What can Fox etc learn from X3?

X-Maniac

High Evolutionary
Reaction score
X3 was certainly a movie where '3' was the dominant number.

Three directors - Singer, Vaughn, Ratner

Three cinematographers - Philippe Rousselot (hired by Vaughn, left a few weeks into production), Dante Spinotti (who had to leave near the end to do another movie), J Michael Muro (finished it off).

Three cast members signing to do other projects - James Marsden, Rebecca Romijn, Anna Paquin. Their characters' screentimes (storylines?) were affected as a result.

Has Fox learned from this? Will they take more care next time around?

Interestingly, one Wolverine movie treatment featured Emma Frost and Sentinels, but is reportedly now abandoned. Would that have been another mistake, another controversy, to put Emma and the Sentinels (and Arcade too) in the Wolverine spin-off? Arcade was written as a Sentinel programmer, he and Emma were part of the Hellfire Club, they had to capture Wolverine to program the mutant x-gene information into the Sentinels. Wolverine defeated the early Sentinels, leading to the project being suspended.

Rebecca signing to another project? Which one? I was about sure she was there for the entire production and 100% avaiable. There was never the "we did what we could with her" excuse like with Marsden. Her fate is just a result of poor screenwriting.

Fox will never learn. They think they made the right moves with the X-franchise since it made money. Its a shame really

rebecca had some TV show (the pepper denis show)
so she wasnt able to be in the chess scene with magneto

phoenix_force said:
rebecca had some TV show (the pepper denis show)
so she wasnt able to be in the chess scene with magneto
then thank god she wasn't avaiable. It's just horrid to think she would still support him.

X-Maniac said:
X3 was certainly a movie where '3' was the dominant number.

Three directors - Singer, Vaughn, Ratner

Three cinematographers - Philippe Rousselot (hired by Vaughn, left a few weeks into production), Dante Spinotti (who had to leave near the end to do another movie), J Michael Muro (finished it off).

Three cast members signing to do other projects - James Marsden, Rebecca Romijn, Anna Paquin. Their characters' screentimes (storylines?) were affected as a result.

Has Fox learned from this? Will they take more care next time around?

Interestingly, one Wolverine movie treatment featured Emma Frost and Sentinels, but is reportedly now abandoned. Would that have been another mistake, another controversy, to put Emma and the Sentinels (and Arcade too) in the Wolverine spin-off? Arcade was written as a Sentinel programmer, he and Emma were part of the Hellfire Club, they had to capture Wolverine to program the mutant x-gene information into the Sentinels. Wolverine defeated the early Sentinels, leading to the project being suspended.

The problem Maniac is that Fox will never learn from this. The film itself made money back and while the responses were mixed, the general public who weren't privy to the behind the scenes politics enjoyed it. Not this isn't for everyone, but some X-Men fans love this movie and accept it because it's the X-Men. So in retrospect they know that a sequel or even a prequel to the events of these three films could be made with the same rushed production, the same political aspects, and the same confusion when it came to the availability of directors and actors, in the end it would probably still make a lot money even if it was nothing but static.

I want the rights away from Fox. While I do in fact love the first two films, they really handled the franchise horribly and don't deserve it.

this generally happens to franchises once they get to 3 or 4 films, and even though before the movie comes out the fans are thinking, "theres no way it could happen to my favorite franchise" it always does, because it always comes down to money weather you like it or not. Money corrupts the production crew.

My question is if they read the critics, and if are agree or not, I'd like to know it, what they think of what cricitc says.

no they dont care,as long as they make big bucks they dont care

As everyone said here, Fox doesn't care to learn anything, especially if they made $$$$$.:(

No I don't think so. Thanks for adding that by the way.

X3 made about 450 million dollars.

They won't have learned a thing.

umm let them keep it and see if they do justice to WOLVERINE movie.

I mean common i heard somewhere they want singer back for X4 so i am sure they will figure a way to get him back either by hook or by crook!!!!

if Wolverine won't be realeased until 2009, then X4 will be released next year as so soon, so Bryan will be abble.

Forget X4. If Singer gets on board again, I want him to retcon the disaster called X3.

Awww... When will it hit you guys that, despite it's flaws, X3 was a great movie and fit well with the first two? The dissapointment you most likely feel is just a longing for content which is based more on the source material. Which, yeah, X3 strayed very far from it. But you have the previous movies to blame for some of X3's "issues." I can probably guarantee that any of you would think X3 is a fantastic movie if you would have never picked up an X-Men comic... So, for some of we avid readers, it may feel like a slap-in-the face. But don't let that cloud your eyes when watching a quality movie.

^That may be a bit off-topic, but, hey, I had to get it out.

I wouldn't mind having Singer back. He concentrated on character development and told a great story, however, if he was to never direct another X-Men film then I'd say let Ridley Scott, James Cameron, or maybe even Peter Jackson take a crack at it.

While others feel X3 is a great movie, to me it's not a good movie at all. I feel that with the stories X1/X2 set up X3 ultimately ruined the continuity that made the two films great. On paper X3 is a brilliant concept. The idea is spectacular and one you would think would be impossible to mess up.

On the other hand I feel Ratner, Kinberg, and Penn really ruined what could've been a film that surpasses the Matrix, Return of the King, and maybe even Braveheart. If not surpass it, definitely rival it in every sense of the word, you know?

If a sequel is not made anytime soon then I'm all for a reboot. Start from scratch and move forward.

Just as long as Ratner, Uwe Boll, Pitoff, or Paul Anderson is nowhere near the material. :cwink:

Personally, I haven't read many comics (about 5 or 6 my whole life) but I still find X3 not a good enough movie. Bad? No, but it's far from being the quality super-hero movies, and movies in general, that X1 and X2, especially, were. While it's not bad, it has clear and terrible mistakes in screenwriting, continuity, direction, etc, which ultimately, for me, hurt the movie as a whole. Not because of the inconsistencies with the comics, but judging solely as a film, based on nothing, it still doesn't entirely deliver, imo.

The Ones said:
Fox will never learn. They think they made the right moves with the X-franchise since it made money. Its a shame really

Pretty much. As long as they made money, they could care less about the art. Fox never really had any intentions of doing a fully realized version of the X-men anyway, which really saddens me. Their intentions was obviously to take a wait and see approach to the franchise--more of a reactive; let's place it safe and see where this thing goes, if it goes anywhere at all attitude. As opposed to a; this could be potentially another Star Wars size franchise if we do this right, let's try to hit this one out of the park.

That said, I'm beginning to blame Marvel more and more for letting Fox do what they did to one of the most outstanding comicbook franchises ever.

It really is sad that so much potential basically got flushed down the drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"