Comics Wanted: A good Spidey read...

Yea, I work 24 hour shift, and I was doing a report when I was talking to you...so I wasn't awake at the time by choice. :p I go to sleep really late too when I get caught up doing something.

Kraven's last hunt is pricey, but for the HC, that's not too bad.

3dman27 said:
you forgot about gathering of the sinester six and i completely agree about thesinister six trilogy

Ha! If only I had actually *read* "Gathering of the Sinister Six"! [first book of Castro's trilogy, for those who don't know what we're talking about]. Its never been released as a paperback, so secondhand copies on Amazon or eBay run about $70-80. I love Castro's work, but pay that I will not.

If you own "Gathering," you have a little treasure there. Don't let it out of your sight :)

[and yeah, props to Larsen's "Revenge of the Sinister Six" TPB. IMO that is a classic Spidey story and deserving of a read in its own right.]

Symbiotica said:
Ha! If only I had actually *read* "Gathering of the Sinister Six"! [first book of Castro's trilogy, for those who don't know what we're talking about]. Its never been released as a paperback, so secondhand copies on Amazon or eBay run about $70-80. I love Castro's work, but pay that I will not.

If you own "Gathering," you have a little treasure there. Don't let it out of your sight :)
actually it was released in paperback the reason that you only got the last two parts is that shortly after gathering came out mr castro became ill delaying the remaining books and the publisher had some problems

In my defense, Sym, th' only reason I post "fan fiction" is 'cause I don't have any connections to get anythin' published any time soon. An' I gotta use th' ideas Marvel keeps rejectin' somewhere.

The Venom Factor, Lizard Sanction and Octopus Agenda.

Classics.

I never read the Octopus agenda.It's very hard to find :(

I heard it features Ock [obviously]and Venom,and that Ock beats up Venom in it :D

Symbiotica said:

[and yeah, props to Larsen's "Revenge of the Sinister Six" TPB. IMO that is a classic Spidey story and deserving of a read in its own right.]
Oh, great. Since it's the first in a trilogy, now I HAVE to find it, before I can read the others.

Actually, I found a paperback version available at Amazon (new/used). But since the others I've already ordered are hardback versions, I was hoping to find Gathering in HB too. Glad to know it exists.

3dman27 said:
actually it was released in paperback th reason that you only got the last two parts is that shortly after gathering came out mr castro became ill delaying the remaining books and the publisher had some problems

I meant that [thinks how to explain this] when I got hold of "Secret" it was as a single volume; I actually found it at a local Walmart and thought, "Hmm, let's give this a try."

This was right after the 1st movie. Last year right around the time of the 2nd movie's release, I found an omnibus paperback of the two bound into one volume - WITHOUT "Gathering" included. That was okay though, I'd already bought a used hardback copy of "Revenge" off Amazon.com cheap. How or why rereleasing only the last two makes sense, I dunno. But I came into the game too late to acquire "Gathering"... they seem bent on not re-releasing that. :(

And Captivated, these books stand on their own extremely well - you can easily get into the action without having read "Gathering" first. Although that would be nice, it's not essential.

Wolverine said:
In my defense, Sym, th' only reason I post "fan fiction" is 'cause I don't have any connections to get anythin' published any time soon. An' I gotta use th' ideas Marvel keeps rejectin' somewhere.

I wasn't specifically referring to your fanfiction, Wolverine, I have not read it; I was just speaking in general. [I have written a few myself, but none of them would be suitable to be posted on the Hype]. The great thing about fanfiction is the author is not bound by Marvel's nicey-nice little rulebook that states only certain outcomes are allowed - and no visible blood, please. :)

I was more referring to [for example] a fanfic I recently found by accident featuring Black Cat being first raped by two teenaged boys and then brutally raped by Carnage. Regardless of what I may think of BC myself, such works are the nadir of fandom and make all of us look bad by default. LOL! It was really just atrocious, trust me... it seems this sort of thing [or slash fanfics] make up the bulk of fan-fiction, and its actually pretty sad.

Yep, finding good Spidey literature isn't exactly an easy thing.

Symbiotica said:
...Regardless of what I may think of BC myself, such works are the nadir of fandom and make all of us look bad by default. LOL! It was really just atrocious, trust me... it seems this sort of thing [or slash fanfics] make up the bulk of fan-fiction, and its actually pretty sad.

Yep, finding good Spidey literature isn't exactly an easy thing.
Yeah... juvenile, twisted, slash and major Mary Sue's... a lot of that fan fic was quite disturbing.
:(

That's why I'm glad to get such good suggestions here. :)

Oh I know, Sym. Just statin' my involvement fer th' record.

Doc Ock said:
I never read the Octopus agenda.It's very hard to find :(

I heard it features Ock [obviously]and Venom,and that Ock beats up Venom in it :D

Indeed it does!

It also has the best Octopus-evil-plot EVER.

Operation Hundred Days.

You go, Octopus.

Also, check out Carnage in New York, I thought it was done well.

AmaznSpider-Fan said:
Kraven's Last Hunt is one of my favorite Spidey stories. It's a bit darker than usual Spidey stories, but it's very much justified. Pick this arc up ASAP! :)
Kraven's Last Hunt is one GREAT read indeed.:up:

Captivated said:
Yeah... juvenile, twisted, slash and major Mary Sue's... a lot of that fan fic was quite disturbing.
:(

That's why I'm glad to get such good suggestions here. :)
i know who mary JANE is
who's mary SUE?

yeah thats the one.

I'm happy w/ SSM & FNSM right now.
Not considering Spidey's overall status quo (which is kinda f**ked) these two books are pretty damn sweet. I really dig the new team on SSM, and I also really dig Ringo on FNSM plus that it looks like Hobby is returning!!!
Cool.

Here's a good reading list...

Amazing Spider-Man # 1-150, 224-300.

Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1 # 43-60, 72-200.

Web of Spider-Man # 29-70.

Marvel Team-Up Vol. 1 # 54-80.

Really, ANYTHING from the Good Old Days is GOLD compared to today's stuff.

Gregatron said:
Here's a good reading list...

Amazing Spider-Man # 1-150, 224-300.

Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1 # 43-60, 72-200.

Web of Spider-Man # 29-70.

Marvel Team-Up Vol. 1 # 54-80.

Really, ANYTHING from the Good Old Days is GOLD compared to today's stuff.
I was actually looking for compulations and novels... but I know what you mean about the good ole days! :up:

Is the SSM referenced above the same title contained in the Essential just released? It's the first one (and I have them all) that seemed slow to me... new supporting cast, lack of relationships... ok, but not great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"