The Comics Were you a fan of Iron Man before the Iron Man movie came out??

Such hypocricy. I do not come to a thread called "fan of Black Panther" and blast him. I criticize Black Panther in an Iron Man thread because there's no prohibition what so ever for attacking or defending a fictional character as spoken by Chris Wallace. It's no holds barred so it may be not up to your stomach.

And you come to make a hissy fit because I seem to dislike the character. I don't dislike Panther (which is actually different from you on Iron Man) except in the comics he and Wakanda keep the cure for cancer medicine from the rest of the world. But I still think the Panther is a noble king that care about his people, caring husband (I like Storm marriage) and a master strategist. Positive marks for T'Challa. See if you can say positives on Iron Man. Furthermore, I don't like the direction under Hudlin who almost universally thought as a bad writer.

Tell you what look yourself in the mirror. Don't criticize if you don't want to get criticized. And I don't know you and Chris Wallace are the same guy.

This thread is about the status of fans and potential fans, due to the recent Iron Man film. Someone had said that they felt that Iron Man:Director of Shield, was an under rated title. I said that I felt the book to be unreadable in its current direction and that the portrayal of Tony in the film is so dated comparaed to his current take, that unfamilar readers who have only seen the film will be disappointed. That was followed by a series of insults, verbail assailing and a mass of undue rudness. When somebody felt that Iron Man was being bashed, I persisted to list a series of events and actions that are the fault of Tony Stark.

When Captain America's death was brought up, the only response was something along the lines of "Marvel killed Captain America because his book sells so poorly compared to his Ultimate version, just like 616 Spider-Man that sells worse than Ultimate Spider-Man." They then said that Iron Man had a continuous run during his entire history. I prove all three statements wrong and not only are the facts ignored, I am further met with an unnecessary level of hostility and now, racism. There is no hypocrisy here. Only ignorance. Accept that which is and allow this thread to run a less hindered course, less the moderators close the thread or ban you (or others).

I have edited that part out and criticize BP out of the sensitive context. I am Asian and I too is a minority (or not?) so don't get mad if I talk as it's. Anyhow I have edited out that part & apologize for that particular one.

I have every right to criticize any characters that you feel as your idolized characters as have you done to Iron Man. I may not feel highly so much on Iron Man, but these gentlemen with Iron Man names might and you might have very well pissed on their parade. Say your feelings, and begone. It's no use to keep prattling about some opinions that we have already known and there are discussions more interesting than getting mad on this particular thread.

I think you're not mature enough if Moderators work here is to ban people other than me who have different opinons than yours. And the real insipid ignorance here is when you don't have any feelings on a thread obviously made to put a speak good word on Iron Man comic character, you need to piss on their parade. A tactful course is to say the reason you don't like Iron Man, and off this thread. This is not the comics thread when you can say any opinions on IM, this is thread for people enthusiastic after watching the movie. Even if it's not prohibited, there's an unwritten boundary that shouldn't be brought over the line. It's like in party honoring someone, you need to become a party pooper (once-twice is not a party pooper, multiple posts & acting defensive when clearly own writings are the culprit is party pooper). I don't know how it fares in your values, but in my Asian values that's just plain rude.

I think most lost sight of what this thread was about, were you a fan before the film, It's very gradifying to see new and enthusiatic fans of Iron Man, and want to take interest in the character and his rich 45+ year history, Iron Man DOS is a under-rated book IMO, you can read it or not that's fine. There are several comic charcters I do not like and I would never go to there baords and attack there fans and degrad the character, unfortunitly, that same respect was not given to Iron Man and the fans of that character, in this thread.

I first started reading Iron Man when he still had the clunky gold suit (yep, I'm that old)....I followed just about all of the Marvel characters religiously until the late 80's....then, due to several factors, I got out of reading any comic on a regular basis (many, I haven't read any of their books for years)....I am a fan of Stark and many other Marvel characters....but I don't have an intense knowlege of thier storylines for years. This hasn't hurt my enjoyment of the movies in the least.

Such hypocricy. I do not come to a thread called "fan of Black Panther" and blast him. I criticize Black Panther in an Iron Man thread because there's no prohibition what so ever for attacking or defending a fictional character as spoken by Chris Wallace. It's no holds barred so it may be not up to your stomach.

And you come to make a hissy fit because I seem to dislike the character. I don't dislike Panther (which is actually different from you on Iron Man) except in the comics he and Wakanda keep the cure for cancer medicine from the rest of the world. But I still think the Panther is a noble king that care about his people, caring husband (I like Storm marriage) and a master strategist. Positive marks for T'Challa. See if you can say positives on Iron Man. Furthermore, I don't like the direction under Hudlin who almost universally thought as a bad writer.

Tell you what look yourself in the mirror. Don't criticize if you don't want to get criticized. And I don't know you and Chris Wallace are the same guy.
1-don't lump me in with another poster like that; and I only have ONE profile on here.
2-this thread posed a question. I answered it & gave my reasons why.

I've been a fan since the 80's. I have both michiline Layton runs and the Kaminiski Hopgood run, most of the Marvel Legends. Tony, Iron Man and jim Rhodes are my favorite characters in the MU.

I've been an Iron Man fan since the 90's. In fact, back then he was by favorite superhero, now it's Batman. So ya, I was a fan way before the movie. Am very happy the movie/character has finally gotten the recognition that it has w/ the recent movie release.

yep. i read some of my first Iron Man comics back in the late 80s early 90s.. and started collecting it from then on. even hit comic shops so i could get some of the older issues. even picked up a few tales of suspense issues. then i stopped collecting comics for a few years...i 'fell off the wagon' and now ive started collecting again. :) why iron man? not sure what really was the big draw besides the kick a$$ armors. :)

I saw the movie first, and have been reading up on some of the comics because I really enjoyed the movie. What a different character Tony is though; in the comic, he hasn't really changed all that much and his movie part really makes him a more likable guy. I still have more to read, but a lot of people don't like him and I feel awkward saying this, but I'd still do him. ;P

I was introduced to Iron Man by way of the mid 90's or so cartoon, which I really liked at the time. Didn't connect with Iron Man again until the civil war and was shocked, confused, and interested in what was going on. The movie is gonna make me pick up some more Iron Man comics, even though I know the humor and likability that RDJ infused ain't there.

I was introduced to Iron Man by way of the mid 90's or so cartoon, which I really liked at the time. Didn't connect with Iron Man again until the civil war and was shocked, confused, and interested in what was going on. The movie is gonna make me pick up some more Iron Man comics, even though I know the humor and likability that RDJ infused ain't there.

I'm glad to see your interested in picking up Iron Man titles, there both very good, I also feel the same way about the lack of humor and likability that the movie had and the comics don't, both titles have become very seriuos in tone, while still great reads, the fun and humor of the 80's aren't there anymore.

Of course I was a fan of Iron Man before it came out. What am I, a newbie? Seriously though, I'm glad that all these superhero films will introduce a new generation to the comic book world. It's great that it's being so widely received when back in the day it would just be laughed at.

I wasn't a huge fan but I was a fan. The whole events from the Civil War really made me not like Iron Man to much but after how good the movie Iron Man was I cant help but like him a lot more now. Robert Downey Jr. did such a great job that its not only made him likable to me again but made comic books alot more appealing to common movie goers everywhere, and if any comic book movie can do that then Im all for it

To be honest, No. Never seen a IM comic book before the movie came out, and only read brief explanation in wikipedia before watching the film (and I was really impressed!). Same can be said about TIH as well. Both movies totally passed my original expectations and have converted me to be a fan(although I liked TDK better than both I was a batman fan to begin with so I am a bit biased I guess).

My rating:

The Incredible Hulk: Very Good

Iron Man: Great

The Dark Knight: Instant classic

I started reading at the point where Tony was paralyzed and Iron Man was controlled by Tony's mind from the confines of his bed. Rhodey basically resigned within that issue at that point.

Who here thinks that the only way to redeem the current Iron Man/Tony Stark would be to make him go through his own origin once more? Captured and tortured but this time by the Skrull (It could happen). This is one of the things I liked about the movie. It makes you feel really bad for him. I watched at home and had a DOS comic on my lap. Movie Stark & Comic Stark are two very different creatures.

As I was saying, worst of all, as he lies in his prison, screaming in pain, Cap's ghost comes along and says, "Giving up so easily soldier?"

I think that would hurt him. The realization that the man he indirectly killed is so noble that he does not blame Tony for his actions. Basically a huge "Mind *****"

This is in lieu of someone suggesting a reboot to make him more likable and similar to his movie counterpart. I even got a title name: IRON MAN - Re-Design

The first comic I ever bought was an Iron man comic in 1981

Iron Man I have been a fan of for years. I have plenty of Iron Man comics, and the Avengers has always been one of my favorite books (though Cap is my favorite Avenger related character period).

I actually am not huge on what they've done with Stark lately, but that is just me.

I have been a fan for a while now, i loved the character before the movie came out, when it was annouced that they were doing a film and Downey Jr was Stark i was over the moon.

I'm actually digging Stark more so now than I did before because of the events in the comics that have shown the world just how much of a *****e bag he is. You gotta love a guy like that.

I've been a fan since watching the cartoon growing up. I loved it, even if Tony did have a mullet.
Since then I've been reading the comics more or less since I got into comics roughly 10 years ago and I've loved it even more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"