• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

What do you think will be the next DC/WB movie franchise?

I am baffled by what is stopping WB and DC from making a Shazam ! animated movie using mo cap and CGI technology they used for making Beowulf (and Polar Express)

WB has made some CGI animated movies like Happy Feet and Ant Bully, similarly success for Pixar's Incredibles shows that people can go and watch a superhero based CGI movie then why can't WB make a Shazam (Captain Marvel ) movie featuring young Billy Batson ?

Pretty much every mo-cap animated movie released has been a flop or under performer. Add to the list of those two: a christmas carol and mars needs mom.

Pretty much every mo-cap animated movie released has been a flop or under performer. Add to the list of those two: a christmas carol and mars needs mom.

:huh:
Avatar? "The Polar Express"? Are you sure you mean every mo-cap film?

Avatar wasn't an animated film per se. It was never included in the animated categories. Pretty much all the zemeckis mo-cap films maybe aside from polar express under performed and mars needs moms was a huge failure.

Avatar wasn't an animated film per se. It was never included in the animated categories. Pretty much all the zemeckis mo-cap films maybe aside from polar express under performed and mars needs moms was a huge failure.

What kind of excuse is that? Motion capture films are not considered animation at all. You just said in you previous post that pretty much every mo-cap film has been a flops or under performers. You were not talking about animated films here. The truth of the matter is that is a false statement. "Avatar" (which was pretty much a motion capture film that had some live action scenes in it), "The Polar Express", "Monster House", even "The Adventures of Tin Tin" were great movies that performed well at the box office and were motion capture films. That is not to mention the integrated motion capture that was used in films like "I Robot", "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", and the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Furthermore, it's not like Robert Zemekis has to direct every motion capture Production.

I think DC should do a Wonder Woman movie, its about time. DC has a strong female character equal to Batman and Superman in fame, but they just don't use her. She should have her own movie, that would bring in more of the female viewers too. Her story is sort of hard to tell, but once you get it out there it would be easy. Think how the 1st Superman film told his origin.

Then I would also like to see a Flash movie, its easy enough. A CSI guy gets struck by lightning and chemicals and can run super fast. Its not too convoluted or anything.
Not as much to tell as the GL movie, or even the Superman movie.

I'd also love to see a SHAZAM movie. a young boy becomes a Superman type. That would be awesome. little kids would LOVE it, and it would be a large epic wonderful wholesome movie.

I'd also like to see an Aquaman movie, he is a King of Atlantis who also protects the surface people. It would be cool.

Ooooh! AND, and, a CGI (possibly motion capture) JLA movie with a large awesome cast. You could get big starts with great voices who may not even look like the characters or are "too old" to play the part. Jolie or Bellucci as Wonder Woman, Bale could play Batman (or someone else), or you could go the Pixar rout and cast voice actors instead. The characters for CG film could be as stylized or realistic as they want. Look to Tin Tin, Incredibles, and Final Fantasy for that.

Last edited:
WB Animation should make the plunge into CGI animation and join alongside Pixar and Dreamworks.

Green Lantern TAS seems like their first foray into CGI. Now that I've brought that up, would you guys rather see TAS for your favorite characters or a big blockbuster movie?

I wouldn't mind seeing a Flash or Wonder Woman TAS without having a movie for either character. TAS gives you more bang for the buck, since you get more stories, and something to look forward to every week. The other thing is that you won't risk the big stink coming from a flop (Green Lantern or Batman and Robin). Even though "The Batman" and "LoSh" (wasn't a big fan of this one) weren't that great, they didn't bring their respective franchises down or anything.

Superman and Batman are both coming soon. Then World's Finest maybe, and if you're really lucky a JL film. Then maybe a DCCU reboot of the franchises.

Superman and Batman are both coming soon. Then World's Finest maybe, and if you're really lucky a JL film. Then maybe a DCCU reboot of the franchises.

If WB does a team film, whch I hope they do, it will be JL and not WF.

The whole point of a team film is to use Batman to try to salvage the floundering Superman franchise and to also use Batman to launch new franchises like Flash and WW.

Bang for the buck, it's a no brainer. WB does JL.

Man of Steel will do just fine on it's own as long as they move it to late July. WB just don't have the competence and since GL, the confidence, to do a shared universe. If, if, there is a Justice League film, it will be the final instalment of Superman and Batman franchises, or a franchise that is standalone to independent franchises.

Man of Steel will do just fine on it's own as long as they move it to late July. WB just don't have the competence and since GL, the confidence, to do a shared universe. If, if, there is a Justice League film, it will be the final instalment of Superman and Batman franchises, or a franchise that is standalone to independent franchises.

I think you make my point about the weakness of the Superman franchise.

First it was moved from 12/12 to 06/14/13 because fears were it wouldn't fare well against the December 12 competition. And you are saying it should be moved from 06/14/13 to late July to do OK?

Doesn't sound like you have much confidence in the MOS. You are not alone in that.

Last edited:
I think what they will do as far as Wonder Woman, The Flash, and future GL films is they will do a JL film and then give them their own spinoffs (of course, depending on the success of the film), along with doing sequels to JL. That way they can have multiple successful franchises going on at the same time. I'm not necessarily too happy with that approach because that means the portrayal of the characters in their seperate films/franchises will probably be limited to however the portrayal/story of their roles in JL will be. And we've all seen that just because a film is successful doesn't necessarily mean that it's great.

I also think that in addition to a new Batman franchise, we will see spinoffs from that as well, i.e. Nightwing, Birds of Prey just to name some possible examples.

I think it would be great if they had a main, big name producer to produce the JL film and all the following spin-offs so that continuity can be at least somewhat protected. J.J. Abrams has my vote for it.

gb-plas-ww.jpg

New Line/WB is just itching for another Mask-type flick.

I'm sure Flash will be next.

WW maybe eventually, the others, not likely unless Superman does a billion dollars or something...

That reminds me of when they were really trying to give Plas a movie in the 90's. I kinda don't have any hope in ever seeing one though.

With how disappointing GL turned out (even the first draft was better) I don't see WB ever really investing not only big money like they can but also the proper care that these adaptations would need all around. Outside of just 2 of the JL big 7 their quality control track record is not impressive.

The fact that they axed a JLA movie by George ****ing Miller who say what you want is a master of memorable epic action cinema because they had no faith in their ROI tells me they don't give a damn. Yes it went overbudget but if they really believed in what could be achieved they would've pulled through with it cause they have $ & insurance to cover an epic financial loss.

People just think of the casting superficially and forget about movie magic and how this man understands the cinematic language & could make it believable. He was enthusiastic about bringing that to life unlike say Martin Campbell on GL who did a good job considering his circumstances but still.

That right there told me to never count on a JL let alone other superhero DC movies at all from these guys especially after how mishandled the GL project ended up being.

Even TV a series starring Plas could be awesome but they wouldn't even give it the proper budget and quality production team. Look what they recently did with a WW tv series attempt.

Look at the Green Arrow series which could be so much more being treated and given the care of a Smallville surrogate instead. Cause WB's tv production division has no faith in that being capable of being more. It is what it is. At least they gave the GL TAS to Bruce Timm that was a good call. WB clearly has other priorities outside of DC and we all know that when it comes to DC it's Superman and Batman sadly cause they're the bread & butter.

Supermax would've been cool. :(

That one also had one of their go-to guys right now (Goyer) writing the story and very enthusiastic about going nuts with it. Ironically it could've possibly been the gateway to a more unified DC movie universe that people clamor for. That's what Goyer seemed to have in mind anyway. Shame it fell through but not a surprise.

If they couldn't even go with that one which wouldn't have cost much and again had their favorite superhero adaptation writer attached I don't see a Plastic Man or even Swamp Thing movie ever happening. If they couldn't even go through with a Flash movie also written by Goyer years ago & botched the potential of a GL movie franchise I don't see how they'll even look elsewhere.

Right now I think the only thing that would get them enthused is great business for MOS. I mean like really leaving SR money behind business and not making $50 million more than SR or something like that. It's that and seeing how Marvel's vision paid off if The Avengers hits hard with the money it brings. Otherwise get ready for more big budget Batman when it comes to the big screen. Not a bad thing but disappointing that other characters will never get a real shot.

Last edited:
I could see a Swamp Thing or Vertigo-esque movie being made purely because WB actually seems to be fine bankrolling non-superhero comic book adaptations.

I hope so. I hope the fact that it's back to being fantastical DC labeled fare doesn't make them perceive it as "superhero". That could dissuade them from ever giving that property another shot thinking it should cost so much money to make with their ignorance.

That's something that definitely needs a horror/sci-fi treatment that will cost millions. Does not have to be in the fantasy/action range of a $200 million budget either though. The type of gargantuan budget that DC based WB properties outside of Batman always manage to completely misuse.

The fact that they axed a JLA movie by George ****ing Miller who say what you want is a master of memorable epic action cinema because they had no faith in their ROI tells me they don't give a damn. Yes it went overbudget but if they really believed in what could be achieved they would've pulled through with it cause they have $ & insurance to cover an epic financial loss.

As I recall, timeframe wise, BATMAN BEGINS had performed okay, and SUPERMAN RETURNS had underperformed. IRON MAN and THE DARK KNIGHT hadn't cleaned up yet. It was a legitimate concern on WB's part.

That one also had one of their go-to guys right now (Goyer) writing the story and very enthusiastic about going nuts with it.

Wasn't it Goyer's protege Justin Marks that wrote the script? The SUPERMAX script was pretty meh. It would have been fun in places, but Green Arrow deserves better

Wasn't it Goyer's protege Justin Marks that wrote the script? The SUPERMAX script was pretty meh. It would have been fun in places, but Green Arrow deserves better

Yeah you're right I completely forgot about that guy cause Goyer was the one talking about the concepts for the story in articles I read. But yeah he was also the same guy that pitched a new He-Men movie at some point. I never did get to read that script but a lot of the ideas that were talked about sounded cool and worthy of a hero like GA.

I think you make my point about the weakness of the Superman franchise.

First it was moved from 12/12 to 06/14/13 because fears were it wouldn't fare well against the December 12 competition. And you are saying it should be moved from 06/14/13 to late July to do OK?

Doesn't sound like you have much confidence in the MOS. You are not alone in that.

I think the movie itself will be fine. But I can only see it making Batman Begins numbers, which might not be enough to warrant a sequel. Superhero flicks tend not to do as well as they should in June which is usually dominated by kid's movies.

Yeah you're right I completely forgot about that guy cause Goyer was the one talking about the concepts for the story in articles I read. But yeah he was also the same guy that pitched a new He-Men movie at some point. I never did get to read that script but a lot of the ideas that were talked about sounded cool and worthy of a hero like GA.

He'd written scripts for Masters of the Universe, Voltron and Thundercats, among others, none of them real memorable. The ideas for SUPERMAX were decent, and had already worked well in the comics. In general, the script was not executed well. Not well written.

He'd written scripts for Masters of the Universe, Voltron and Thundercats, among others, none of them real memorable. The ideas for SUPERMAX were decent, and had already worked well in the comics. In general, the script was not executed well. Not well written.

I trust your judgement so I won't even bother tracking down those scripts and wasting time reading them.

SUPERMAX is probably the best of the bunch, but it's all just very...generic. He takes the BATMAN BEGINS straight Hero Quest approach to almost everything. Origin story with a mentor, non-linear, big buildup to the heroic parts, but it's not executed nearly as well.

Yeah, I actually don't blame WB at all for passing on it. But the concept itself was awesome. It's just a shame it didn't have an equally impressive script.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"