What studio is going to launch a major solo female superhero from the ground up?

Tony Stark

Armored Avenger!
Reaction score
Let's face it folks, Warner took the easy way out with Wonder Woman. If any female character could launch their own franchise without having to be "introduced" in some other franchise, it was Wonder Woman.

So is there a female superhero who would, or could be launched as a solo film on their own?

BTW Sue Storm doesn't count, as she was launched as part of a team. Neither does Jean Grey or Storm. I'm talking about a solitary solo female Superhero film that isn't introduced from another film. No spinoffs like Elektra or Catwoman. (Supergirl was also somewhat of a spinoff, although this might be the closest we'll ever get).

I think Captain Marvel's an interesting case because on the basis of her origin, it could be "launched" (read: marketed) as a male superhero movie with some big name actor playing Mar-Vell, and then they pull the rug out from under the audience in the 2nd half when Carol - the assumed "love interest" - inherits his powers. Obviously, fans would see this coming, but from a marketing standpoint, it would be Marvel's way of having their cake and eating it too. They don't have to deal with the "risk" of marketing a female superhero solo film and they still get the credit for launching one.

That said, if they do go with Captain Marvel, I'd really like to see them put Carol front and center in the marketing. BUT, at this point, I'll take a Danvers movie any way I can get it. :(

I'm betting on Marvel.

They can afford to take more chances.

Exhibit A: raccoon with a plasma rifle riding a talking tree

The only scenario I could imagine would be introducing She-Hulk prior to an Avengers movie, although even that seems unlikely. Ms. Marvel and Wasp seem destined for the group films.

Given Marvel's trouble getting a solo Hulk film to take off, I think the chances of them taking a shot at She-Hulk anytime soon are slim to none.

I don't think WB is too big on taking risks with these properties. Given that Marvel was willing to try Guardians of the Galaxy, I don't know why they would/should be so afraid of a female property, if they have one they want to launch that they don't happen to introduce in a prior Avengers film. As for which...people seem to be betting on Captain Marvel, and it's possible she won't show up in Avengers first.

Does Black Widow count? I guess not, since she's been in Iron Man 2, Avengers, Captain America 2.

I'm guessing Marvel. :b Unless we get a Catwoman solo!

I'm betting on Marvel.

We've had talking CGI creatures as side characters in movies for decades. It's not a big deal. Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Planet of the Apes, all say hello. Even the television show Once Upon a Time had a talking grasshopper.

If Lucy is a hit. I can see Black Widow getting a solo movie

I'm betting on Marvel.

Green Lantern had a Bird-Fish (Tomar Re) and Kilowog before Raccoon and Tree.

Im betting on Marvel too. Not because they're revolutionary, doing things that people think are brand new and never before done but because they have a bigger catalog of solo heroines than most other studios and a more regular output of superhero movies

Its a bit of an unfair question, since its increasingly questionable to say that Marvel Studios introduces *anybody* "straight up". Even characters who don't start off in somebody else's movie draw upon setting elements from prior movies.

That said, a possible candidate: Jessica Jones. We don't yet know much about how the Netflix shows will interconnect, but its entirely possible as of yet that she won't appear in Daredevil before appearing in her own show.

Wait a tick, Catwoman wasn't a spin-off as It didn't spin-off from any Batman continuity, she wasn't a continuation of the same character in another movie so that movie was the first from the ground up female superhero movie. So WB was the first.

That said, a possible candidate: Jessica Jones. We don't yet know much about how the Netflix shows will interconnect, but its entirely possible as of yet that she won't appear in Daredevil before appearing in her own show.

If TV shows count, then DC won way back in the '70s with Wonder Woman. Unless characters established in separate universes (Super Friends) don't count, in which case there's no way the new Wonder Woman could have been from the ground up.

Wait a tick, Catwoman wasn't a spin-off as It didn't spin-off from any Batman continuity, she wasn't a continuation of the same character in another movie so that movie was the first from the ground up female superhero movie. So WB was the first.

Yeah that one is on the fence. You're right that the Catwoman in that film, was an entirely new creation. Unfortunately that wasn't a good thing, but point taken.

Its a bit of an unfair question, since its increasingly questionable to say that Marvel Studios introduces *anybody* "straight up". Even characters who don't start off in somebody else's movie draw upon setting elements from prior movies.

This is a good point too. In this regards, I definitely think Supergirl would count to make it fair.

To clarify, the shared universe thing, I don't think would be an issue. It's more the idea of introducing a character on screen in one film, and then giving them a solo movie based on the success of the other. So a solo Wonder Woman film with Gal Gadot, wouldn't count, and neither would a solo Black Widow film.

A solo Captain Marvel film in the MCU would count, and so would a solo Zatanna film that takes place in DC's shared universe.

I'd be up for a Zatanna solo film, but I can't say I see it happening anytime soon. She'll probably just be in Justice League Dark/Constantine.

Marvel might do Spider-Woman in her own film. That would be a giant middle finger to Sony lol.

Hmm, I was assuming we only cared about the modern age of CBMs, so. . .

Which, hmm. My own benchmarks for the eras:

-First Age of CBMs: initiated by Superman, the Movie

-Second Age of CBMs: initiated by X-Men ( Blade is an honorary member )

-Third Age of CBMs: initiated by Iron Man ( Batman Begins is an honorary member )

Marvel might do Spider-Woman in her own film. That would be a giant middle finger to Sony lol.

A Spider-Woman film would excite me!

But I want to see a Ms. Marvel solo film first. After that Spider-Woman then She-Hulk.

A Spider-Woman film would excite me!

But I want to see a Ms. Marvel solo film first. After that Spider-Woman then She-Hulk.

But that wouldn't really be "ground up". I can't see Ms. Marvel coming before Captain Marvel. Although I guess She-Hulk could be introduced in her own movie, and have Banner as a side character

eh, Ms Marvel and Captain Marvel could easily happen all in one film
but it would still be Carol's film, so it would totally count

I would have Carol Danvers be the main character but Mar-Vell be a heavy supporting character. Kind of like Tony and Pepper or whatever love interest...just that Mar-Vell will also kick a lot of ass

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"