What DCEU film would you love the Russos to direct?

I think, given what they're capable of, I'd rather them take on something with a grander spectacle in the sense that a solo film, about a singular character just isn't going to cut it. I wouldn't want them behind a Batman or Superman film for example.

If a script could get written to include several Green Lanterns, or even the Corps as a whole, then I'd love for them to take that on. Failing that, Flashpoint, but only in the sense that it wouldn't be specifically a story about Barry Allen, it would be a larger story of which Barry Allen would play a large part of.

I was tempted to say a sequel to Justice League too, but I think they'd be best to leave that alone for a while until they can decide what to do about their Batman and Superman casting situations.

Whatever movie they want to do. Frankly, WB would be idiots to turn them down, no matter what property they are interested in adapting.

Probably Green Arrow. They would've been good for Suicide Squad or Birds of Prey, too.

They would not be a good fit for Superman.

They would not be a good fit for Superman.

Sir, I beg to differ. They took Captain America, the MCU's straightest and stiffest character and made two truly great, engaging and exciting films with him in the lead. After seeing what they did for Cap in Civil War and Winter Soldier I would love to see what they could do with Superman. I bet they could revitalize him and make him more relevant - something the comics and animation have succeeded at but recent live action films have failed to do. Ironically Justice League ( which was very mediocre) had the best Superman portrayal in a long time. I have no doubt the Russos could take Supes to a new level.

They’ve admitted they would struggle with characters as powerful as Superman. Pretty sure they named dropped him specifically.

^ Yup.

The minute anyone expresses even the slightest distate or difficultly with "OP" characters, they should be disqualified from helming Superman, IMO.

And honestly, I've already seen them helm one boy scout character. I don't need to see them do another, just like I don't need to see them do another Avengers-style superhero team. It's like wanting to see Nolan do another brooding street level superhero that was trained by ninjas.

I'd also argue that both the comics and animation, at least modern ones, have generally failed to keep Superman relevant, or as relevant as he used to be, but that's another topic for another time.

Last edited:
Yeah, they can do cool things with OP characters in short bursts, but in the end, they usually take them off the board quickly, or find a way to nerf them.

I still say Green Arrow could be a good vehicle for them. I'd love to see them elevate a lesser known character instead of doing Superman or Batman.

^ Yup.

The minute anyone expresses even the slightest distate or difficultly with "OP" characters, they should be disqualified from helming Superman, IMO.

And honestly, I've already seen them helm one boy scout character. I don't need to see them do another, just like I don't need to see them do another Avengers-style superhero team. It's like wanting to see Nolan do another brooding street level superhero that was trained by ninjas.

I'd also argue that both the comics and animation, at least modern ones, have generally failed to keep Superman relevant, or as relevant as he used to be, but that's another topic for another time.

That will be a discussion to look forward to - although your qualifier "...as he used to be," is fair and to the point.

Yeah, they can do cool things with OP characters in short bursts, but in the end, they usually take them off the board quickly, or find a way to nerf them.

I still say Green Arrow could be a good vehicle for them. I'd love to see them elevate a lesser known character instead of doing Superman or Batman.
Do not know if Green Arrow counts as a "lesser known" character anymore.

The only OP hero they handled right was Thor in Infinity War. Their treatment of Vision and Captain Marvel left a lot to be desired.

I guess they really didn't like Vision - because while he has some good character moments he doesn't contribute much to IW other than get killed.

However, IMO they do a better job with Captain Marvel ( who pretty much is the MCU's Superman) in a few minutes than the entire Captain Marvel film does of making her a tough but relatable and impressive character ( which is what Wonder Woman managed to do in the first 30 minutes of her own film).

As for other OP characters:

Scarlet Witch - Russos made her OP and awesome, nearly killing Thanos single handed.

Dr Strange - very OP in Russo films, much more so than his own movie. He comes off like a boss.

Thor, as you mentioned- very OP at the end of IW, and struggling with depression in EG. While he seemed nerfed its worth remembering that Thanos handed him his ass at the start of IW and at the end he nearly killed Thanos mostly because it was a surprise attack with a very quick follow up.

I realise there are those who didn't like the Dude Thor arc, but it worked for me. Turned out the one enemy he couldn't defeat was self-recrimination, until he got a hug from his mom. People deal with stuff like that every day.

Of course the 2 tricks they use to handle these OP characters are

1) have a villain who is the ultimate OP character ( when he has the gauntlet, although he was prettt badass it ), so they don't have an easy time.

2) Give them real human frailties and personalities so they're relatable.

If they don't want to take on Superman that's sad, because I maintain that they could do a great job.

Hopefully the job will go to someone who understands the core of Superman's character and is invested in him.

That doesn't make him as known as Superman or Iron Man.

Nope...but that was not where this conversation started. You said a lesser known character without defining what you meant by that, and I said I do not know if Green Arrow qualifies for that sort of distinction much anymore. Now, if you want to add the qualifier he is not as well known as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Wolverine or Iron Man, sure, he is not as well known.

The Russos have expressed they preferred Marvel and didn't really care for the DC characters growing up so I wouldn't want filmmakers without any affinity for the characters taking on a project. Joe Russo likes Batman so maybe something in that vein. I wonder if they would be a good fit for the Question. They seem to like those exploring some moral ambiguity in their Marvel films so maybe The Question would be up their alley.

True but he’s not a “lesser known” hero. Arrow And the CW shows have somewhat entered the zeitgeist, it’s a pretty successful show. As far as DC heroes go, he’s one of the more well known ones for sure.

Last edited:
Nope...but that was not where this conversation started.

I know where the conversation started. Regardless of where it started, you said that "maybe" GA was lesser known compared to Superman and Iron Man, citing the popularity of his TV Show. A CW TV show does not make you as well known as the most iconic superhero of all time and the most popular superhero from one of the most iconic and lucrative film franchises in movie history.

I know where the conversation started. Regardless of where it started, you said that "maybe" GA was lesser known compared to Superman and Iron Man, citing the popularity of his TV Show. A CW TV show does not make you as well known as the most iconic superhero of all time and the most popular superhero from one of the most iconic and lucrative film franchises in movie history.
Not going to take "Yeah, I agree with that" for an answer, eh?

That didn't necessarily work for Singer or Snyder.

That didn't necessarily work for Singer or Snyder.

Weak take. Calling Singer a Superman fan is reach. He was a Donner fanboy and it showed in his slave like devotion to the 1978 film.

Synder's a DC fan? All I've ever heard him talk about is Watchmen and DKR...which doesn't make someone a DCU fan considering neither were canon to the mainline comics. Call me when he can namedrop a DC writer that isn't named Alan Moore or Frank Miller.

Whether Singer became a fan of Superman because of Donner or not, I'd still say he was a fan.

And I thought I remember Snyder saying that the reason he wanted to do Superman was because he was the father/grandfather of Superheroes. That sounds like a fan to me.

Someone doesn't need to be in the comic industry to be considered as such.

I'm sure that Snyder has said a number of things about why he wanted to tackle Superman. He strikes me as someone who was always more of a casual fan of the IP and who appreciated Superman's iconic nature but not the actual character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"