Watchmen Rape Scene Will Be Brutal

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://filmonic.com/watchmen-rape-scene-brutal

Actress Carla Gugino told MTV News that the rape scene in Zack Snyder’s Watchmen will be kept in the film, and it will be brutal.

sally-jupiter.jpg
“It was really brutal. It was brutal to shoot,” Gugino said of the scene, in which the Comedian (played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan) attacks an young Sally Jupiter, who only manages to avoid getting raped by the timely intervention of fellow mask Hooded Justice. “That was one of the things [director] Zack [Snyder] said to me from the start: ‘I really want this to be incredibly brutal. It’s not a turn-on kind of story. It’s bad.’ It’s important that we did that. I think hopefully it will be really powerful.”
A brutal rape scene is not anything new, as I am sure all rapes are brutal. That’s why they are called rapes. Although, the big news here is that the scene will be kept in the movie and it will be the first rape scene in a comic book movie.
No matter how uncomfortable, however, it’s ultimately a scene that really HAS to be in the film, Gugino said, since it influences so much of what comes after: Sally’s retirement from crimefighting, her self-image as a sex-symbol, and, of course, her second, consensual, sexual encounter with the Comedian later on.
“It’s so informative of so many things thematically in the movie and certainly in the graphic novel, not only for this character but for the Comedian and ultimately [her daughter] Laurie,” Gugino said. “Many things stem from that particular situation.”

Actress Carla Gugino told MTV News that the rape scene in Zack Snyder’s Watchmen will be kept in the film, and it will be brutal.

sally-jupiter.jpg
“It was really brutal. It was brutal to shoot,” Gugino said of the scene, in which the Comedian (played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan) attacks an young Sally Jupiter, who only manages to avoid getting raped by the timely intervention of fellow mask Hooded Justice. “That was one of the things [director] Zack [Snyder] said to me from the start: ‘I really want this to be incredibly brutal. It’s not a turn-on kind of story. It’s bad.’ It’s important that we did that. I think hopefully it will be really powerful.”​

A brutal rape scene is not anything new, as I am sure all rapes are brutal. That’s why they are called rapes. Although, the big news here is that the scene will be kept in the movie and it will be the first rape scene in a comic book movie.
No matter how uncomfortable, however, it’s ultimately a scene that really HAS to be in the film, Gugino said, since it influences so much of what comes after: Sally’s retirement from crimefighting, her self-image as a sex-symbol, and, of course, her second, consensual, sexual encounter with the Comedian later on.​

“It’s so informative of so many things thematically in the movie and certainly in the graphic novel, not only for this character but for the Comedian and ultimately [her daughter] Laurie,” Gugino said. “Many things stem from that particular situation.”​

That sounds horrifying....Jesus....LMAO

I'm glad they are keeping this in. Hopefully it will be handled appropriately, as it was in the graphic novel. From the sounds of the scene it will be.

I think this is gonna be the first scene in the movie that really shocks people, and gives them an idea of what they're in store for. This, followed by The Comedian killing the pregnant woman. Up until that point, people are gonna think this is just another comic book movie, then... wow.

Hopefully they keep bringing us news of new and interesting things that other comic book films haven't done!

Second actually.

second? was the first somewhere in sin city? and who plays hooded justice?

This might sound weird but I'm ver happy thery're putting the scene in. I remember reading it and just seeing The Comedian smiling the whole time even after Hooded Justice broke it up he got up with a chuckle like " let's do it again next week 'kay?"

second? was the first somewhere in sin city? and who plays hooded justice?

The first was in 300. Directed by... Snyder!

Which means this might not be completely tasteful, seeing as he was jumping at the chance to do one he added it for no reason. :whatever:

I'm immensely happy to hear how much of an understanding the cast has of what's important in telling the story, and how everything ties together. This movie is going to be beautiful, I can see it!

The first was in 300. Directed by... Snyder!

Which means this might not be completely tasteful, seeing as he was jumping at the chance to do one he added it for no reason. :whatever:

Not really - that scene was more of a precursor to the attempted rape.

The one in A History of Violence is what I was thinking of.

This sounds weird, being that it involves a scene of rape but, YAY!

Hopefully the scene can be done tastefully, but still maintain the intensity you get from reading the graphic novel.

They can't really do the movie without the rape scene, it's kinda a big point in Comedian's character.

and it helps the story line when Silk Spectre and Manhattan are on mars.

Yeah Quinzel... but we don't need a scene stolen from Irreversible in the middle of Watchmen cause Snyder needs a brutal scene.

The main character rapes his wife on the stairs in their home.

I kinda remember that. I don't remember it being rape, but I haven't seen the movie in years.
To me, it seemed like she didn't want it in the beginning, but after a few seconds, it went from rape to just.. rough sex.

sally-jupiter.jpg
“It was really brutal. It was brutal to shoot,” Gugino said of the scene, in which the Comedian (played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan) attacks an young Sally Jupiter, who only manages to avoid getting raped by the timely intervention of fellow mask Hooded Justice. “That was one of the things [director] Zack [Snyder] said to me from the start: ‘I really want this to be incredibly brutal. It’s not a turn-on kind of story. It’s bad.’ It’s important that we did that. I think hopefully it will be really powerful.”​

No matter how uncomfortable, however, it’s ultimately a scene that really HAS to be in the film, Gugino said, since it influences so much of what comes after: Sally’s retirement from crimefighting, her self-image as a sex-symbol, and, of course, her second, consensual, sexual encounter with the Comedian later on.​

“It’s so informative of so many things thematically in the movie and certainly in the graphic novel, not only for this character but for the Comedian and ultimately [her daughter] Laurie,” Gugino said. “Many things stem from that particular situation.”​

I'm hoping he won't try to make the scene hot at all and will just make it sad and unpleasant. :up:

I don't think you could accurately portray the comic at all without this scene, it's the catalyst to not only Laurie's character, but also Doc Manhattan returning to Earth. It's also an undeniably large part of Sally and The Comedian's characters. The fact that someone might consider this movie without this scene scares me. I don't think it will be a tough scene to get right however, Morgan is certainly a competent actor, and the direction shouldn't be too difficult.

i dont remember the rape scene being that violent in the comics, and did Sally quit right away after that? i thought she had a few more years before the group disbanded.

So its not really a "rape" scene if he just tries to rape her, right? No actual penetration? He tries to, then after the failed attempt she quits then has casual sex with him later.

Mr. Todd said:
I'm hoping he won't try to make the scene hot at all and will just make it sad and unpleasant. :up:

For some reason this made me LOL.

The best in that scene is hooded justice when he says something along 'get up now and for chissakes put some clothes on...' very insightful about the way ppl picture ss1 in general !

it can't be as bad as the tree-rape scene in the first Evil Dead..

Technically no rape occurs in Watchmen, History of Violence, or 300. In 300 she offers her body to him to save her husband and his bodyguards, in History it was just rough sex that was almost forced at first but turned consensual before any penetration happened, and in Watchmen it is basically the Comedian physically assaulting her and then Hooded Justice walking in before he even had his pants all the way off. So comic adaptations are still 100% rape free!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"