Weinsteins To Distribute Outlander

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Hunter Rider, May 13, 2005.

1. Retroman Registered

^^Well, it'll be a new rental when it comes out which means i can only have it for one day. So it better be worth it. lol:oldrazz:

#101 Retroman, Oct 11, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  2. ttotheusher In the Palais

I gotta say, I highly enjoyed this film. I only rented it cause I had a two-for-one, and was getting Crank 2, saw this and thought why the hell not. Great, cheesy, fun movie. It was a highly enjoyable way to spend 2 hours.

3. Octoberist point blank

it was good but the vikings accepting the main character way toooo easily.

4. enterthemadness The Triumvirate

I am glad after the way TWC treated this movie, that they may be going under or being taken over by a studio. Pitiful. It was a 50 million dollar movie, independent at that (It was UK made, not Hollywood made)...and they just dump it. **** off TWC. (although to be fair...they just may not have had the money after years of releasing duds in theaters. )

5. xwolverine2 Arkham Assassin

this movie was definatly better than i excepted...decently entertaining

wtf was ron perlman in this for?..lol

6. xwolverine2 Arkham Assassin

this movie was definatly better than i excepted...decently entertaining

wtf was ron perlman in this for?..lol

7. Figs Registered

Quick paycheck I guess.

8. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

As me and others have said, its very good in a cheesy way, and very entertaining for the most part as well.

Well, if you save the kings life I think anyone would accept you rather quickly, especially in the manner he saved the kings life, by risking his own.

9. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I dont think so actually, looking at the titles of the deleted scene's a lot of his stuff was cut.

10. enterthemadness The Triumvirate

Oh yeah...the movie was like 1 hour and 50 mins...but the deleted scenes were like...at least 20 mins. Think may have been pushing 40 mins of cut stuff?

EDIT -- 41:34 is the run time for deleted scenes. Lot was cut out.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/37225/outlander/

#110 enterthemadness, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  11. Retroman Registered

Finally managed to see Outlander on dvd and i must say it was a real fun enjoyable movie.:up:

The plot of throwing Aliens in to the premitive Viking era is fairly original and the result is a film with some thrilling action sequences and solid performances from a cast which includes a few good veteran actors. The sets, effects for Morween and the movie in general were pretty cool for such 'low' budget flick. Though i must say the ending [BLACKOUT]didn't seem to give a conclusive end to the monster and to some it may seem farfetched for him to decide to stay with an ancient tribe rather than return to his own.[/BLACKOUT]:o

It's a shame the film didn't get a proper theatrical release.Though on the positive side i'm sure it will find an audience that appreciates it on dvd.
    At first i didn't even recognise him and then before i knew it [BLACKOUT]his head was on the ground[/BLACKOUT].:hehe:

12. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Yeah, I wasnt convinced by what you put in spoilers either, after all the stuff it went through, surviving that fall didnt seem beyond its capabilities, though it had taken a beating beforehand.

13. Retroman Registered

It's just a gripe really.I'd have liked to have felt [BLACKOUT]more finality when he was killed[/BLACKOUT].

In this interesting interview Movieline had with Jim Caviezel they touch upon the distribution and marketing woes the film faced.

http://www.movieline.com/2009/11/jim-caviezel-movieline-interview.php?page=2

14. zanos Registered

What good is originality if you don't do anything with your idea? What was the point of making the hero some alien dude when he had absolutely no advantages of being from some futuristic society other than his knowledge of the Alien? That's dumb. There was really nothing to distinguish him from the other vikings in that little village.

15. Figs Registered

It was a semi-twist on the Beowulf story. He was someone from another land(in this case planet) that saves these people from this beast. In this version of course he unknowingly brings the beast to Earth but it would have been a little simple for him if he was able to his use advanced weapons to take it down.

#115 Figs, Nov 16, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  16. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

^It WAS a shame we didnt see more of tyhe Alien weapons though as they looked awesome. Saying that, I do wish the swords made from the alien metal would have been used a bit more as well.

17. zanos Registered

I'm sure the marines that landed on LV-426 thought the same thing.

18. Retroman Registered

Precisely, it would be less interesting if he had his weapons.Intead he and the people needed to be creative to kill it.

BTW [BLACKOUT]the cave where the Morwen took people to kill/eat reminded me of something similar in The Descent[/BLACKOUT].

19. Figs Registered

Although my gf and I were chuckling when they tried to blow up the beast and it also
    blew the trap up seemingly killing some of themselves, we found Caviezel's water trap that was inspired by that shield dance/game pretty damn cool.

20. Retroman Registered

Me too.:word:

21. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

^Me too, that was probably the best sequence in the movie, thought Wolfric was great in that scene as well, wish it would have gone on longer.

22. Kent The Lord of Thwipp

One of the biggest problems I had with this movie (which I enjoyed BTW) was that it felt like
    the humans had done the Morwen and its race a great injustice, after all they (the humans) wiped out their entire race, but it is never given any real resolution in the film.
    For a moment when they hang there at the cliff near the end and exchange glances I expected Kainan to plummet down with the Morwen.

I don't really know if that would've been the right way to go, but it just felt like this never got any resolution.

As for if the fall would've killed the Morwen, I think the idea is that since it's a beast it has no way of stopping the bleeding from a severed lim. It would bleed out eventually.

23. redhawk23 Wrestlin'

this thread refuse to die lol

24. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

I know what you are saying about Kainan's race and the Morwen, and for a moment when they did look at each other, I thought he was going to die as well, it maybe would have been a better ending.

But in the end, I think Kainan finding a new life with the vikings was a good ending, he also confessed and knew he had done wrong to the Morwen's and that it was his responsibility for his family dying, so I think in the end he had redeemed himself.

As for The Morwen's fate, it may not have been enough to kill it but looking at it again, it was a damn big fall, and it landed at the bottom of a pretty big waterfall with water crushing on top of it, add to that the bleeding you suggested and it was a pretty definitive death in the end.

25. enterthemadness The Triumvirate

So....basically, the studio ran out of money? Becasue it's known that Weinsteins might go under soon. Even with their hit film Inglorious Basterds.

And still no Region 1 blu-ray?