World Web shooter shop class - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would it work if I were to use cartridges? BTW I'm aware of all the downsides

Pretty much the same, I guess. I could answer this better if you could give me more details of your shooter.

And Wadaltmon, what kind of acid would you recommend? Preferably one that is safe.

Well by now everyone on this forum probably hates me because of how many questions I ask. But once again, I have some questions. First off, what would happen if my spinneret wasn't heated? How could I easily heat it? What should I make the spinneret out of? Next, how could I make it so that the tubing is unblocked when I press the trigger? How should I block it? What could I make the trigger out of? What should the tubing be made out of? Lastly, does anyone know where I could find polyterpene and turpentine? If not, what are other things I could use for a really strong formula?

Urm, I'm gonna answer some questions of yours.. so here goes..
1. If you are using Acetone, i believe heating your spinneret is required to make the threads, as the acetone keeps it liquid.. or something.. (oh god i have totally *****ed this up xD, please correct me)
2. It is easy to heat up the spinneret, but be wary, as if you are using Acetone, it is flammable so you will need to keep the 'heat' low, and by heat i mean warm basically.
You can create a heating coil with some wire (nickel etc) and a battery, all you do is coil the wire and insert the power source. Mind you, i would rig the system up to your web shooter so that the heating activates when you fire it, so that not to waste the batteries (or whatever power source you are using).
:D hope that helped!

We don't hate you btw!!
Asking Questions is good! It's a lot better than what i do, which is just sit here waiting till i can do stuff xD. Plus, it keeps us on our feet and gives us something to think about.

No problem! Btw, i wouldn't advice using acetone in your formula, as waldaltmon has shown that it is highly corrosive and it had started to dissolve his device and cannister..

If I were to use something besides acetone as a solvent, would I still need a heating system?

Wow, there's a lot of posts. Let me try to answer all of your questions...
@Hii: Cartridges would basically have to have a pressure system on the bottom of a fluid canister, like a CO2 canister on the bottom of a PVC canister. The fluid canister would have to have a metal or plastic piston inside at the bottom, so that the piston would push on the fluid because of the pressure, thus pushing it out a valve at the top of the fluid canister. That's the basic thing. I can take some pictures of my old canister and post them on realwebtech if you want. There are two acids I could recommend. The thing is you want a strong acid, not a weak one. However, if you were able to concentrate acetic acid (vinegar) to the point of saturation or supersaturation, you could have the same effect as a dilute strong acid. If you don't feel like evaporating off water outside on a grill or Bunsen burner(you can't do it inside because the fumes are toxic... acid fumes aren't good you know), or you don't have a fume hood, I would suggest going to your auto supply store and getting some fill car battery acid. It's sulfuric acid and it's pretty reactive as is. BTW we don't hate you; you're really engaging in the project, that's good. But anyway, if you didn't heat the spinneret, then it can affect your shooter depending on your solvent. If you are using acetone, you should be fine unless you're always in weather that is 45 degrees F or lower; since acetone evaporates quickly you don't need a heating coil, but to get it to evaporate really quickly, you should use one. If you aren't using acetone, and you are using the solvent drying method, then you should use one, but it doesn't have to be high power. Ah, this next question... "How do I make the tubing unblocked when I press the trigger?"... that's what a solenoid does! It opens up a pathway by electromagnetically pulling a blockage out of the way, then snapping it back when the trigger is not pressed. If you are using just a lever for the trigger, you can make it out of thick metal, InstaMorph (white_widow's stuff), and other things. If you are using a solenoid, you basically have to use a button connected to a battery connected to the solenoid. The tubing should be made out of whatever you can find that doesn't melt when acetone (or whatever solvent you're using) goes through it. See above for your most recent question.

@Reindeer30: I saw your comment on my video, btw; thanks! Anyway, I live in America. And for your questions answers, your #1 is a little off. No matter the solvent you're using, you will probably need a heating coil. You will need it if you're not using acetone, but you may not need it with acetone. Whatever you're using, the point is to have the solvent evaporate right after the fluid leaves the shooter; that's the purpose of the heating coil. And BTW, acetone isn't corrosive, it just dissolves most any plastic. If you're not using plastic or PVC on your shooter, you can use it. I just don't want to.

Anyway, just a little update... expect Project Update 3 (real shooting of the web and a sneak peek of the film) around June 20 or when Update 2 gets 500 views. I expect that will end up around the same time, and that will give me enough time to prepare everything.

Last edited:
Can't wait for update 3!! That'll be when i should be starting my project!

Oh yeah! as soon as i typed corrosive i was thinking that i was wrong! but thanks for correcting me, better that you correct me than me make my device wrong due to a common mistake

I know I'm being pretty annoying but I don't really understand a lot of this. Like for example, wouldn't a solenoid be bulky? And how do I make it work? Next, how could I make a heating system? I'm having a lot of trouble with this project so I might give up very soon.

I know I'm being pretty annoying but I don't really understand a lot of this. Like for example, wouldn't a solenoid be bulky? And how do I make it work? Next, how could I make a heating system? I'm having a lot of trouble with this project so I might give up very soon.

Yes, a solenoid will be pretty bulky, unless you use a discrete solenoid. To make a solenoid work with a trigger, you have to hook up the positive side of a batter (probably 9V) to one side of a SPST button. On the other side of the button, hook up the positive side of the solenoid. Then hook up the negative side of the solenoid to the negative side of the battery. Easy as that. In order to make a heating system, you could connect a button to, or just not have button, a piece of nickel-chromium/nichrome wire, and wrap the wire around the nozzle.
Also, I would strongly encourage you not to give up. You've barely scratched the surface of the potential of this project. I've worked on this project for 6 years, since I was in the fifth grade. I've gotten a working prototype and almost have the formula made. After that, I'll publish all my findings so that it won't take everyone else so long.

Keep with it I've learned so much trying something this difficult. I haven't been at it as long as Wadaltmon, I started seriously working on this a little over 3 years ago in 8th grade. I've also gained a lot of experience in building things. What might help you is if you take this one step at a time, build a piece at a time.

Yeah, you have literally only just begun this project, you can't give up now! Maybe you should read some beginner science books just so you understand some terminology? Trust me that'll help a lot! Also you could just build it piece by piece taking small steps.
If you think it is too difficult, just stay here and watch us build our devices so you can learn from our endeavours and hopefully that'll inspire you to create your own device.
Remember! The device is gonna be big and chunky at the start, that is the whole point of building prototypes! The first mobile phones were huge! Now we have phones with touch-screens, that you can text from, play games on and all in a device the size of palm.
Never give up!

ugghhhh, i have been gone for so long... I feel like a drunk after a party that took 6 hours to come back home, and now here i am after stumbling in the dark for so long...so many things that i want to address right now...I don't think I can do it all today, will try to do it tomorrow. Sorry I haven't been here...it a looooooooong story. My next post will be gigantic, I can assure you that.

hey man, wanna jump on the chat site real quick?

im on again if anyone want to talk. will be for maybe an hour.

I'm getting ready to buy what I'll need. Could someone tell me the things I need and what they are for? And does anyone see this working like it does in the comic books and not just failing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"