World Web shooter shop class - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I'm posting a lot, but can somebody tell me how to make the actual device and fluid?

What is everybody planning to do with these web shooters?

Let me answer your questions one by one, Hii. Also, thanks for subbing!
I can answer your first two questions first... you can make the part on the wrist smaller by excluding wiring. The reason why I put in wiring is so I could have the double tap function, but the only wiring you need is for a solenoid valve if you are using one. The web shooter parts don't have to be metal in any way, but it is more durable and will be stronger usually.
Also the thing about just telling you how to make the device and fluid... haha, if it were that easy, this thread wouldn't exist.
I have discussed the swinging thing so many times on here I don't think I should repeat myself.
As for me, I originally built them to be a superhero with. Now it's just a cool project.

Is there a way to make a web shooter without any store bought valves or anything?

How does a solenoid valve work?

Try this:
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cinbawOwzaQQ[/YT] Skip to 0:58
As for not buying anything to make it, I really couldn't answer that well enough or specific enough; you can actually make a solenoid valve, but I haven't looked into it enough to know what it entails. If you can find a way to make a valve...

Last edited:
Anyone know how this would work without a solenoid valve at all?

Yes, you can have a lever push some blockage out of the way to release the fluid mechanically. Or you can use a drawing method, but that would require you taking apart a phone, buying small motors on the internet, or doing something that would make the web shooter super huge.

What size are these shooters going to be? I'm looking for a way to conceal the pressure vessel. I don't really want to use a backpack.

Working on a fluid and have a pretty good one. Also built most of the shooter.

Yeah I'm working on it with a friend. It's not even close to being tested. This is just the first out of many prototypes. I'd say the final product won't be created for a while. But with determination, I think I can finish this soon enough. Can I ask, is the formula given by WW in the beginning usable? Did you guys make changes? I'm just wondering because if he already gave the formula and you guys are still discussing it, WW's formula must have been wrong.

Is anyone planning on making a costume or gloves to climb walls with?

Anyways, sorry guys for being away for a while, i had my Latin exams so i had to finish off stuff and yeah.. anyways.. Congratulations on your spinnerette!! I can't believe how far we have come, and it is so inspiring seeing you guys progress and seeing old faces from the start returning to help us! thanks for everything guys!

Sorry I'm asking a lot of questions, but if I were to use a solenoid valve, would it make anything easier? And how would a trigger open the valve? Would the fluid come out of the solenoid? Lastly, should I make a motorized spinneret?

I need a lot of help since I'm new. I am going to say what I understand so far, and I would appreciate it if somebody could correct me if I'm wrong about anything, and tell me what I'm missing. I understand that there needs to be a pressure vessel. This can hold just the pressure, or both the pressure and the fluid. This needs to be connected to the shooter with tubing. There needs to be a valve. When you push on the trigger, the solenoid opens. Before the fluid shoots out, the fluid goes through a heated spinneret to spin the fluid into the form of the rope. After contact with air, the fluid solidifies. It splats and bonds on contact. The webbing will eventually evaporate due to a solvent, which varies depending on what your fluid is like. For example, if you use polyvinyl alcohol, your solvent would be water. The fluid escapes when the pressure needs to find a way out, so it goes to the only opening there is, which is the tubing. The air travels through the tubing, pushing out the fluid while doing so. I understand that the spinneret could be a bunch of needles, making the fluid into tiny slivers, and then they come out and join back together twisted around eachother. I am not sure what difference a motorized spinneret would make, and I am also not sure why the spinneret should be heated. I know that the fluid needs an elastomer, like latex, a tackifier, like glue, a solvent, like water or acetone, a strong material, such as latex, and a bonding agent, which depending on what your formula is may not be needed. What I am thinking of for my formula is polyvinyl alcohol, water, latex, and Elmer's glue. Would this hold at least 100-300 pounds. If not, what formula would? Please fill me in on what I'm missing and what I got wrong.

Could a basketball pump nozzle be where the web comes out of? And also could a lightweight person swing? Before everyone attacks me, let me clarify. I am in now way planning on jumping off a building. I mean like jumping up, shooting a web, and then continuing to do so. Also, I would stay very close to the ground.

Dude, dont take this the wrong way but you kinda sound like either a troll or a crazy fanboy/girl..

What formula could hold the most weight? I don't have access to and probably can't buy things like cellulose acetate or acetone. My parents would think that I'm crazy if they knew I was trying to build web shooters. Also, if the valve is not where the fluid comes out, what is its purpose?

Wow, I have been gone for a few days, and it seems LOADS of discussion and questions have arisen. Okay, I will try to answer all of this...
Welcome back Elxiah!
@Hii: Depending on how you build the shooters, you can make them any size you want, but really, they are going to be bulky. You can make a pressure vessel that is small, you don't have to use a backpack. I just am because it holds more fluid and the way I was making a pressure vessel was hazardous. Not that the rest of this isn't kind of hazardous, but still... And also, you've already built a shooter? Nice, I would like to know what it entails. About WW's formula, which one are you talking about? He made quite a few different formulas and configurations. I simply wanted experience in chemistry, so I am making this formula on my own. Also, I want to go through your understanding of the shooter... first off, the pressure vessel doesn't have to be something that holds just the fluid or just the pressure, or both... It is just a vessel that holds the fluid, that can withstand high pressure for the pressure for the fluid to shoot to go through. You also said the solenoid opens, it doesn't have to be a solenoid, but to each his own. Also, your inquiries... the spinneret should spin to "weave" the fluid into a line. It needs to twist around the other strands. It can be motorized or the holes can be tilted in such a way that it does so, or you can rifle it. It all achieves the same thing. The spinneret is heated to evaporate the solvent quicker. And about your formula, I honestly don't know if it would hold that much. I have never seen anything like that ever tested. White_widow made up a formula using nanocellulose, if you can find that, then that would be ideal for holding such a weight, though it would be INCREDIBLY hard to manufacture. The basketball pump nozzle... I was using one of those needles to puncture the CO2 on my first pressure vessel idea. It's inside a valve, but you can see the picture of that here. And about the swinging thing... really, the physics of it defines it not possible to swing, simply because we don't have the upper body strength as humans. However, I see nothing that completely debunks it, but I really don't know at all. Once again, the formula that would hold the most weight would be the nanocellulose, but you would have to probably work at a place like 3M to make it.
@reindeer30: Welcome back! It is pretty nice to see so many people taking interest in this project. We should be able to get steady models finished during the summer.

Wow, that was a long post, but still, one last thing... a new video comes out on my channel tomorrow. I didn't plan to do 2 project updates so close in time, but this is rather exciting. The ester that I have been attempting to form has formed. Also, I have written a new story for my film. I will discuss both in the new video, but I will mostly talk about the formula in the video. Believe me, this is really exciting... I can finally start mixing the actual formula and running tests with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"