World Webbing formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets use a CO2 Cartridge... which would be easier for me. But how would you put the web fluid inside the CO2 cartridge? Wouldn't all the pressure release?

I think I hit the jackpot,
Rubberbands ... Rubber Bands turn back to their shape, very elastic, polymer so it can be used in a co polymer. Hurts when your shot with. We have a lot of them in the world.
Some polymers in rubber bands:

Polyisoprene - Natural Rubber

Polychloroprene - Invented by the same person who worked with the creator of nylon.

Polybutadiene

SBS Rubber- A hard elastor witch contains rubber and plastic, with mixed rubber.

http://www.pslc.ws/macrog/kidsmac/rubber.htm

You're focusing too much on the elastomer. the formula is a copolymer of a strong polymer and a strong elastomer mixed with polyvinyl alcohol. Trying to create a copolymer is going to be difficult.

The strong polymer is the most likely going to be cellulose. Strong cellulose Gel or cellulose acetate.

The rubber that is going to be crosslinked is probably polyisoprene.

The tackifyer resin is polyvinyl alcohol.

While what you are saying is good, it's time to think ahead with this formula. We need to make sure that these substances can be dissolved by water or acetone and that they are biodegradable. We can't use a rubber that will not dissolve.

As for the shooters themselves, talk to the shooters forums.

Hey White_Widow, um....so the formula is cellulose acetate + polyisoprene + polyvinyl alcohol. Correct?

Has anyone considered the addition of silicon (I tried it in my formula last night, and it didn't really seem to make a difference in elasticity or dissolve time).

It's been considered, but not performed. I think that silicone rubber is only good for the shooter itself.

To Bdude: Until other, better materials that are obtainable, that's the best we have. The only thing that could be added is the STA guar gum.

Well, it seems like polycarbonate is a bust. I've been reading up on it, and it seems that while acetone will indeed dissolve it, it isn't really a good solvent for it. Acetone makes already manufactured PC swell, rather than really dissolve.

Now there are other good solvents for PC, but they're all really dangerous, or carcinogens, or both. PC is out of the race.

What about chemically unmodified PC? A lot of materials are treated with additives to give additional properties.

Well, the only reason I was interested in PC was because it could be modified. Unaltered, it has about the same strength as cellulose acetate without some of the benefits.

I also have no idea if acetone will even dissolve unmodified PC. Better to play it safe with cellulose acetate, or at least until we find something better.

ill get to work on the formula all of the baterials biodegradable. ill let you know soon!

last thing to get this straight. Cellulose Acetate + Polyiosprene + Polyvinyl Alcohol. All must be dissolved in Acetate right? Then why is it called Cellulose Acetate? Anyway put that in a cartridge? Will it immediatly harden once it leaves the tube?

They must dissolve in ACETONE. Acetate is just part of the chemical name. PVA also only dissolves in water.

After that, you put it in the pressure vessel and compress it.

Will it harden immediately? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how you prepare it. You can either heat it or spin it so that it is so thin that the acetone evaporates immediately.

I cant find Polyisoprene or Cellulose Acetate anywhere. Can anyone help me? Is PVA Polyvinyl Alcohol or Polyvinyl Acetate?

Last edited:
As soon as I can get some of this stuff cooked up I'll be running some tests with the Spinning Electrospinner idea. I'll post results on both.

I cant find any Polyisoprene or Cellulose Acetate

Sal: Amazon

Dude: A tackifying resin is a polymer that can increase tack. A resin is a polymer with no additives. Plus their tackifying resins aren't biodegradable.

Last edited:
I haven't done any testing of it. I don't know how much is enough or not. Any natural latex will do as a replacement of polyisoprene. You can find that in contact cements. If you can't find any polyvinyl alcohol, You could probably buy adhesive sprays that contain the proper amount of tackifiers.

EDIT: So I just found a couple construction websites that sell Polyvinyl alcohol fibers.

http://store.blueconcrete.com/fiberz-pva-4000/

Check out ALL of their PVA fibers. They all have tensile strengths of at least 1000 MPa. I wonder why there is no consistent tensile strength? If it is 1000MPa, we don't even freaking need cellulose. More research is required.

http://tchfc.engin.umich.edu/doc/Presentations/TGB/Hoshiro-Properties.pdf

Last edited:
I have found Polyvinyl Alcohol, but in different amounts, from 100ml - 50L on amazon. I have an idea, but it sounds weird. Use acetone on the condoms? LOL I dont know. Ill update when I have found a good. I just read on some random website that 1000MPa is about the same as Spiderman's Web, pretty cool! Here is the link to the PVA on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_s...11&h=60c6e9e5e7930c94ae0661a3e352954b3464deed

Anyway, so what I need to find is a good elaster or rubber of some kind. Then it is building the shooter from there. I'll post if I need help or if I have ideas from now on.

Thx,

-SAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95