they’re inspired by Malcom... overall. Even though each episode has a different decade of inspiration(s) specific to that decade.

It will be just the done-mom-look I think which comes from Malcolm.

Creepy Acting Director Guy said that Maria "built this place from the ground up" and that Monica "grew up here". So counting back from 2023 I'd subtract 5 blip years plus another 20. That facility didn't exactly pop up overnight. I'd put the founding of SWORD at around 1998, three years or so after the events of Captain Marvel. From what CADG said, they were solely focused on space pre blip then turned to earth concerns, likely in part due to the vacuum created after the fall of SHIELD.
Yeah my guess is that SWORD was an internal division built within SHIELD (thus Maria being the one to form it, since she was basically recruited into SHIELD by Fury at the end of CM) focused on extra-dimensional/extra-terrestrial monitoring (Carol!) until SHIELD “went under” in TWS, where (probably after some political deliberating), SWORD was allowed to stay alive and be its own thing, filling some roles SHIELD would have before (a way for politicians to still have “a SHIELD” while looking like they disbanded it as the public probably demanded at the time). Who knows, maybe that’s where Fury was still getting his resources from after that. But I’d imagine SWORD would’ve become much more prominent after Thanos.

I bet director Hayworth is a Skrull. He‘s seems very sinister. But he‘s not the villain in this - saved for Secret Invasion

Man, I was kinda "done" with the MCU after such a satisfying finale with Endgame (even After loving Far from home), but Wandavision instantly pulled me in again. Such a Crazy ride so far! Maybe It also has to do with how ****ing ****ty these last 12 or so months have been, but I'm SO glad to have my weekly dose of MCU. Thank you Kevin Feige & co.

Any chance of a mod adding the titles of these episodes to the episode threads? This one was called "We interrupt this program".

Also how about splitting the posts about the first two episodes away from the general spoiler thread so we can just talk about those two without getting spoilers for any future episodes?

Any chance of a mod adding the titles of these episodes to the episode threads? This one was called "We interrupt this program".
Sure.

Also how about splitting the posts about the first two episodes away from the general spoiler thread so we can just talk about those two without getting spoilers for any future episodes?
Those two episodes already have their own threads.

A little unsure how I felt about this episode. What it revealed about the plot is cool but, I dunno, feels a bit... Early to be breaking the sitcom atmosphere fully? Even though we're halfwayish through the show? Feels like they established a really good, slow-burn, increasingly unsettling atmosphere and then just tore it down unnecessarily. Opinion might very well change by the time the series ends though, as of right now it just seems like they went really bland and obvious for no good reason.

Love me some Randall Park though.

A little unsure how I felt about this episode. What it revealed about the plot is cool but, I dunno, feels a bit... Early to breaking the sitcom atmosphere fully? Even though we're halfwayish through the show? Feels like they established a really good, slow-burn, increasingly unsettling atmosphere and then just tore it down unnecessarily. Opinion might very well change by the time the series ends though.
I'm guessing that was initially the plan, but Marvel at some point stepped in and said, "move that reveal up because people aren't that patient and won't want to stick with it," and based on a lot of reactions I've seen, they would've been right about that, lol.

I'm guessing that was initially the plan, but Marvel at some point stepped in and said, "move that reveal up because people aren't that patient and won't want to stick with it," and based on a lot of reactions I've seen, they would've been right about that, lol.
Lord, that was a mistake if they did. Unless the next few episodes also heavily directly involve the real world this was such an obvious misstep.

Lord, that was a mistake if they did. Unless the next few episodes also heavily directly involve the real world this was such an obvious misstep.
Can't say I agree. I have a friend who hasn't made it past episode 2 because it "wasn't Marvel-y enough." I think giving them 3 episodes of that was plenty, personally. And I say that as someone who enjoyed all three. But if they had gone on much longer, the teasing would've gotten tedious, imo, and it was already testing other peoples' patience as it was. Especially since most people had a pretty good idea of what was going on already...it would've started to feel more like stalling than anything else. I could've done with another episode or two before pulling back the curtain, but the final episodes are an hour long each and there are obviously still reveals to come, so I don't see this being some huge mistake. But we'll have to see how the rest of it plays out before saying for certain. In my mind though, those 1st 3 episodes were basically Act 1. This was the "turn" kicking off Act 2. Which is fine from a pacing standpoint, I would think.

Can't say I agree. I have a friend who hasn't made it past episode 2 because it "wasn't Marvel-y enough." I think giving them 3 episodes of that was plenty, personally. And I say that as someone who enjoyed all three. But if they had gone on much longer, the teasing would've gotten tedious, imo, and it was already testing other peoples' patience as it was. I could've done with another episode or two before pulling back the curtain, but the final episodes are an hour long each and there are obviously still reveals to come, so I don't see this being some huge mistake.
That's fair, the style of the MCU doesn't really do anything for me (even in a twenty-two minute segment I was getting bored by the end) so how divorced this show felt from that tone was what was drawing me in, especially since Tom King's The Vision from which this clearly draws inspiration might be my all-time favourite Marvel comic (aside from maybe Marvels). But, obviously, Marvel was never going to do a slow-burn Twin Peaks-ian surrealist suburban horror show that fully commits to the bit so not exactly a shocker.

Olson's performance in that last scene is absolutely great though. She and Bettany give such depth to these characters and the idea of her creating a literal world around herself where she can hide from her grief and be with Vision again is a great, emotionally resonant concept.

Early to be breaking the sitcom atmosphere fully?
This was the best episode. I wasn't looking forward to another crappy sitcom with easter eggs. This episode hooked me when I was close to checking out.

I really don't care to watch reruns of Dick Van Dyke, Bewitched, Brady Bunch, Family Ties, etc. Additionally the easter eggs and intrigue were WAYYYYYY too sparse.

The first 3 episode weren't a slow burn. Not even simmering. It was just boring and lame. I hope we can say good riddance to that.

Last edited:
Could you indulge me? I stopped watching that show after s2...
About midway through the series (shortly after Ultron), the show diverged from movies. It became very noticeable with the snap. Not to ruin the show for you, but they fell into an alternate universe...with time travel, space travel, mysticism, space aliens, and androids. The separation from MCU gave them liberty and made a better show.

I see people saying they may have pulled the trigger early on the "reveal".

But technically they didn't really reveal. More so teased a possibility. And the way the next episodes are looking. We have a lot more questions to go before any of the dots are connected. Even then, I feel like the show will have a Season 2 or sequel of sorts(*cough* Doctor Strange 2 *cough*) so it's safe to say we're far from the bottom of the barrel.

Sure.

Those two episodes already have their own threads.

I can't see those threads or find them in the WandaVision forum. I know people started discussing it in the spoiler thread but am not sure if there was a separate one, or at least I can't find it.

I can't see those threads or find them in the WandaVision forum. I know people started discussing it in the spoiler thread but am not sure if there was a separate one, or at least I can't find it.
You probably aren't displaying enough threads. At the bottom of the WandaVision forum, there are Thread Display options. If you display older threads and scroll down, you should see them. Here's the one for Episode 1:
WandaVision: Season 1, Episode 1 "Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience" (spoilers)

And Episode 2:
WandaVision: Season 1, Episode 2 "Don't Touch That Dial" (spoilers)

You probably aren't displaying enough threads. At the bottom of the WandaVision forum, there are Thread Display options. If you display older threads and scroll down, you should see them. Here's the one for Episode 1:
WandaVision: Season 1, Episode 1 "Filmed Before a Live Studio Audience" (spoilers)

And Episode 2:
WandaVision: Season 1, Episode 2 "Don't Touch That Dial" (spoilers)

Those don't appear at all in the WandaVision forum no matter which thread display option I select. It only shows 20 threads and will say eg "showing threads 1-10 of 20" or "11-20 of 20".

It's as if they simply don't exist or are hidden by some kind of cloaking device or forcefield like Westview.

Wow, great episode. We finally get the outside world view of what is going on. So much happened here but above all I’m so glad to see Rambeau in our universe.

I definitely am on the side of wishing they could have maintained the illusion a little longer, but judging by the reactions of so many fans (including some on here) it seems that they made the right call. I just hope those same people don't go running around complaining about the formula once movies start hitting again.

Anyway, being more generically Marvel, this episode wasn't quite as engrossing for me. But that first scene was PERFECT and Paris as Monica is shining. It was great to have Darcy and Woo back. And it seems that my guess towards the nature of Westfield proved accurate. New theories for me hold that Simon Williams is the man in witness protection that Woo is looking for, but I have no idea how they'd tie Wonder Man/Grim Reaper into everything else that's going on.

I definitely am on the side of wishing they could have maintained the illusion a little longer, but judging by the reactions of so many fans (including some on here) it seems that they made the right call. I just hope those same people don't go running around complaining about the formula once movies start hitting again.

Anyway, being more generically Marvel, this episode wasn't quite as engrossing for me. But that first scene was PERFECT and Paris as Monica is shining. It was great to have Darcy and Woo back. And it seems that my guess towards the nature of Westfield proved accurate. New theories for me hold that Simon Williams is the man in witness protection that Woo is looking for, but I have no idea how they'd tie Wonder Man/Grim Reaper into everything else that's going on.

Isn't Westfield a shopping centre in the UK?

westfield-510-384.jpg

Don't you mean Westview?

I'm glad they showed this episode early because all of my RL friends/family stopped watching with me because the sit com angle was "too much" and they'd rather just binge it at once. I think it's a good medium for those of us that are fine with slow burns and the others that aren't.

After watching this episode again, I have a different theory about the sheriffs "amnesia" and not remembering Westview. I don't think they have amnesia at all, in fact. He specifically states that he's from Eastview. I think Westview IS Eastview. I excepted him to pull out a map (or GPS on his phone), and show Woo and Monica like "this is where we are. The town here is suppose to be Eastview, not Westview." I think Wanda (or the still unrevealed villian) intentionally turned Eastview into Westview. Hope I didn't confuse anybody.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"