What do people get out of being so cynical?

Reaction score
This was not a perfect movie (there's no perfect movie, even Casablanca has goofs), but I thought it was a terrific adaptation of the source material.
I'm not saying people should all LOVE the movie, but I am getting tired of people spewing out hateful comments about the squid, the excessive slo-mo (it's not), how this could have been done better, how it was "dumbed-down", how *insert actor* was totally wrong and they would have gotten someone else, blah blah blah.

Jesus Christ, people....what does it take to make you happy?

If you get a 100% adaptation, you whine about "meh, they just filmed the comic, there's no creativity".
If you get changes, you whine about "meh, they totally change the story".

You get an instrumental musical score, you whine about it not being good enough.
You get a new song, you whine about it "dating the movie" or "selling out".
You get an older song representing something in the movie (the theme, the era, etc), you whine about the movie being pretentious and trying to be deep.

I think Snyder ought to get a goddamned medal for taking on this huge project and making sense out of it without having to do a 12 hour mini-series.

There's criticism to be done, of course, I mean, I ask again, what movie is perfect?
But it pisses me off the way some people voice their complaints, as if they were some kind of know-it-all connoisseur, in a very annoying and snobby way, like they could have done better (like I said in a different thread, grab a damn camera and do something about it then).
This is not limited to just here, of course, and I'm not saying people shouldn't complain...it's just that I believe some people focus exclusively on the negative things, as if not being satisfied with the movie and acting so cynical about it somehow makes them unique or cool (it doesn't).

I'm gonna get blasted for this thread, I'm sure, and I don't care.
I guess some people will understand what I'm trying to say, though.

Me? I am 100% grateful for the great movie that I got, and 100% grateful to Snyder who had the balls to make the best movie he could, for not backing down to a PG-13 rating, for getting "actors" instead of "stars" or "flavors of the month", and for many other things.

블라스;16560609 said:
Me? I am 100% grateful for the great movie that I got, and 100% grateful to Snyder who had the balls to make the best movie he could, for not backing down to a PG-13 rating, for getting "actors" instead of "stars" or "flavors of the month", and for many other things.

Agreed. I loved it. It's not perfect but I am very grateful to Snyder for giving us what he did. I'm amazed at how much of the story he managed to convey in 2 hours and 45 minutes. He and his team did a heck of a job.

yay! A rant thread about some of you freaking people! Gimme a rock and a club, party time!

I agree with this post.

While it is perfectly ok to voice your opinions about things you dislike or hate there will always be those people that are never happy. The kind of people, where if the things they didn't like were changed they would just move on to hate on something else...even something they didn't have a problem with before.

I have to admit while the poster Bubastis was one of the ones that absolutely hated on this film for so long his review was fair. He at least acknowledged the good things and wasn't hating on every single thing.

I definitely have more respect for him since I was expecting his review to be like the people the thread starter was talking about. Where they would write off everything, ignorantly ignoring the many things Snyder got right.

I feel like a real man for being cynical.

fanboys have been doing this for a long time....which is why comicbook guy on the Simpsons is so cynical and he was created in the 90's

Agreed. I loved it. It's not perfect but I am very grateful to Snyder for giving us what he did. I'm amazed at how much of the story he managed to convey in 2 hours and 45 minutes. He and his team did a heck of a job.
Me too. It's interesting reading comments from other SHHers, because some of the ones rating Watchmen low have the same issues with the movie as I do, but I give the movie more of a pass because of what they DID manage to do. I'm a softie. :funny:

fanboys have been doing this for a long time....which is why comicbook guy on the Simpsons is so cynical and he was created in the 90's

It's not just fanboys, it's a lot of the reviewers who have done it as well. The movie isn't perfect (no movie is perfect) but it's still a great adaptation and I think a lot of reviewers missed the boat on it. Many of them hadn't read the book, some of them had but still bashed it to death.

Who gives a flying **** what others think. If you liked it fine!!!!

That is all that matters

In the end, it really doesn't matter....I just find it so goddamned annoying, which is my fault.
Still, damn...

I also read complaints about the fight sequences...how that first fight between you know who and The Comedian was just a way to appeal to the masses. Heh, please get off you high horse, seriously...

Btw, the fight sequences were great! They reminded me of late 70's/early 80's, non-wire Yuen Wo Ping fights, especially with the really elegant moves of Ozy.

I'm pleased with the movie, and I loved it. But my main issue was some things cut out that effected the story. Such as, Laurie's lack of hate for Blake. That hurt the movie a bit IMO.

블라스;16560783 said:
In the end, it really doesn't matter....I just find it so goddamned annoying, which is my fault.
Still, damn...

I also read complaints about the fight sequences...how that first fight between you know who and The Comedian was just a way to appeal to the masses. Heh, please get off you high horse, seriously...

Btw, the fight sequences were great! They reminded me of late 70's/early 80's, non-wire Yuen Wo Ping fights, especially with the really elegant moves of Ozy.

Have to agree with you again, that was something I was happy about, little to no wire-fu.

블라스;16560783 said:
Still, damn...

One fight that I really loved was Rorschach against the cops when he gets framed for killing Moloch. Rorschach was kicking all kinds of ass (with excellent camera work) until the cops overwhelmed him in numbers.

Have to agree with you again, that was something I was happy about, little to no wire-fu.

Really liked the different styles too....
Blake: Powerhouse.
Rorschach: Brawler with some martial arts.
Nite owl: Very practiced martial artist.
Ozy: Too damn elegant.

Heh the attention to detail in the fights was fantastic IMO.

One fight that I really loved was Rorschach against the cops when he gets framed for killing Moloch. Rorschach was kicking all kinds of ass (with excellent camera work) until the cops overwhelmed him in numbers.

So true.
Don't get me started on the camera work....they fights were filmed perfectly.
This is why I said they reminded me of HK movie fights :up:

블라스;16560812 said:
Really liked the different styles too....
Blake: Powerhouse.
Rorschach: Brawler with some martial arts.
Nite owl: Very practiced martial artist.
Ozy: Too damn elegant.

Heh the attention to detail in the fights was fantastic IMO.

Yeah, ****...I need to see this film again.

How often do you get a movie where just about every character fights different than the next. I didn't really take full notice until you just pointed that out lol.

Only one that made me think about it much was Ozy. That was mainly because he was kicking Dan and Walter's asses like it was nothing and like you said he did it in an elegant like manner.

블라스;16560812 said:
So true.
Don't get me started on the camera work....they fights were filmed perfectly.
This is why I said they reminded me of HK movie fights :up:

Granted, I'm usually not a fan of slow-mo stuff but it really didn't bother me. I expected it to be distracting based on all the hateful reviews about it. But it really wasn't very distracting. The camerawork kicked ass overall.

I didnt like that jump he did....my friend thought everyone had powers...heh.

But other then that, I loved the Ozzy fight.

Like you said, they were expecting a panel to panel adaption, but it's freaking Hollywood, clearly they had to make changes.

Zack Synder has constantly stated that the squid would have taken 25 minutes to explain in the film ending, and he would have had to sacrifice character moments. But I refused to believe this, considering Adrian's wordy explanation of his plan in the book, and how long it takes one to read it, can't be too sure, precisely. But then there is the motion comic..
A full visual moving version of the comic, in detail. How to disprove Synder's theory: one merely has to time the motion comic. Which of course, with excellent pacing, takes Adrian's exact words about his precise plan about 5 minutes to play out. Not even 20.

And that last fight with Ozy...please. That if anything was too much. Could of spent the extra minute explaining the squid.

well what do you get outof being positive. Now I get what your saying and I am against people personally attacking others just over a small part of the film, but why is it always we as a audience have to accept stuff. The film maker is taking something we love and adapting it. The excuse of "can't make a strait adaptaion" has been said to death and I just really never got this excuse. The source materil is right there to be remade and when you leave out key moments about character development, the final product is hurt and the point of the entire movie is lost. Why is it I should just accept something on the basis thatthis was a adaptaion of it and the best they could do. With that logic I should accept Catwomen, Ghost Rider and all the other badly made comic films. Mind you I did not hate the movie, some parts where very well done. But it is everyones right to call a film out on missed chances.

People who know me know me as one cynical MF on these boards... the bottom line for me is... I just think you need a draw that line somewhere... what are you looking for in these films? What are your expectations? To me, a Watchmen film was never going to work. Or it would never live up to what it should have been. That's why I came down hard on this film. It ultimately failed to reach my expectations from the fans, critics, and people perceiving the film. It just comes down to what you are looking for.

If you guys just want to be entertainined for a few hours then many of these films work for you. But for me, if you do not give me a film that goes above and beyond, a film that pushes the boundaries, elevates the material or the genre... a film like TDK... only then will it be worthwhile. Otherwise don't even bother. I am not going to be Hollywood's dog on a leash where I am being dragged back to these adaptations, action franchise tentpoles, comicbook films, superhero films at every opportunity. Fox has pulled this stunt too many times... Sony pulled it with SM3... and in my gut, I feel WB jumped for a quick paycheck when they went with the guy who was certain to bring them money after 300. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"