World Web shooter shop class - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should all try and put one together as a team like if some one has one idea we can add on to it

Hey, I've been gone for a while. I've had to re-model my design so many times because certain parts are just not available and finding a solenoid valve from a nearby store has been a hassle. But I finally have a set design and I'm almost done my shooter, minus thre heating coil. I'll post some pictures soon. It's simple enough for anyone to buy parts and build but it's a little clunky because of the solenoid valves and small pipes and gas regulator I've used. Therefore, I would only consider the design as a prototype or just for the sake of testing out the web formula. Also, the cartridge is kinda small, I haven't calculated its volume yet but from a 4mm diameter nozzle i'm guestimating 5 to 10 shots, each shot being 10 m long. My only worry is that the ewb formula may clog something up. I didn't bother coating the insides with teflon, cuz that would take time, I would have to send my part to a company to do it.

Anyway, the basic design is this threaded 16g CO2 cartridge--->adapter needle--->solenoid valve--->piping---->web cartridge made from empty 16g co2 cartridge----->gas regulator valve (small one)---->solenoid valve----->nozzle

I haven't added a heating coil but it would go right before the nozzle.

I'll post pictures tomorrow with a brief guide of where you can get everything.

Okay I modified my design and now its simpler than before because now it uses only one solenoid valve but its still clunky. And I did my first trial run without the solenoid valve and using water. It was an epic fail because of all the leakage and the water pretty much vaporized xD No problem though, I'll be using teflon tape and a hardcore wrench. I'll post pictures now.

2012-12-24%2020.16.03.jpg

Okay that didn't work. I'll post it on the realwebtech website and post the link.

My cartridge is small so the volume is at approximately 0.0000173 meters cubed. My nozzle has a diameter of 2mm therefore I will only get one shot of 5.5m long which......really sucks and is way off my guesstimate. Hmm, I guess for a prototype its okay, I can always make a bigger cartridge from a larger empty c02 tank. If I make a Ben Reilly inspired shooter, I may be able to fit 6 web fluid cartridges give me 33m with a 2mm diameter meaning three 10m shots and a bit. There has to be a way to make a spacious cartridge on the arm without taking too much space and with parts you can get from local stores.

Hey guys! I'm back on the forums after a long break.

On my design, I have some good news and some bad news.
The good news is that I have the solenoids, here, in my house. They work perfectly.
The bad news is that, first of all, they don't work with the button batteries like I hoped they would. Why? Because I didn't anticipate the solenoid coil to be so incredibly huge. It's around 2 and a half inches in diameter, and about 3 inches tall. It's very large. So, I am switching around to a 9V battery to power it, which is the lowest power source I can use.
This brings up another problem... I will have to change the way I was going to integrate it into the circuit because of the power source change. However, this doesn't mean it won't work in the circuit. The problem is that I have to run the charge to open it off of the microcontroller, but the micro only runs off of less than or equal to around 6V... which means I will have to change a bit of stuff about it to get it to work.
However, I expect the shooter will be done by the eighth of January, at the latest.
I use the term shooter loosely, considering I don't have a formula yet, need to build the canisters, etc.

Hey Wadaltmon, do your solenoid valves run on 9 V? Or are you adjusting it to run on 9V? Also how are you building your canister because I could use some ideas on what to build it out of. Thanks.

The solenoids are only operational at 9V or greater. I had to adjust the power source on the shooter so that they could use a 9V power source. Also, my canister is made out of PVC, with a spring-loaded valve on top and it is capped on the bottom. The CO2 adapter is attached to the bottom of the canister. I also have a plastic piston inside the canister.

Whaaat? The canister sounds cool can you send me a link to some pictures or where I could buy one? Also my solenoid says 24V and 11 watts. It has about 51 ohms resistance. It would still work with 9 V? I'll test it out though. I tried it with 24 and it worked but i didn't try lowering.

I made the canister myself, so I don't think you can really buy one off the internet or anything. And can I see a picture of that solenoid? The real problem is current. If you don't have enough current in a smaller battery, it won't work anyway. The larger the battery, the more current it's got, usually. So, 9V have a lot of current. However, I have no idea if your solenoids would work with 9V. If they are rated for 24V, I would use 2 9V batteries in series, then work down to one.

Happy new year guys! I have been working on a lot of things on my shooter.
First thing I am working on now is a way to run the solenoid on a separate power supply from the MCU. This way, the power supply will not run down so quickly, and the solenoids can be a lot more powerful when running on a separate power supply. I will accomplish this with a double transistor array or a relay being controlled by the MCU to regulate the power along to the solenoid when triggered by the MCU, which is on a separate power supply.
Next thing I will work on is the piston mechanism for the canister. Once that's done, I'll get a makeshift formula up and running, and the shooter will be done. I think that May 1 is a good projection for the end of this project. It is approaching, though, faster than I could have ever anticipated.
BTW my post count is a dual timer IC.

Hey guys, a little update here. I got a relay today and tested out the solenoid control circuit on my breadboard. It works perfectly (good thing I could find a relay rated for 5V). Anyway, I'm going to solder it tonight onto a little PCB I got at RadioShack with the relay and some NPN switching transistors. The circuit involves a reed-type relay, 2 of the 2N2222 transistors, and the solenoids. It also has a 9V battery to power the solenoid. It is basically just a transistor switching driver with a tranistor "MML" inverter connected to the input. It's a simple circuit, and I'll be uploading a picture of the schematic soon. Also, I will upload a video of the circuit at work (i.e. the completed shooter) sometime this week... that is, if I ever find my camera.

Shooter circuitry is finished. Shooter will be finished tomorrow.

Alright guys, I finished the shooter.

You're DONE? Omg, can't wait to see it!
Where'd I put my spandex and gecko gloves...:spidey:
Sorry I've been gone, btw, I've been with my gf, and she supports me, but sometimes, kissing beats swinging :p.
What'd I miss, beyond Wadaltmon's shooter being finished?

"kissing beats swinging"
Can't argue with that!:woot:
Anyway, you haven't missed a terrible lot. However, an idea for us all to just build one all together (ideas are all submitted, one guy builds it and shows tutorial, I assume) was proposed. Also, soon, I will upload the plans for WDMB (Web Drawing Mechanism Basic).

I am going to start a series of videos in which I speak about the shooter.
First series: Shooter basics.
Video 1 is about me, a look at my shooter, and misconceptions about the shooter.
Video 2 is about basic shooter theory
Video 3 is about pressure vessels and shooting methods.
My new youtube channel is under the name sharksc83. I chose the name LS, though it has absolutely no connection to me whatsoever.

Hey, is it alright if I post my original idea again? I've been trying to build off of my old design, but I keep losing it on the part 1. Plus, not to brag, but it got positive responses, so I'm assuming you bros like it.

Yeah, sure, post it again. It was pretty cool, if I remember it correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"