Superman Returns WB To Correct DVD Screw-Up

Zorex

I'm 100% 50/50
Reaction score
The Digital Bits...

"(LATE UPDATE - 11/27/06 - 4 PM PST)

Here's the deal - we've just spoken with Warner Home Video. They ARE going to be issuing corrected discs for both Disc One of the Superman: The Movie - Four-Disc Special Edition (also Disc One of the Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition 14-disc set) AND Disc Eight of the Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition. Disc One will feature the CORRECT original 2.0 audio track for Superman: The Movie and Disc Eight will feature the new Superman III: Deluxe Edition. ALL of the other discs streeting tomorrow are correct. The mistakes in the Superman: The Movie - Four-Disc Special Edition and the Superman: Ultimate Collector's Edition were apparently just honest authoring/replication errors - not deliberate decisions - and Warner is already in the process of correcting them. NO recall of existing sets is planned at the moment, but we'll have an 800 number shortly that you can call and arrange to have the corrected discs sent to you via mail. The official statement from Warner will follow shortly, so be sure to check back in a little while.

Stay tuned..."

Was there any doubt? Say what you want but WB has the best home video department amongst the studios.

I'll be buying that Ultimate set for sure, now that I know WB is correcting theor mistake. Probably grab mine around the 8th or so, due to financial reasons.

Neto Magnus said:
so other words, don't buy the box set yet.
More from TDB...

"If the studio somehow corrects these two problems [they are already in the process of doing so], we'll be very, very happy with this set. The shame of it all is that this leaves most of you with a tough decision to make. Do you buy the set now, with the problems, and hope Warner corrects them? Or do you wait to buy the set until Warner issues fixed sets? [The answer is, you must buy the sets as is, and call the 800 number to get the corrected replacement discs] In the meantime, I'll tell you... seeing the Fleischer shorts looking as good as they do here is at least SOME consolation. In the end, I give this box a strong - but QUALIFIED - recommendation, pending action by Warner to correct its problems."

well i can still wait. I'm glad I didn't get the box set 5 years ago.

I'm curious . . . with the Superman III screw-up, is the disc that is found in the Ultimate Collector's Edition the EXACT same disc that was found in the standard release from years ago, or does it have the matching front of the DVD's to go along with the rest of the Collector's Edition and just the incorrect features on the disc itself?

Nit-picky, but I'm curious.

I'm still gonna buy it and just call them when they start sending out the new ones. Maybe the wrong discs will be worth something some day lol.

This reminds me of the "back to the future" dvd mistake with the framing issue

thats great. Warner brothers should be commended- theres still no news about correcting the x men mess up from fox! They should definitely take notes

Replacement discs can be obtained through June 30 by calling 800 553-6937.
The exchange applies only to the SUPERMAN III Deluxe Edition,which is in the Ultimate Collector's Edition, and to Disc 1 of the SUPERMAN: The Movie four disc special edition.

Wish WB would have gave us better audio options on all the discs especially Superman Returns. Since it only has 5.1 Surround Sound, the disc sounds piss poor when watching it on a standard tv with only 2 speakers.

Did anyone talk to someone who gave them a deadline on the SKUs. I'm thinking that I can just take mine back if they issue some kind of return guarantee. DVDs in single packs can be easily ruined, and I'm thinking that they are going to rush this out to get it over with. Yet, are the ever going to correct the the Collector's Edition, or is this a limited time thing?

You know, I would believe it was an authoring mistake if the extended version was on the first disc in it's entirety. But the fact is an edited version of the extended disc is on disc one,edited down to the original running time and cuts, and the audio is also edited down. This isn't something done in the authoring of the DVD. You have to have the raw footage whole to author it to MPEG 2. So the raw footage was has the sound from the 2000 edition perfectly edited down for time to match the new footage. So either they edited down the 2000 edit to match the 1978 edit, and then take the soundtrack and marry it to that edit, or they thought they would get away with it and didn't realize people would catch it. And for what is on the disc, I think it was the second one. Because it is clearly the 2000 version with 2000 audio edited down, and on a few edits, the audio is mixed to the cuts. That you have to purposely do. And also, before these things are mastered to MPEG 2, they are watched from begingin to end for quality control. So, either qualtiy control messed up, or they thought they could get away with it.

buggs0268 said:
You know, I would believe it was an authoring mistake if the extended version was on the first disc in it's entirety. But the fact is an edited version of the extended disc is on disc one,edited down to the original running time and cuts, and the audio is also edited down. This isn't something done in the authoring of the DVD. You have to have the raw footage whole to author it to MPEG 2. So the raw footage was has the sound from the 2000 edition perfectly edited down for time to match the new footage. So either they edited down the 2000 edit to match the 1978 edit, and then take the soundtrack and marry it to that edit, or they thought they would get away with it and didn't realize people would catch it. And for what is on the disc, I think it was the second one. Because it is clearly the 2000 version with 2000 audio edited down, and on a few edits, the audio is mixed to the cuts. That you have to purposely do. And also, before these things are mastered to MPEG 2, they are watched from begingin to end for quality control. So, either qualtiy control messed up, or they thought they could get away with it.

I'm thinking like you, Buggs. The only people who will ever get the correct edition are the folks who ask. I mean, seriously, how long are they going to keep this $80 box set on the market?

charl_huntress said:
I'm thinking like you, Buggs. The only people who will ever get the correct edition are the folks who ask. I mean, seriously, how long are they going to keep this $80 box set on the market?
I think when it is gone it is gone. Glad I got it for $59.50. Even though I have to send in for the disc. I do believe the S3 disc was an error, but that DLT should have been removed out of it's DVD que by Warner's after the last printing. But the STM can't be a simple mistake. All indications point to an intended thing unless it was a mistake of in the edit bay they just didnt click on the sound track for 1 to be married to 2. I honestly think they didn't want to do another transfer, and color correction, and just edited the 2000 edition to the cuts of the 1978 cut to save money. But, how hard is it to just click on an audio track Icon? And quality control totally missed it, ot they didnt have a vhs tape or laserdisc to review the sound. But when the titles sounded the same, that should have been their first clue.

So in a few weeks, no one will have to send the discs, because WB will fix it a week or two after Christmas right? Thats when I plan on buying it, and I don't want to have 2 replace either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"