The Dark Knight Rises What comic canon will Nolan break, or should he break?

GregComicFan

movie and comic buff
Reaction score
Hi,

Reading the "What do you want in the sequel" thread got me thinking... and I felt it was different enough to warrant its own thread....

We all know Batman's comic book canon, what is considered "fact" in the Batman universe, according to and using the in-canon comics as our guide, and we realize already that Nolan has changed/omitted some things about it... for example: 1) Ras wasn't exactly immortal/No Lazarus Pits mentioned 2) Joker's skin was painted white, not permanently white 3) the Batmobile is a tank 4) and the list can go on and on and on....

So here's a new question...

Is there anything in Batman 3 you are confident Nolan will change about Batman's comicbook canon? Is there anything you feel Nolan should take the opportunity to change, ie something you DONT like about Batman's comic universe and you want Nolan to remedy with his revisioning?

I would put some choices here, but obviously I couldn't think of everything.

Let's talk about it :)

In my opinion, I think it MIGHT be kinda cool, and useful to the story, if Gordon found out Batman was Bruce Wayne, and covered it up.... it works within Nolan's "realistic" context (Come on, if Reeves figured it out, surely Gordon can too!)... and it could work within the Batman 3 storyline.

So I vote for that.

What else? What else will Nolan change/omit/revise? What should he revise? Remember, we're not talking about what you want in the sequel... we are talking about what Nolan will radically change, or what you think he should radically alter about Batman's canon for his movie version.

Last edited:
Not making Ivy a plant hybrid. Just an eco-terrorist who uses science as a weapon.

Thanks "The Mayor" for your reply!!!

wooooooo! My thread didnt get closed!!!!

(Greg dances. Confetti falls from the ceiling, and balloons fly everywhere)

okay carry on with the discussion:

What about Nightwing? So many people want to see a film-version of Nightwing, but Nolan is dead-set against Robin. What about skipping over Robin completely and just having Batman meeting adult-Nightwing???

That would definitely anger some fans and destroy canon, but it would please fans who want to see a filmed Nightwing.

well, the way I'd do it, I'd have Alfred at the end of the movie give something to Bruce, to chear him up. Bruce opens the envelope and finds...two circus tickets. The next director will have the choice to take that into account, or ignore it.

Thanks "The Mayor" for your reply!!!

wooooooo! My thread didnt get closed!!!!

(Greg dances. Confetti falls from the ceiling, and balloons fly everywhere)

okay carry on with the discussion:

What about Nightwing? So many people want to see a film-version of Nightwing, but Nolan is dead-set against Robin. What about skipping over Robin completely and just having Batman meeting adult-Nightwing???

That would definitely anger some fans and destroy canon, but it would please fans who want to see a filmed Nightwing.

I think it would anger too many fanboys for that to happen, honestly. If anything, I could see Nolan marking a young guy as Robin, and when Bruce finds out and stops him from parading around as Robin, he turns him into a more developed weapon named Nightwing.

Either way, I want all the Bat-family to get their own spin-offs, and all of them finally come together in a No Man's Land type of event.

btw, just to add about the wish that Gordon should find out who Batman is etc. IIRC, in the comics it's implied that he indeed knows (he was too good a detective, or something), but chose to close his eyes and play ignorant.

Not making Ivy a plant hybrid. Just an eco-terrorist who uses science as a weapon.

Yes :up:

I hate the Ivy plant hybrid in the comics. The way she was in BTAS was perfect.

Yes :up:

I hate the Ivy plant hybrid in the comics. The way she was in BTAS was perfect.
What is she like in BTAS? It's so long since I saw it, I can't remember. I love the way she was depicted in the old LOTDK story 'Hothouse', a murderous botanist femme fatale with a Batman fixation, and nary a green outfit in sight (except for when Batman has a toxin-induced hallucination). That would be the way to bring her to screen.
Changes to the canon? Have Alfred die in the third movie.

The existence of Batgirl for starters, lol

Other than that, I don't have an idea at the moment. One thing that I LOVE which they already did, is the suit is more like armor and less like cloth. I know this was in previous movies, but in the comics, he still doesn't wear anything like in the movies. They accounted for gunshot injuries; a glaring omission in the comics imo.

IF Robin's canon, he should keep skipping that one, as he has been doing.

I'm still angry over the fact that TF was not born in the court room from acid, but oh well.

If I were to change anything (which I would love to undo in the comics as well) would be never to paralyze Barbara Gordon. Granted we'll probably never see her from Nolan anyway, but I don't want any director ever going that route.

I posted a very controversial idea on here a way back about Black Mask being an alter ego of Bruce Wayne (a ploy the riddler eventually discovers) - i still think that would work.

What is she like in BTAS? It's so long since I saw it, I can't remember.

She was an eco terrorist. Punishing anyone who committed crimes against mother nature. She used science and her knowledge of botany as her weapons. Making all kinds of fatal plant based poisons for her victims. Not to mention the monster mutant plants she'd create.

She also had a hyper active immune system that made her immune to all poisons and toxins.

Her best episode was her first one, Pretty Poison, where she dates Harvey Dent, and poisons him by putting it in her lipstick and giving him a big long kiss. Harvey's crime against nature was he had a field full of wild flowers plowed up in order to build Stonegate Penetentiary.

***redacted***

Last edited:
Maybe the next film could be something completely new? Maybe it could feature a villain that didn't appear in the books? That might be interesting. If it helps flesh out Bruce Wayne and he/she becomes a worthy adversary... why not?

That's one thing I wouldn't want... I def want to see Nolan re-interpret an established villain... not create an original one (unless its in a supporting role)... but not for the main villain of the movie.

The Joker is basically "leader of the freaks" in the comics. Since Ledger passed, what if Scarecrow, in Batman 3, was the leader?

The existence of Batgirl for starters, lol

Other than that, I don't have an idea at the moment. One thing that I LOVE which they already did, is the suit is more like armor and less like cloth. I know this was in previous movies, but in the comics, he still doesn't wear anything like in the movies. They accounted for gunshot injuries; a glaring omission in the comics imo.

You forget that under the cloth in the comics is armor padding. That is also the reason why he has the yellow Batman symbol on his chest(like in Batman ;89)it's like a target for criminals if they do tend to shoot at him, it sticks out.

It would almost be like if you take the batman suit in TDK and reverse the plates of armor with the mesh cloth. Put the armor plates under the mesh cloth and you sort of have what he wears in the comics...that has been my wish for a possible costume closer to the comics in a third film.

While it did disappoint me a little to see Joker not perma-clown in Nolan's movie, I would be even more disappointed if Nolan made Mr. Freeze entirely different than his comic-book/BTAS counterparts.

Penguin, Bane, Catwoman, Riddler, Poison Ivy, and Killer Croc he can play around with. Same with Harley.

Sidekicks. This version of Batman should have none.

What is she like in BTAS? It's so long since I saw it, I can't remember. I love the way she was depicted in the old LOTDK story 'Hothouse', a murderous botanist femme fatale with a Batman fixation, and nary a green outfit in sight (except for when Batman has a toxin-induced hallucination). That would be the way to bring her to screen.
Changes to the canon? Have Alfred die in the third movie.

Id hate to see Alfred die besides we already had a sick and dying Alfred in B&R

I like Gregs idea of Gordon finding out who Batman is but acting blind to it.... it would make the Lamborgini crash scene even cooler to watch after knowing he would think about that and realize what he did....

Its not really different, But regarding the take on The Riddler Id rather him be portrayed the way he was in TLH where he is a slimy guy who is hired to find out who Batman is, rather than be a robber who leaves clues, more so someone who praises him self for being a detective, and solving riddles

with Catwoman I never liked the idea of her being a prostitute, ... why does Frank Miller always portray women as ****es?

Id hate to see Alfred die besides we already had a sick and dying Alfred in B&R

I would only agree to seeing Alfred die in Batman 3, and ONLY if, Batman 3 was the very final Nolan Batman picture and a totally new director and vision and direction and cast was used from that point on. If Nolan deemed it necessary for Alfred to die in his last Batman movie, I can live with it....

But then he'd come back for a new series of Batman movies.

Any changes to the villains IMO will be ok because i trust Nolan so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"