World Web shooter shop class

Status
Not open for further replies.

White_widow

technology theorist
Reaction score
Though Parker had access to a highschool chemistry lab, he had to make these by himself. Does anyone know how to get those nice square cartridges? Not likely. Does anyone know how to melt and shape metal for under twenty bucks and without injuries? I wish. As a continuation of the How to make spiderman webshooters forum (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=343420), we will be talking about the construction of the shooters themselves. They themselves can fire any liquid, if we only knew how to build them. If you want to learn about the fluid visit (http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?p=20110745#post20110745)

Last edited:
So believe it or not, the shooter is actually pretty straight forward. It is a wrist mounted containment vessel with a valve. To explain this, there are five basic compenents.

Pressure Vessel
Trigger
valve
nozzle
cuff

The cuff is the easiest to make, the nozzle can be bought for cheap, the trigger depends on the valve, and the valve will be the most complicated part other than the pressure vessel.

The cuff straps to the arm and has slots. This is connected to a valve by a needle or whatever it takes to puncture the pressure vessel. This leads up to a valve which can be activated by a trigger. This sends the fluid through the nozzle.

Now the cuff is the easiest part, so I think we should hammer that out first.

The cuff needs a base material, a thickener, and a comfortable material. This is completed with a hinge.

The base material is usually made of something relatively strong. For mine, I will be starting with a tin can. Other ideas have included the materials used in making casts (Spectacular 23), kevlar(JMA610), and steel(JMA610)

The thickener will be strong but easy to mold and cut as this is what will hold the tubing or needle, and the cartridges. For me, I will be using tire rubber or liquid fiberglass as they are both really tough when hardened but easy to work with when in their liquid form. (though to be honest, I'm not sure if tire ruber will melt under thousands of degrees...) I don't actually know what the others are using for this portion of the shooter, but it will have to have a lower melting point than the basic material.

The comfort material is really just preferance. I would recommend either latex, rubber, or cotton. Just make it thick enough so that the bracelet doesn't chafe.

Hint: Some people really want the metal shooters. The only problem is that some metals have really high melting points. There is a solution to that. There are liquidmetal alloys that melt at room temperature and higher. That means that you can melt this kind of metal with a lighter or hair dryer. Keep in mind that whatever the melting point is, that's all it will take to ruin your shooter later. The only exception is if you create a thermal setting resin. The reason being is that they only change shape once. After that, it will be ruined.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the next easiest part is the valve/trigger. The valve should be a spring activated or solenoid valve. For those of you that don't know what a solenoid is, simply put, it is an electromagnet. They are easy to make, but with the amount of pressure we are using, it mostly likely will break or be immobile. That is why I recommend the spring valve. The force would be on any material and doesn't rely on batteries.

The spring valve would have a button or lever that fights the force of the spring to align holes on the outside of the valve, and holes on the inside in a material located inside of the valve. I guess the only way for me to explain is to post pictures but that would take a while so I'll hold off on that step.

You can also buy almost any valve so if you can't figure it out, you can just buy it. If you do decide this step, then keep in mind that valves this small aren't marketable available.

Now for the nozzle. This can be the easiest or the hardest part. That depends if you want a single strand or a bunch or little ones. It's a tube that narrows down the fluid until the pressure grows. This is what will dry spin whatever is in there. It will be screwed on or welded to it. That's where it would be easier for store bought valves. JMA actually found a spinnerette at home depot so you can split the fluid into strands.

I just tested tire rubber for heat and with 750 degrees fahrenheit, I don't think it will melt. It is remarkably strong though. If you use that, I recommend cutting the rubber into strips. and gluing them to the base.

I want to try to work on something as close as possible to the comic, to see if we can do it. Same look, same portability, everything.

I want to start with the cuff and cartridges, and work my way to the nozzle. What metal should I use for the cuff? I think aluminum, as it is light weight.

for a valve I was thinking of something like a clothespin. Or the disk White Widow mentioned in another thread.

I'm kind of stuck between two ideas of mine, the hot melt or the foam this for the foam.

To get serious, though, can you think of any other metal to make the cuff besides aluminum?

I think White Widow mentioned something about a tin can.

No thanks, but I am quite comfortable with taking apart glue gun, as I have done it many times. As for how far, I have no idea! And tin is wayyyyyy too fragile and and easily dented to be pressurized. Also, hot glue web shooter is not what I'm doing now, I have already figued that out. I want something real, but as close to the original comics as possible.

Nah, tin is for the cuff. It's an easy to bend the metal. I haven't written on the cartridges yet.

I want to start with the cuff and cartridges, and work my way to the nozzle. What metal should I use for the cuff? I think aluminum, as it is light weight.

Well keep in mind that the aluminum, while sustaining heat,cannot be welded, and id extremely flexible, so hinges won't work too well on this. It was my first cuff idea. My design will be CO2 powered, with repurposed CO2 cartridges filled with the fluid and helium to pressurize it. Then I found a device that already has a trigger, nozzle, is metal, shoots the contents of a CO2 cartridge, and is really small. Sounds perfect, right? It would be if only I could find a way to recap a cartridge without a machine shop. Then, I would put the device onto the cuff, and allI need to do is swap out the cartridges. It is really simple, and I don't know why I didn't think of it before. If you have any ideas on how to recap the cartridges, let me know.

Well keep in mind that the aluminum, while sustaining heat,cannot be welded, and id extremely flexible, so hinges won't work too well on this. It was my first cuff idea. My design will be CO2 powered, with repurposed CO2 cartridges filled with the fluid and helium to pressurize it. Then I found a device that already has a trigger, nozzle, is metal, shoots the contents of a CO2 cartridge, and is really small. Sounds perfect, right? It would be if only I could find a way to recap a cartridge without a machine shop. Then, I would put the device onto the cuff, and allI need to do is swap out the cartridges. It is really simple, and I don't know why I didn't think of it before. If you have any ideas on how to recap the cartridges, let me know.

It's gonna be unbelievably difficult to do it without a machine because you need the pressure to maintain in the cartridge while you recap it.
The only thing I suggest is possibly looking into the theory behind the new blood test tubes also known as the vacutainer.
Since the cartridge will be pierced by the containment area of the shooter this could be a good way of implementing. I initially thought of just modifying a vacutainer i.e. strengthening it by adding a layer of some sort of plastic or something. This would give us the ability to place the fluid inside and then remove it as well. This is all just stuff off the top my head though. White_widow what do you think?

to cap them, doesn't Peter solder his cartridges closed. But, sealing them while there's pressure is a challenge, hmmmm.....

there could be something in the cartridge where he puts that in before the fluid and drops some water in and it releases co2 to pressurize the cartridge.

It's gonna be unbelievably difficult to do it without a machine because you need the pressure to maintain in the cartridge while you recap it.
The only thing I suggest is possibly looking into the theory behind the new blood test tubes also known as the vacutainer.
Since the cartridge will be pierced by the containment area of the shooter this could be a good way of implementing. I initially thought of just modifying a vacutainer i.e. strengthening it by adding a layer of some sort of plastic or something. This would give us the ability to place the fluid inside and then remove it as well. This is all just stuff off the top my head though. White_widow what do you think?

Ok, THANK YOU THEBATSAM! I just did a quick bit of research into the vacutainers, and I solved my problem. The device I am using requires a male CO2 adapter on the end. If I can get a syringe needle in there (soo it will stay in place), I can have that puncture the vacutainers which will be filled with the fluid and pressurized with helium. Then the device will be able to regulate the flow of the fluid. Sounds pretty good, huh?

Sounds very good! Mind if I use that design? I just need a drawing to allow my brain to absorb it.

Next is the valve, which is in the design. After that is the nozzle, but isn't that the syringe, JM610? And... a cuff could be rubber... Wait! Are we done already???????

Sounds very good! Mind if I use that design? I just need a drawing to allow my brain to absorb it.

Next is the valve, which is in the design. After that is the nozzle, but isn't that the syringe, JM610? And... a cuff could be rubber... Wait! Are we done already???????

I would like it if you tweek it a little, as I will patent it as soon as I make a working model. That way there are no legal issues. And yah, pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"