Comics Wanted: A good Spidey read...

Could someone recommend me a good Spidey read available on internet? You see, guys, its not like everybody can order books on amazon...

Captivated said:
I was actually looking for compulations and novels... but I know what you mean about the good ole days! :up:

Is the SSM referenced above the same title contained in the Essential just released? It's the first one (and I have them all) that seemed slow to me... new supporting cast, lack of relationships... ok, but not great.

Yes. Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man Vol. 1 (which is now being reprinted in Essential form). That series didn't really being to hit its stride until Roger Stern took over with issue # 43 (and the Carrion stuff from around # 24-31 was good, too). Things were hit-and-miss for a few years, but the later stuff by Peter David and Gerry Conway and J.M. DeMatteis is very good.

stillanerd said:
I was wondering if you have a copy of The Ultimate Spider-Man Anthology. No, not the one by Brain Michael Bendis, I mean this one:

cover.pl

It contains 13 different prose stories written by those who have worked on the comic book, along with some illustrations by his various artists. One of the stories is actually a novella that reimagines of Spider-Man's origin and it written by Peter David and good 'ol Stan Lee himself that's actually faithful to the original story, plus ties Doctor Octopus into as well (and yes, this is were John Byrne got his inspiration for Chapter One). However, the best of the bunch is another story by Peter David called "Five Minutes" which I have no doubt you'll positively love. There's no major villains, no pointless drag-out fights for no apparent reason--just a private glimpse into the lives of Peter and Mary Jane that will reaffirm your belief that these two belong together (as if you really need convincing ;)). Your best bet is Amazon.com. Hope this helps. :)

OH mY GOD! I forgot about that book. What an awesome f****ing read!!!!!!!! I read it in 2 days and it was simply brilliant.

dan1 said:
OH mY GOD! I forgot about that book. What an awesome f****ing read!!!!!!!! I read it in 2 days and it was simply brilliant.
Absolutely! I finished the last story yesterday (it was a collection of short stories) and it was GREAT! Loved it. Especially the Peter David story "Five Minutes."

From reading this thread I definitely have to buy that book!!! Cant wait till next week when I get paid!

have you tried the recent spidey novel?

3dman27 said:
have you tried the recent spidey novel?
Down These Man Streets... yeah. It was good.

A book review:
Not that many of the guys here would go for it, but I thought I'd mention the Mary Jane books I've just read too. A nice surprize.

After picking up the new "Spider-Man loves Mary Jane" (and liking it more than I expected I would) I went ahead and got the first part of that story just titled Mary Jane, but also by Sean McKeever and Takeshi Miyazawa. It was really good. Now one of those that I look forward to... want to find out what happens next in...

And, after liking those stories I looked into the first novel called "Mary Jane" by Judith O'Brien. Liked it so well I ordered the second one too. It's loosely inspired by Ultimate Spider-Man. An ordinary little story of high school life from Mary Jane's perspective that includes her budding relationship with Peter. Granted, I wish there had been more Peter/Spider-Man in the books, but the way the author writes the characters and their interaction was great. Really engaging and touching. The pencil illustrations by Mike Mayhew were nice too. I hope there is a third...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...f=pd_bbs_2/102-2771263-5952109?_encoding=UTF8

Niobe said:
Thanx for the link :up:

Ive already read the fanfics /along with many others on fanfiction.net/.
Loved "Just a Face on a Train "
:up: Wasn't that great? LOVED it. I got all misty at the end...

It really should be published. Couldn't they make that story into a short 2 to 3 issue mini or a graphic novel... even though it's a spin off of Spider-Man 2?

She-Hulk #4, first volume, if you haven't read it. Spider-man and She-Hulk team-up to take out his greatest foe! ;)

Spider-Man/Human Torch trade paperback.

Shadowknight said:
She-Hulk #4, first volume, if you haven't read it. Spider-man and She-Hulk team-up to take out his greatest foe! ;)

Spider-Man/Human Torch trade paperback.
Loved the Spidey/Torch book... Is the She-Hulk/Spidey by Slot too?

Captivated said:
Loved the Spidey/Torch book... Is the She-Hulk/Spidey by Slot too?
Oh yeah. I know it's practically mandatory for Spidey to show up in a newly launched book for sales reasons, but I think Slott was going to tell this tale anyway. Good one. :)

Don't remember who, but someone told me about Spider-Man's Tangled Web I got Volumn 2 yesterday and LOVED it! That 1st 3-part story, "Gentlemen's Agreement" was one of the best I've read. Written by Bruce Jones and illustrated by Lee Weeks... somebody sign these two up for a regular Spidey book!:up:

THANK YOU! Thank you, thank you... to all who recommended Adam-Troy Castro's books... The Sinister Six trilogy.

I found The Gathering of the Sinister Six FINALLY on Ebay and, from what I have seen, it was a steal at $16. I just finished reading it today. LOVED it! :up:

This guy has a way with characters and descriptions... I never knew Mysterio could be such a threat. Although, I think Spidey should have been able to handle him a little more quickly there at the end... but I won't spoil it. I also thought he did a great job with Mary Jane's character and her and Peter's relationship. I really got to know her better. Current writers would do well to take a clue... there is a lot of potential in her character that was well used here.

Can't wait to read the other two in the trilogy now... I'll probably blow off the 101 other things I should be doing and start it tomorrow! :)

Captivated said:
THANK YOU! Thank you, thank you... to all who recommended Adam-Troy Castro's books... The Sinister Six trilogy.

I found The Gathering of the Sinister Six FINALLY on Ebay and, from what I have seen, it was a steal at $16. I just finished reading it today. LOVED it! :up:

Welcome to the wonderful world of Castro.That guy rocks at writing Spidey IMO.I'd love him to write a movie script,or one of the Spidey titles.He knows the characters so well.

This guy has a way with characters and descriptions... I never knew Mysterio could be such a threat. Although, I think Spidey should have been able to handle him a little more quickly there at the end... but I won't spoil it. I also thought he did a great job with Mary Jane's character and her and Peter's relationship. I really got to know her better. Current writers would do well to take a clue... there is a lot of potential in her character that was well used here.

He really does have a knack for the characters doesn't he.And he's great at building suspense too IMO.He leaves little cliffhangers at the end of chapters,so you just HAVE to keep reading to find out what happens next.

Castro's novels gave me a new found respect for Electro,Vulture,Chameleon,Mysterio,and yes even though I thought I could have no higher respect for him than I already did,Doc Ock :D

And MJ was also used very effectively in these novels.Wait til you read the rest of the trilogy.I really connected with her,and how she feels about Peter and his life as Spidey.

Can't wait to read the other two in the trilogy now... I'll probably blow off the 101 other things I should be doing and start it tomorrow! :)

Let us know what you think of them when you've read them.I don't know which part of the trilogy I love the most.They're each brilliant for different reasons.

Doc Ock said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of Castro.That guy rocks at writing Spidey IMO. I'd love him to write a movie script,or one of the Spidey titles. He knows the characters so well.

He really does have a knack for the characters doesn't he. And he's great at building suspense too IMO. He leaves little cliffhangers at the end of chapters,so you just HAVE to keep reading to find out what happens next.

Castro's novels gave me a new found respect for Electro, Vulture, Chameleon, Mysterio, and yes even though I thought I could have no higher respect for him than I already did,Doc Ock :D

And MJ was also used very effectively in these novels. Wait til you read the rest of the trilogy. I really connected with her, and how she feels about Peter and his life as Spidey.
Absolutely!

His writing, even about things familiar, like the death of Peter's parents, really gives insight and makes it all so compelling. Now I'm afraid his books are going to spoil me for any others.

Has he ever written a comic? IMO, we need to petition Marvel to put Castro on ASM, ASAP! :)

Captivated said:
His writing, even about things familiar, like the death of Peter's parents, really gives insight and makes it all so compelling. Now I'm afraid his books are going to spoil me for any others.

Definitely.Wait til you read his take on the other villains,and their insights,you'll be floored.Like I said,it gives you a whole new respect for them.Even Vulture,whom I never had a huge respect for before.

Has he ever written a comic? IMO, we need to petition Marvel to put Castro on ASM, ASAP! :)

I don't think he's ever written a comic before.I know he wrote some X-Men novels.

But yes we need him on the current titles badly.What a prefect replacement he'd be on ASM.

yes i've read his work he be terrifiv writing spidey or ANY marvel superhero

For fan fiction, check out the Green Goblin's Lair, he has three spider-man movies that are quite good.

Captivated said:

Heh.... see, told you you would love it. :up: You come out of it with increased respect - and liking - for the Six. [You already liked Pete and MJ, so that doesn't really count...] this series was what really kick-started my appreciation of Electro, it makes so plain how mind-boggling his powers really should be. And Ock... he is just so completely brutal and so nasty and condescending and you just have to love him. He is truly the fulcrum upon which the Six are balanced. Without him they would be nothing.

Wait'll you get to the Rand-Meacham attack. Good times, good times.

I certainly would rather have this guy at Marvel than the roster writing Spidey now.

Thought I would bump this thread for those interested in the subject...

Since I loved Adam-Troy Castro's Sinister Six trilogy I got this collection of short stories that included one by him called "The Stalking of John Doe." Loved it. :up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1572972947/002-4594050-7604026?v=glance&n=283155

There was another good collection that had a story by Peter David called "Five Minutes." GREAT insight into Peter and MJ's relationship and early marriage. Very emotional.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0425170004/002-4594050-7604026?v=glance&n=283155

MyPokerShirt said:
i can't seem to get it to work. for example the link when clicked is:
http://www.donaldspidermanthomas.com/html/cbr/1_amazingsp/asm250.pdf

What do i change it to so i can read the comic?? please help, somebody. thanx

plus..um, how is this legal??
You have to read the directions... ACTIVE links are in red. At the top of the library it will say which comics are active that month.

You'll also have to read about the different file formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"