What does the Hype have against female heroes?

lazur

Superhero
Joined
Apr 16, 2004
Messages
6,190
Reaction score
4
Points
31
Not to bash the Hype, God knows I love it, but I have to ask - what's up with the obvious lack of boards for female heroes? What about Wonder Woman, Supergirl, Catwoman and Elektra, for starters?

I mean, we have a board for James Bond for crying out loud (not even a super hero), but not for Wonder Woman, which, as it's already been confirmed, Joss Whedon is making with Kate Beckinsale as the front runner for the role? And what about Supergirl? I just heard that Mischa Barton is the front runner for that - not to mention that the same criteria which resulted in Superman having a forum of his own (having a major motion picture made at some point in the past), Supergirl somehow doesn't qualify? What, was Helen Slater's portrayal a dream or something? Granted, it wasn't the best movie. Okay, well it sucked. Still, it was a major motion picture and, just as Superman, LONG before Superman Returns was even a pipe dream, qualified for a forum on the merits of its Reeve movies, so too should Supergirl.

What about movies that have ALREADY been made, such as Elektra and Catwoman? Speaking of which, where's the Daredevil board, now that I think of it.

Not trying to pick a fight here, or piss anyone off, but these are more than just "what ifs" - these are projects that either are happening or have already happened. Let's show the proper respect for them and put up their own forums so we're not stuck talking about them on some 'general' board where they wind up fifth page news in the chaos of real "what if" posts.

Thanks!
 
Mirko has already said there'll be a board for Wonder Woman when the movie takes more of a shape. Right now the script is even done. I imagine the same holds for a Supergirl board.

I'm pretty sure there were boards for Catwoman, Daredevil and Elektra. However, when the hype down from their respective movies, those characters didn't merit separate boards. The traffic just wasn't there. It's the same reason the Constantine board came down and why the V For Vendetta board will come down in a few months.

I believe that holding a board means that it's either a mainstay character that draws much attention or a property with a definitive film in the works.
 
Mister J said:
Mirko has already said there'll be a board for Wonder Woman when the movie takes more of a shape. Right now the script is even done. I imagine the same holds for a Supergirl board.

I'm pretty sure there were boards for Catwoman, Daredevil and Elektra. However, when the hype down from their respective movies, those characters didn't merit separate boards. The traffic just wasn't there. It's the same reason the Constantine board came down and why the V For Vendetta board will come down in a few months.

I believe that holding a board means that it's either a mainstay character that draws much attention or a property with a definitive film in the works.

Yeah, but the same criteria which resulted in Superman getting a forum isn't true for Supergirl? You really don't think that Supergirl warrants a separate board?

And what 'source' is considered when looking at Wonder Woman? I've heard the script IS finished and that they're scouting for a lead actress. If you look on IMDB, it shows the movie as 'announced'. Even Lindsay Lohan said in a recent interview they're looking for an actress and she wants the job. What more is required, a signed letter by the director to SHH? Just curious :).

On a side note - maybe these boards would attract more women if we put up and kept up some boards dedicated to their gender. Ya never know.
 
Superman is one of the most iconic characters around. There are tons of his stories of his that stem from comics, TV shows, past movies and serials and the like. I think it would be a given that he, Batman and Spider-Man have enough fans and varied media representation to practically guarantee an active presence in a forum. I love the Supergirl character, in all of her incarnations, but I'd see that forum being pretty empty until something concrete takes form. There was one movie over 20 years ago and the character hasn't had nearly the same public attention as Supes.

I'm not certain on the requirements to get a board. I think that when a film gets an actual cast and confirmed shooting dates is when it's to be taken seriously. I've heard of a number of proposed films that fell apart even after they had directors and a lead attached. I think in the meanwhile, separate threads could probably accomodate them. It's the same for the proposed projects featuring The Flash and Luke Cage.

You may well have a point about attracting more women here (and God knows we could use it :o). I'm not opposed to a board for Wonder Woman, Supergirl or any other recognizable superheroine. I'm just giving a guess based on who does have a board and how long it's stayed.
 
Okay,Superman, Batman and Spider-Man will always have forums...they're the most iconic characters in comics and comic film. Let's understand that right now.

As for female heroes getting forums....they do...when they have a movie in development. Wonder Woman will get one soon....Catwoman and Elektra had one. If you're asking why they aren't here anymore, that's easy:

THEY BOMBED.

The Catwoman and Elektra forums dies out because the movies were failures, and their respective studios said there would be no sequels to them. On top of that, the forum activity wasn't there to justify keeping the forum open.

In the case of Elektra, the forum pretty much just died. The people who were supporting it were left with no leg to stand on, and walked away from the forum, and the people who hated on it had no reason to show up, other than to brag about how they were right.

Catwoman's forum was filled to the brim with people that hated the project. The film was a failure before it even began, and it was hounded and hated upon from the beginning. The only reason that forum lived as long as it did was simply because the fact that so many friendships were born there, and so many of the "haturs" continued to populate the forums, even after the film's embarassing failure. The forum was closed when the "haturs" moved on to discuss other things in other forums, and the need for the forum was gone.

The question shouldn't be "what doe sthe hype have against female heroes, but moreso, "What does Hollywood have against female heroes".

When Hollywood sees a movie with a female lead, they instantly use her sexuality to sell the movie....and then they don't develop the character beyond that. Look at Catwoman. No character or plot....but they had Halle's boobies out there, boy howdy! :rolleyes:

That's the problem....Hoolywood needs to get people in charge who will make a good movie, and then let the character of the heroine appeal to the audience instead of just her "assets".

In the
 
We have nothing against female superheroes, and yes there were boards for Catwoman and Elektra. Wonder Woman, Supergirl (will this even get made?) and other heroes will get boards when they receive the green light from the studio.
 
I just want to know what does the Hype have against BLACK Panther?

(As if I didn't know!)
 
lazur said:
I mean, we have a board for James Bond for crying out loud (not even a super hero), but not for Wonder Woman, which, as it's already been confirmed, Joss Whedon is making with Kate Beckinsale as the front runner for the role? And what about Supergirl? I just heard that Mischa Barton is the front runner for that - not to mention that the same criteria which resulted in Superman having a forum of his own (having a major motion picture made at some point in the past), Supergirl somehow doesn't qualify? What, was Helen Slater's portrayal a dream or something? Granted, it wasn't the best movie. Okay, well it sucked. Still, it was a major motion picture and, just as Superman, LONG before Superman Returns was even a pipe dream, qualified for a forum on the merits of its Reeve movies, so too should Supergirl.

The Supergirl movie is just an idea, like Zatanna, Green Lantern and many other movies.

I honestly don't know why we got a James Bond forum.

And Kate Beckinsale is not the forerunner for Wonder Woman. Morena Baccarin is.
 
Female hero movies stink. Sorry.....but that's been the truth.

Supergirl
Red Sonja
Elektra
Catwoman
Aeon Sucks
Ultra Violet


They all stink.

Even TV females stink. "Birds of Prey" anyone???
 
You forgot Aliens - one of the greatest sci-fi/horror film series to ever exist. :o
 
raybia said:
I just want to know what does the Hype have against BLACK Panther?

(As if I didn't know!)

Who hates the Panther? :confused:
 
CConn said:
You forgot Aliens - one of the greatest sci-fi/horror film series to ever exist. :o



Not a comic book hero. Truth be known.........the monsters helped quite a bit.
 
shinlyle said:
The question shouldn't be "what doe sthe hype have against female heroes, but moreso, "What does Hollywood have against female heroes".

When Hollywood sees a movie with a female lead, they instantly use her sexuality to sell the movie....and then they don't develop the character beyond that. Look at Catwoman. No character or plot....but they had Halle's boobies out there, boy howdy! :rolleyes:

That's the problem....Hoolywood needs to get people in charge who will make a good movie, and then let the character of the heroine appeal to the audience instead of just her "assets".

In the
Agreed. Hollywood has done a poor job of Executing the notion of a strong Female heroic Figure. They just overemphasize their sexuality pointlessly and/or they just make fun of the notion of Female Superhero by adding too much camp, thus the film won't be taken seriously.
 
Wait... there are female superheroes?
 
Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton, and Carrie Fisher have one thing in common, believable well written roles acted by great actresses.
 
There were boards for Elektra and Catwoman. They died just like the movies did at the BO.

All the threads were merged with pre-existing forums.

Maybe there would be more boards for female super heroes if, well let's be honest, the movies based on them didn't suck so bad :) .
 
female superhero movies all fail....

It worries me that Wonder Woman will have the same fate if its ever made.
 
Even when the director of a female superhero movie is female, it still sucks. Go figure that one. We just don't want to see them kicking butt, we want to see them as the love interest. That's just how it is.
 
marcvader said:
Sigourney Weaver, Linda Hamilton, and Carrie Fisher have one thing in common, believable well written roles acted by great actresses.
Agreed wholeheartedly :up:.
Now if Whedon can pull that off with Wonder Woman (and if I can manage to overcome my growing dislike for how he seems to treat WW and her history), it might be pretty good.
 
Spike_x1 said:
Agreed wholeheartedly :up:.
Now if Whedon can pull that off with Wonder Woman (and if I can manage to overcome my growing dislike for how he seems to treat WW and her history), it might be pretty good.

My confidence in Wedon's Wonder Woman project is almost zero. Frankly I believe this movie won't perform well at the box office.
 
The porblem is that most of the female heroes mentioned are just copies of more well known like Supergirl. If Supergirl is just a female Superman clone why would anyone want to see a movie with her. Others like Catwoman and Elektra are villains/anti heroes with heavy links to the heroes they fight, so when you put them in their own movie without the heroes they play off of, they fall flat. Really only Wonder Woman isn't either of those two things, which is why she is the only one with a chance at getting her own movie.
 
The Overlord said:
The porblem is that most of the female heroes mentioned are just copies of more well known like Supergirl. If Supergirl is just a female Superman clone why would anyone want to see a movie with her.
****.
The Overlord said:
Others like Catwoman and Elektra are villains/anti heroes with heavy links to the heroes they fight, so when you put them in their own movie without the heroes they play off of, they fall flat.
Come on, both of their movies were simply horribly made. You can't tell me it's the character who's to blame for Pitof's ineptitude. Hell, the movie wasn't even based on the character - they just took the character's name and reinvented it in an utterly horrible manner. And I'm sure the somewhat of the same goes for Elektra, and the slouch who directed it.
 
superheroe females are just seen as sex symbols in tight costumes on the big screen.

truth be told they aren't taken that seriously EVEN FOR this genre by the main film watching peeps.
 
CConn said:
****.
Come on, both of their movies were simply horribly made. You can't tell me it's the character who's to blame for Pitof's ineptitude. Hell, the movie wasn't even based on the character - they just took the character's name and reinvented it in an utterly horrible manner. And I'm sure the somewhat of the same goes for Elektra, and the slouch who directed it.

Elektra and Catwoman were created to be supporting characters for DD and Batman and that's how they work best, you take them away from the heroes they have a long history with and they fall flat.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"