Watchmen: Great Graphic Novel or Greatest Graphic Novel?

StorminNorman

Avenger
Reaction score
Discuss.

I really don't care about your opinions - I just wanted to make the first thread on this particular board.

well, The Long Halloween is my favourite. But Watchmen is right there in the second place.

Oh, and just a quick shout out to WATCHMEN colorist John Higgins, unjustly overlooked virtually everywhere but nonetheless an essential ingredient in the WATCHMEN mix.

Just try imagining it in B&W, huh..?

Greatest. It's the only graphic novel that I've read that I can read time after time and find new appreciation for every time. Nothing even comes close... I mean, there are very good graphic novels, but they are ultimately just well-executed comic books with good dialogue. Watchmen is literature... it's has such rich characters, themes, dialgoue, symbolism... it never fails to amaze me.

Greatest. It's the only graphic novel that I've read that I can read time after time and find new appreciation for every time. Nothing even comes close... I mean, there are very good graphic novels, but they are ultimately just well-executed comic books with good dialogue. Watchmen is literature... it's has such rich characters, themes, dialgoue, symbolism... it never fails to amaze me.

V for Vendetta is also a great piece of literature. Alan Moore = God

V for Vendetta is also a great piece of literature. Alan Moore = God

I would agree that V for Vendetta also qualifies. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is an amazingly well-written piece of intellectual fluff... A lot of what Frank Miller has written is excellent by comic book standards, but doesn't have the layers of Moore's work. I'd say Watchmen and V are probably the two greatest graphic novels of all-time... of course, there may be some obscure undiscovered indie comic stuff that's better than both, but I'm not aware of it.

I agree! :up:

I would agree that V for Vendetta also qualifies. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is an amazingly well-written piece of intellectual fluff... A lot of what Frank Miller has written is excellent by comic book standards, but doesn't have the layers of Moore's work. I'd say Watchmen and V are probably the two greatest graphic novels of all-time... of course, there may be some obscure undiscovered indie comic stuff that's better than both, but I'm not aware of it.

Stealing what I was going to say is not good form, sir :cmad:

I really like From Hell, personally, but Watchmen is easily my favorite and IMO the Greatest.

A) Great, not greatest.
B) Watchmen isn't actually a graphic novel. It's a maxi-series.

One of the greatest graphic novels :up:

Hands down my favorite comic/graphic novel/maxi-series whatever you want to call it.

I read it about once a year, and every time, I find something new that I hadn't noticed before.

I love Watchmen. :woot:

Watchmen is the greatest. End of discussion.

Not my personal favorite, but it's definitely in my top 5. That's just 'cause I'm a Batman fan and the top spot goes to The Long Halloween.

Not my personal favorite, but it's definitely in my top 5. That's just 'cause I'm a Batman fan and the top spot goes to The Long Halloween.

Anyone notice that, of all the mainsteam superheroes, Batman is really the only one who ever gets really get writers?

i have to say Watchmen is great, not the greatest tho. my top three is

1. V
2. TLH
3. Watchmen.

V for Vendetta is one of my favorite pieces of literature ever, and Long Halloween is Batman one of my fav characters, so Watchmen falls to third.

My all time favourite comicbook (or Graphic Novel) is without doubt, The Dark Knight Returns. This comes close. It's somewhere in the top five atleast.

The art in DKR is just fantastic. A lot of people are Frank Miller fans because of his writing, but I really appreciate him as an artist as well.

Not to say that the art in Watchmen isn't good, but for me DKR will always be something amazing.

aint the best but it soure as hell is up about the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"