Comics The Lizard returns to SM comics in February! ("Gauntlet" related)

One of the covers to Marvel 1985 # 1 has the Lizard on it in a group shot. The artist is Jimmy Cheung and I believe it's listed as either cover a or b on the credits page.

Got it. It's either cover B or C, since both are listed on the credits page.

As for the first installment of "Shed" in ASM #630...

Pretty much as expected with the Connors situation so far. It was interesting that [blackout]Marissa's sleepover date with *****ebag King was what pushed Curt over the edge[/blackout], as well as the fact that [blackout]Connors' hidden serum was actually an anti-Lizard treatment that he was trying to use to keep himself from transforming[/blackout].

Since the Peter's focus seems to have shifted from Felicia to Carlie in this issue, maybe the Black Cat won't be back to encounter the Lizard after all...we'll see.

Also, I picked up the alternate cover version of ASM 630 as well. I hate the overpriced alt cover gimmick, but I have to have all those different Lizard covers! I'm such a tool.

Well, to make up for the fact that I didn’t do reviews for the last two issues due to computer issues, here’s an early analysis about what I thought of part 1 of Zeb Wells and Chris Bachelor’s “Shed” story (Amazing Spider-Man #630).

*Chris Bachalo’s art work definitely has a unique and energetic style, very reminiscent of manga, and the inks by Townsend and Mendoza and Fabela colors really make his work incredibly vibrant. And unlike previous issues, Bachalo’s work doesn’t feel as though he’s trying to cram everything into the panel. Certainly the strongest sequences are the opening pages with Spidey and the Black Cat taking down the armored car robbery, the splash-page of Madame Web’s vision, and Dr. Connor’s succumbing to becoming the Lizard once again.

*In terms of Zeb Wells’ story, the strongest aspects come from Dr. Curt Connors’ trying to keep his life in order as he struggles with keeping the Lizard at bay. The scene in which Curt tries to reconnect with his son while under the watchful eye of the child welfare worker is very effective, reminding readers just how traumatic Billy’s life has been what with his father’s history of turning into a monster and the death of his mother. Same with his ever-growing hatred for his new boss and his lustful desires towards his young assistant, Marissa. Granted, it’s playing on the familiar trope of “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” and it’s subtext of trying to hold back one’s aggression and sexual desires, but it fits well with Connors, especially the angle that, even in human form, he still has reptilian like tendencies, thoughts, and instincts. Considering how the theme of this issue is obviously the ways we repress physical and emotional attraction towards others, it’s certainly and appropriate usage of the darker side to romance compared to Peter’s.

*However, it’s whenever Wells focuses on Peter’s girl problems is when the issue flatters. In the case of Spidey and Black Cat’s “friends with benefits” arrangement, the problem is not that it wasn’t properly established, but it regurgitates what should already established. The reader is asked to believe that Peter was utterly clueless and in denial over the idea that his causal relationship with Felicia wasn’t going to develop into something more than just “having fun,” despite the fact that Felicia has repeatedly told him they’re not dating and are not a couple numerous times in previous issues. I suppose, however, the Black Cat telling Spidey that she doesn’t let their “having fun” get in the way of her being open to “something better coming along” was supposed to drive this point home. Yet, this seems contrary to Black Cat’s character, however, since it’s been well established she has an obsessive love for Spidey more than any other man; here, it seems like she has no respect for him at all other than using him to get herself off.

*Likewise, while I certainly accept the idea that Peter was reluctant to start seriously dating Carlie Cooper because of his causal relationship with the Black Cat as Spidey, I don’t buy Harry’s explanation that Peter got into a causal relationship in the first place in order to avoid his true feelings for Carlie. If anything (and it’s been clearly established by Joe Kelly in his two part Black Cat arc) Peter got into a “friends with benefits” arrangement with the Black Cat in order to avoid his problems with Mary Jane’s sudden return into his life. Carlie didn’t even factor into his decision at all, and there’s a far stronger case to be made that Peter got involved with the Black Cat and was reluctant to date Carlie because, deep down, he still has feelings for MJ (which even Wells hints at given that Peter wanted to talk to MJ about his problems instead of Harry and the way Harry tries to reassure Peter he meant nothing when he said he and MJ were “a team” and “two peas in a pod” as Peter sullenly stares at him). Of course, it’s all part of the effort to try to convince readers just how “perfect” Carlie is for Peter and to set-up up their oh so cute “lunch date” at Carlie’s workplace, thus bring them closer together as a couple. Gee, you don’t think Wells making things go so well this early for Peter and Carlie at the beginning of the story after setting up Peter’s realization he wasn’t going anywhere with Felicia and that now two people (Harry and Norah) are aware that he was having a causal relationship isn’t going to come back and bite Peter in the ass, do you?

*Also, is anyone else really wishing that the whole “corrupted Aunt May” plot would just be over and done with already? Even though it’s only been around for about five months and was unique when it was first introduced, it’s going nowhere fast with these repeated scene of Aunt May giving everyone and everything a hard time.

Overall, I think this was a good start to this story, even though a lot of it was merely setting things up for the other three parts. Maybe it seems apparent already where some of these narrative strands are heading, but, based on this issue, it looks as though were going to get quite a decent tale.

Same with his ever-growing hatred for his new boss and his lustful desires towards his young assistant, Marissa. Granted, it’s playing on the familiar trope of “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde” and it’s subtext of trying to hold back one’s aggression and sexual desires, but it fits well with Connors, especially the angle that, even in human form, he still has reptilian like tendencies, thoughts, and instincts.

I'm curious and a little frightened as to how far this aspect of the Lizard's brain is going to go. I hope we don't get [blackout]the Lizard trying to rape Marissa[/blackout], since the Lizard is supposed to hate humans after all. A real lizard would never behave in such a manner with a mammal, but I suppose since we're dealing with a lizard-man here, anything is possible.

Also, is anyone else really wishing that the whole “corrupted Aunt May” plot would just be over and done with already? Even though it’s only been around for about five months and was unique when it was first introduced, it’s going nowhere fast with these repeated scene of Aunt May giving everyone and everything a hard time.

Hear,hear! It's a ridiculous subplot and needs to be dealt with and dismissed ASAP.

Well I thought issue 630 was great, I really liked it and my god did my jaw drop when I saw that last page.:awesome: Bachalo was the perfect artist for a story featuring the Lizard. Must say however, I'm a little disappointed that Bachalo won't be drawing all of the next issue as he will be getting some help from Emma Rios (and no I have nothing against Rios, so I mean no offense), who will be drawing 8 pages. Of course if Rios is being brought on for a specific reason other than as a fill in artist than I guess I won't be disappointed.

One aspect that I liked about this issue is how it touched upon almost all of Spidey's current supporting cast, which reminded me of ASM #44. That issue had the perfect balance between both Spidey's and Peter's life.

Lets see:

"there's a twist halfway through [the story] that sort of changes his [the Lizard] status quo." - Zeb Wells, Newsarama interview

"a shocking and devastating event will cause Doctor Curt Connors to be completely over taken by his scaly altar ego" -Blair Butler, G4 special on upcoming "Shed" story

"What Lizard does in this story will shock you" -Tom Brennan, Marvel.com interview

"[next] issue that contains the single most frightening Lizard scene you've ever read" -Steve Wacker, letters page in issue 630.

Yeah, the Lizard is going to do something bad. Eat Billy? Try and mate with Marissa? I wouldn't have thought that possible until you mentioned it The Lizard. But I see how you came to that with the prelude from Web of #6 and how Curt acted/ reacted towards Marissa in 630.

I was also thinking that the Lizard could go after that social worker who was preventing Curt from seeing Billy, but does this version of the Lizard even care about Billy enough to do that? And what will Anna Kravenoff do to make the situation worse for Spidey?
Can't wait to see where this goes next week!

I'm curious and a little frightened as to how far this aspect of the Lizard's brain is going to go. I hope we don't get [blackout]the Lizard trying to rape Marissa[/blackout], since the Lizard is supposed to hate humans after all. A real lizard would never behave in such a manner with a mammal, but I suppose since we're dealing with a lizard-man here, anything is possible.

That idea actually did cross my mind the moment I read the statement by Steve Wacker that says part two contains "the single most frightening Lizard scene you ever read" and then took a second look at the cover for next issue and went "Oh no...[blackout]they're not only going to have the Lizard rape Marrisia, she's going to end up violently giving birth to a bunch of humaniod reptile babies."[/blackout] If that were to happen, I really don't know how even the most die-hard Spider-Man fans would react to that.

I was also thinking that the Lizard could go after that social worker who was preventing Curt from seeing Billy, but does this version of the Lizard even care about Billy enough to do that? And what will Anna Kravenoff do to make the situation worse for Spidey?
Can't wait to see where this goes next week!

My guess is that
Anna is going to kill Billy since, according to Madame Web's visions, he's key to Dr. Connor's salvation. So if Billy was out of the picture, there would be no reason for Dr. Connor to be human again.

Just read ASM # 631.... yikes.

I looks like [blackout]the Lizard may have actually killed Billy[/blackout]. :csad:

Not sure how I feel about this. I will wait until part 3 to form an opinion.

Read issue 631 and so far all I can say is that this story is definitely unlike any Lizard story from before. Looks like not only is Billy dead but so is Curt in that the Lizard persona is fully in control and might be for the foreseeable future. If so than my predictions were correct. However, I didn’t think the Lizard was going to eat Billy, thought Billy was going to die by some other means. Super excited for the part 3 and oh yeah, Spider-Lizard returns? Love that cover. Matter of fact I think all of the covers for this Lizard story have been great. It’s hard to choose which one is my favorite.

Last edited:
All right, here's some more of my in-depth thoughts about this issue overall:

*Once again, we get another issue with a fill-in artist who couldn’t be more stylistically different, and as a result, they really do clash. Emma Rios is decent enough, and her two-page splash showing the police and forensic teams at the Phelcorp Industries lab is very nicely rendered, effectively showing the carnage and the wreckage of the Lizard’s attack without being graphic. Most of the time, however, it doesn’t really grab you, although it’s by no means awful. Chris Bachalo on the other hand…look, I thought last issue, he really did a bang-up job. And certainly there are a couple of pages where Spidey is fighting the Lizard and the other escaped reptiles where it really looks ferocious and energetic. But the rest of the time, it just looks chaotic and confusing. There’s too much of tendency to use narrow panels and bizarre close-ups, which makes everything look cramped and smooched together, and given some heavy usage of shading, it can be confusing as to what’s happening on the page. This is especially the case during the last few pages where the Lizard finds Billy.

*Story-wise from Zeb Wells, I find I’m a little mixed on a few things. First, we get a prologue of sorts of the Gauntlet, with Kaine coming across Ana Kravinoff and the battle that follows. Well, battle is a very loose term since Kaine barely is able to hold his own against and runs away in terror from a twelve-year old girl--granted a psychotic, highly-trained, and a very sick and twisted twelve year-old girl, but a twelve year old girl just the same. Certainly, the irony isn’t lost on anyone that, considering how Kaine built his “bad-ass” reputation by killing off another Kraven offspring, the Grim Hunter, but it does seem kind of silly to try and build Ana up as a threat by making Kaine out to be a chump--especially since he’s supposed to be Peter’s suped-up clone, no less.

*I did like the role-reversal Peter went through being “stood-up” by Carlie due to her work as a forensic investigator, with Pete also recognizing this and thinking he deserved it, given the times he’s had to blow people off because he’s Spider-Man. (I was kind of expecting a scene like this to occur, just not in this story, actually.) It helps to underscore the idea Carlie is essentially Peter’s non-powered female equivalent. But while I certainly understand this is supposed to make her more of an “ideal” love-interest for Peter, it’s actually where we see her and Spidey interact at the crime scene at Phelcorp, with her acting as an informant along the lines of Jean DeWolfe and Detective LaMont, that it comes off the best. This seems to be a case where their working relationship is actually better than any romantic relationship the writers are trying to instill with these two characters.

*Of course, the focus is once again on the Lizard and the internal dialogue between Dr. Connors and the Lizard, with Connors trying desperately to regain control. It’s certainly an effective narrative tactic, as it emphasizes not just the idea that both Connors and the Lizard are really two separate personalities, but that Connors really is essentially a spectator to what the Lizard does, which makes his transformation all the more horrifying.

*And it’s certainly what the Lizard does which is certainly going to unsettle quite a few readers and probably upset quite a few long-term Spidey fans. As if the Lizard cannibalizing King last issue, and later his gruesome attack on the lab workers (much less traumatizing his lab worker, Marissia) wasn’t enough, it looks as though he ends up also eating Billy Connors at the end of this issue, thus signifying that Connor’s, overcome with the loss of essentially murdering and devouring his own son , has succumbed completely (thanks to Ana Kravinoff’s interference and thus changing Madame Web’s precognitive vision from last issue). But it’s not just the implied cannibalism of a child which is a cause for concern, but also that this essentially removes the one element from the Lizard which made him a creature of sympathy as well as a monster. Now, with both his wife and son gone, he’s just a monster. While this may have been the point Wells was striving for, by removing all the humanity left out of the character, it just turns what was a “Jekyll and Hyde” character into just a mindless and savage beast for Spidey to fight. This seems like it would give future Lizard stories (if he is to survive this one, that is) a disservice and make the fights between Spidey and the Lizard less engaging.

I'll just repeat something I said over on the Comic Book Resources forum (hi, stillanerd! :woot: )...

I'm hoping that the fact that Billy still has the Lizard formula in his blood from the "Feral" storyline might come into play here...

All right, here's some more of my in-depth thoughts about this issue overall:

*Once again, we get another issue with a fill-in artist who couldn’t be more stylistically different, and as a result, they really do clash. Emma Rios is decent enough, and her two-page splash showing the police and forensic teams at the Phelcorp Industries lab is very nicely rendered, effectively showing the carnage and the wreckage of the Lizard’s attack without being graphic. Most of the time, however, it doesn’t really grab you, although it’s by no means awful. Chris Bachalo on the other hand…look, I thought last issue, he really did a bang-up job. And certainly there are a couple of pages where Spidey is fighting the Lizard and the other escaped reptiles where it really looks ferocious and energetic. But the rest of the time, it just looks chaotic and confusing. There’s too much of tendency to use narrow panels and bizarre close-ups, which makes everything look cramped and smooched together, and given some heavy usage of shading, it can be confusing as to what’s happening on the page. This is especially the case during the last few pages where the Lizard finds Billy.

I didn't mind this so much since it reminded me of McFarlane's Torment in a way. In fact I've seen much more confusing Bachalo art before this. The magic scenes from last year's New Avengers, for instance, was all over the place.

*And it’s certainly what the Lizard does which is certainly going to unsettle quite a few readers and probably upset quite a few long-term Spidey fans. As if the Lizard cannibalizing King last issue, and later his gruesome attack on the lab workers (much less traumatizing his lab worker, Marissia) wasn’t enough, it looks as though he ends up also eating Billy Connors at the end of this issue, thus signifying that Connor’s, overcome with the loss of essentially murdering and devouring his own son , has succumbed completely (thanks to Ana Kravinoff’s interference and thus changing Madame Web’s precognitive vision from last issue). But it’s not just the implied cannibalism of a child which is a cause for concern, but also that this essentially removes the one element from the Lizard which made him a creature of sympathy as well as a monster. Now, with both his wife and son gone, he’s just a monster. While this may have been the point Wells was striving for, by removing all the humanity left out of the character, it just turns what was a “Jekyll and Hyde” character into just a mindless and savage beast for Spidey to fight. This seems like it would give future Lizard stories (if he is to survive this one, that is) a disservice and make the fights between Spidey and the Lizard less engaging.

Honestly,
Curt Conners might be gone for a while
, but I don't see this as a permanent thing. It's really good character development for him actually. He isn't gone for good, he has too much in common with Peter, imo.

I'll just repeat something I said over on the Comic Book Resources forum (hi, stillanerd! :woot: )...

I'm hoping that the fact that Billy still has the Lizard formula in his blood from the "Feral" storyline might come into play here...

I stop by CBR too and saw you there. Just wanted to let you know the panel below inspired me in part to start a Spidey continuity thread.

2u4la92.jpg

So far Shed is much better than that Jenkins story, that's for sure.

I

So far Shed is much better than that Jenkins story, that's for sure.

Yep, no argument here. "Shed" is an engrossing, quality story so far. I'm still not sure what to make of what the Lizard is doing, or how it might affect the future of the character, but I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for the next issue.

Preview for ASM# 632:
http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=35473

So it looks like [blackout]Spidey has declared Billy is dead, but Billy was not eaten up by the Lizard after all. Then Spidey thinks he finds the Lizard's corpse, but it's obviously going to be a shed skin. Will there be a "new" Lizard after this? Where can the character go story-wise after killing Billy and no longer having any humanity?[/blackout]

If I would have to guess I'd say that the look of the new Lizard is going to look like something similar to the Lizard that's on the variant cover to issue 630.

Okay, here’s what I thought about this issue:

*Once again, we have Emma Rios doing fill-in art for Chris Bachalo, and again, their styles couldn’t be more different. I will say I did like the energy Bachalo brought to his double splash page of Spidey engaging in battle with the “new and improved” Lizard and also the series of close-ups as the Lizard tries to tap into Spidey’s mind. It certainly helps to convey the more darker tone the comic takes in the aftermath of the Lizard killing Billy Connors. But then, once Rios takes over the rest of the issue, the style doesn’t reflect the tone Wells is trying to convey at all. Not that her artwork is terrible--it’s not. It just isn’t the kid of art that should close the issue, especially given how we’re supposed to be heading into “darker territory.”

*Also, this issue, compared to the previous parts, fells really skimpy in terms of content and feels like it’s only half-an-issue rather than a full 22-page story. The only real meat of the issue occurs when Spidey--suffering from the Lizard creating a flight response within him--gets back to Carlie Cooper where we can have an expository dialogue between the two to reveal how Connors was attempting to come up with an inhibitor to stop the Lizard and thus set-up Spidey obtaining this antidote to use on him for the final part. Although, I will say Wells does manage to bring about the pain, rage, and guilt Spidey is feeling in this scene, finishing with him finding the splintered photograph of Billy.

*As for the Lizard, well the two “big changes” are the following. First, the Lizard is now capable of speech and has intelligence, a sign that his “Reptile brain” has conquered Connor‘s “monkey brain.” Unfortunately, it’s not nearly as startling as Wells’ seems to think it is, since it’s been well-established that the Lizard already had these attributes to begin with whenever Connors transformed into him. If anything, it’s just a throwback to his initial appearance from Amazing Spider-Man #6 and other encounters Spidey has had over the years, even if Spidey--and Wells--has apparently forgotten all about this. The other big change is that now, instead just merely controlling reptiles, the Lizard can now “turn on” the R-Complex, a.k.a. the “Reptilian Complex” within human beings, thus making them give into rage and fight-or-flight responses. Of course, just because the R-Complex is a portion of the brain mammals share with reptiles does NOT mean that all humans are literally part reptile and therefore the Lizard’s ability to turn it on in humans the same way he can mentally control other reptiles wouldn’t work--but I’ll let that slide since this is comic book science, after all. Suffice to say, it comes off more silly and frightening in practice than in theory. And haven’t we seen the whole “villain makes New Yorker’s go crazy” bit before with a previous Lizard story called “Feral” not too long ago? Oh, and as a result of this new power, we see end up with a scene where, along with various New Yorker’s attacking a hot dog stand, some guy attempting to rape a woman on a public street. Um, this is an all ages comic, right guys?

*Likewise, the “new” and “improved” Lizard, as depicted by both Bachalo and Rios, looks outright laughable compared to how Bachalo illustrated the Lizard‘s previous form. Apparently, Wells and the artists must still think reptiles and dinosaurs are virtually the same thing, for how else would you explain the crazy decision to give the Lizard feather-like spiky hair? And if that weren’t enough, the Lizard winds up stealing some clothes after realizing he’s naked, and thus now wears a garment like a hooded cloak for his “feather-hair” to poke out underneath. Oh, and apparently Rios has decided the Lizard’s right arm is now bigger than his left--I guess underscore the idea that Dr. Connor’s right arm was the one that was amputated and thus, on the Lizard, it’s more mutated now? Yeah, still not working for me guys.

Basically, I consider this part to be the weaker of the previous two parts. There’s not enough content despite being regularly sized, so it feels padded. The reveal of the new Lizard winds up sapping the terror and menace he previously exhibited in the story, and seems like its just killing time until the big showdown between Spidey and the “new” Lizard.

I too am definitely NOT a fan of the new "proto-feathered" Lizard, but I can't get too angry about it, since I'm sure the next artist to do a Lizard story will just draw the Lizard however he wants and ignore this feathered version.

See, there are some advantages to Marvel chucking continuity out the window after all! :up:

*shrugs* I'm loving the story and the art. And I don't mind the Lizard dreds...but only when Bachalo is drawing. When the art changes to Rios, its looks bleh.

Ok guys, what do you think of Spidey being shocked about The Lizard speaking? My friend Dr. Folsome pointed this one out to me, and I think I deliberately overlooked it. It's obvious The Lizard spoke fluently before. I placed the image in spoilers since it's from the last ASM issue.
amaz_632001.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah... it's a bit weird, especially how much Lizzy spoke in the old days... Stan really crammed in a LOT of words during Spidey's battle in ASM #44 & 45... they hardly had room to maneuvre in the panels... lol

:csad:

Yeah, it is weird. When I first read this issue, I kinda had a slight sinking feeling in my stomach, which didn't consciously register, ya know? I now think this story element sucks and taints my enjoyment of it which equally sucks because I sorta like what's happening so far.

How can Wells overlook this fact that the Lizard from the start spoke coherently? Maybe he just read Torment or something, right? However, during Torment The Lizard was under a spell, right? Thus he didn't speak much, if I'm remembering correctly.

I think Wells took this whole mammal vs. reptile thing way too far. He definitely broke with continuity just so he could write the script the way he did.

As the poster, Lizard, points out, The Lizard hasn't been shown respect in a while, so a lot of folks might think what difference does it make, right? Wrong. I think this character has a lot of untapped potential. Connors has a lot in common with Pete, for instance, as a chemist and if he were to find out who Spidey was that would create a lot of tension like Goblin and Venom once did, but with added dimensions, I think.

Yeah... though it's hard to figure out which stories told in the last 15 years might still be canon... the story from Spec #14 (or Spec #277 as I like to think of it as) got a LOT of flak from readers because it pointed a flaw that Connors was aware of his actions as the Lizard, and now people are mad because this current story contradicts that one... though truth be told, I've always thought of the Spec story as being "out of continuity" because it never had any impact afterwards, and seemed more like a "story being told", as opposed to the stories being told now, which indicate that they have more importance in the future... so I hope the last part of this story has some kind of unique twist that we're not seeing (at this point).

:yay:

Gotta say I'm enjoying Shed so far. I like the duality between Curt and the Lizard, a very nice touch. It makes it worth it that the Lizard hasn't been around for a while.

I haven't posted much here in a while. Just wanted to throw in that even though I like Chris Bachalo's art, I don't like the direction this story has taken. I don't like to re-design of the Lizard and I HATE that he killed Billy.

All in all, haven't really been on board with Gauntlet. But, then again, I'm not a fan of Kraven, and like his "family" even less.

Has anybody realized that we're getting two issues of ASM next week. The previews say 633 and 634 are both coming out Wednesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"