was it the 90's when cartoons began to suck?

Lord Valumart

Hype's Dr - It's Canon
Reaction score
think about it...the 90's can be split into 3 sections(broad sections but stick with me)

early 90's - repeats of the 80's greatest cartons, ghostbusters, thundercats, turtles, etc:heart:
mid 90's - superhero cartoons, batman TAS, spider-man, Hulk, etc
late 90's - anime invation, pokemon, digimon, dragonball, etc

now...i'm not saying that it went downhill with all the anime....but lest be honest...it lead to the begining of the end cause now we're over flooded by anime looking crap and it started with the 90's.

so....er...anyone else agree?:huh:

I like a lot of anime but not much of the stuff you listed.

I think the main problem is that when anime became popular it became easier just to use that than to spend time creating a new cartoon.

Your logic isn't sound, one cartoon doesn't suddenly make other cartoons crap. The crappy ones would have still been crap regardless

ps Dragonball is an 80's cartoon:o

Anime does suck to be fair, it lacks the character of turtles, although i did watch digimon, but the second series went over board and was crap:(

Your making it sound like 90's superhero cartoons sucked. When they were easily some of the best in all of TV history.

They went downhill in the late 90's with the advent of the anime explosion. After that, they all wanted to be like that, and failed horribly.

Hush said:
Your making it sound like 90's superhero cartoons sucked. When they were easily some of the best in all of TV history.

Yeah--them and the Spielberg-made cartoons: Animaniacs, Pinky & the Brain, and Freakazoid.

Frankly, all of those were ten times better than anything during the 80's. Period. :o

actually 90s animes were fine to me..(think about it..slam dunk,dragon ball, all good stuff)

it's that after late 90s it began to suck big time..

Anime is okay, TV on the whole sucks :csad:
What's sad about that, is today there are more channels than ever before but only a few dozen or so really great tv shows.
Quality stories were the norm back in th 80's, not so today.

Boomerang baby!

Guyverjay said:
Your logic isn't sound, one cartoon doesn't suddenly make other cartoons crap. The crappy ones would have still been crap regardless

ps Dragonball is an 80's cartoon:o

Yes, but it wasn't really introduced (at least not Dragon Ball Z) to the mainstream American public until the 90's.

cartoons started to suck when they cancelled x men TAS and spiderman. the whole japanese style did not agree with me

Some of it could be, you know, growing up.

i was 11 in 1999 so maybe growing up was a factor. its funny how you look back on your favourite cartoons and they still look amazing

guess what peeps, there have been crap cartoons throughout the decades, not just from the 90s to the present day

not there have also been great cartoons through those eras as well.

Cartoons IMO started to suck when Cartoon Network and Boomerang changed their theme from Cartoons of the past (Birdman, Thundar, Johnny Quest,etc) and now is putting on Cartoons that suck and live action shows.

The cartoon industry went to s*** when Fox Kids, WB kids, and Cartoon Network started outsourcing EVERY CARTOON ON THE AIR.

So whenever that happened... 2000-2002, sometime in there.

The original poster must be young,Batman,Spider-Man and X-Men came out in the early 1990`s and was the last decent Superhero cartoons until Justice League came out a few years ago.

Jourmugand said:
The original poster must be young,Batman,Spider-Man and X-Men came out in the early 1990`s and was the last decent Superhero cartoons until Justice League came out a few years ago.
i think that Batman TAS is longest running superhero cartoon in the US.

American cartoons began to suck after the demise of Animaniacs, Pinky & The Brain, etc.

Jourmugand said:

You forgot Superman the animated series.

I've found that cartoons tend to go in waves. They have good periods and bad periods.

The cartoons from the 70's were pretty pitiful overall.
The cartoons from the 80's were very much excellent from what I could see.
The cartoons from the 90's, with the exception of a few, were kinda mediocre.
The cartoons in the last few years have gone on the upswing again.

early to mid 90's were great for cartoons...and atleast they aired on regular channels...like fox or nbc on saturday mornings...now you need to catch em on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon, theres not enough afternoon toons anymore, WB was a great late 90's producer of good noon toons. lately...Avatar seems to me like the only new approach in toon programming that they've (Nick) ever taken...before it used to be nicktoons style only. I don't think cartoons suck now...but I don't like the idea that I don't know when sh** even comes on...schedules always seem to change.

atleast in the 90's we had X-Men TAS and Batman TAS...probably two of the best Cartoon series of the entire decade.

The 90's were a golden age for cartoons. Some of the best cartoons ever made were produced in that decade. Batman TAS, Gargoyles Big Guy & Rusty, X-men and Spider-man TAS were all produced back then. Some of the best cartoons in the history of the genre.Cartoons were intelligent and sophisitcated with complex stories. American animators were growing in their craft.
The Critic, King of the Hill Futurama and the Simpsons were the best animated programs in prime time. I wore out a VCR taping stuff cause it was all so good.

You couldn't go anywhere without an animated program being on somewhere and most times they were good back then.

Now the Manga stuff didn't start getting hot aroun '99-00 with Pokecrap. Networks thought it was cheaper to outsource the animation and the writing. The result: dumbed down shows that appeal to toddlers and not to adults.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"