What studio is going to launch a major solo female superhero from the ground up?

Hmm, I was assuming we only cared about the modern age of CBMs, so. . .

Which, hmm. My own benchmarks for the eras:

-First Age of CBMs: initiated by Superman, the Movie

-Second Age of CBMs: initiated by X-Men ( Blade is an honorary member )

-Third Age of CBMs: initiated by Iron Man ( Batman Begins is an honorary member )

I believe TDK along with Iron Man marked the Third Age. They were both released in 2008.

A Spider-Woman film would excite me!

But I want to see a Ms. Marvel solo film first. After that Spider-Woman then She-Hulk.

This gives me an idea.

An entire team of Marvel superheroes comprised of women.

That would be revolutionary considering all that is marketed to little girls are dolls that look like prostitutes and neon ponies.

But that wouldn't really be "ground up". I can't see Ms. Marvel coming before Captain Marvel. Although I guess She-Hulk could be introduced in her own movie, and have Banner as a side character

I don't read the comics for Ms. marvel but could anyone tell me, what is the difference between Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel and why people prefer Captain Marvel over Ms. Marvel to be featured in a solo film? I always got the impression that Ms. Marvel is more popular because she appeared in cartoons and videogames.

I would love that. Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, She Hulk, Black Widow, Elektra, also include Fox's Invisible Woman and Storm or Jean Grey or Rogue. But I don't see it happening.

Last edited:
Hmm, I was assuming we only cared about the modern age of CBMs, so. . .

Which, hmm. My own benchmarks for the eras:

-First Age of CBMs: initiated by Superman, the Movie

-Second Age of CBMs: initiated by X-Men ( Blade is an honorary member )

-Third Age of CBMs: initiated by Iron Man ( Batman Begins is an honorary member )

I wouldn't really count the first age entirely as it never ventured beyond Batman and Superman. Surely they deserve credit for being the first but it's not really an age IMO . The second age and third age ventured into different heroes

I don't read the comics for Ms. marvel but could anyone tell me, what is the difference between Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel and why people prefer Captain Marvel over Ms. Marvel to be featured in a solo film? I always got the impression that Ms. Marvel is more popular because she appeared in cartoons and videogames.

The female Captain Marvel that might get her own movie is Ms. Marvel. It's just a different name as she replaced the previous (male) Captain Marvel in that role. There was some discussion on whether the male Captain Marvel (aka Mar-Vell) should get a movie first since she gets her powers from him in the comics.

Last edited:
I wouldn't really count the first age entirely as it never ventured beyond Batman and Superman. Surely they deserve credit for being the first but it's not really an age IMO . The second age and third age ventured into different heroes

Yeah the first age didn't have much variety but it still needs to be acknowledged as the early age of CBMs, before the golden age started.

Kids should know the full history, so they can appreciate the current age.

This gives me an idea.

That would be revolutionary considering all that is marketed to little girls are dolls that look like prostitutes and neon ponies.

They have that
It's called the newest volume of (adjectiveless) X-Men (Vol. IV, I believe)

unless you're referring to the films, in which case I think you got a bit of a wait

Yeah the first age didn't have much variety but it still needs to be acknowledged as the early age of CBMs, before the golden age started.

Kids should know the full history, so they can appreciate the current age.

Well, the first full length superhero movie was Superman and the Mole Men in 1951 (there was a Captain Marvel serial back in 1941). I'm not sure about comics in general.

You guys think the failure of all female-led superhero movies thus far is the reason there hasn't been any other since?

People seem to want a female-led superhero movie again in recent months.

There are reports we may be getting that or an anti-hero female-led movie, people are angry about it.

Typical :doh:

Last edited:
You guys think the failure of all female-led superhero movies thus far is the reason there hasn't been any other since?

That's part of it, the other part is that there are no big name female superheros who aren't a part of a team.

Hmmm. Can't actually think of Many. Quasar comes to mind.

She was in Guardians of the Galaxy.

But there aren't many male heroes that have not been a part of a team either. Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Batman, Superman, Green Lantern...all in teams.

Thanks for the spoiler. Not seeing it til Friday

Can't people spoiler tag thing for at least a week :(

It still hasn't released in some countries

Thanks for the spoiler. Not seeing it til Friday

Can't people spoiler tag thing for at least a week :(

It still hasn't released in some countries

I was talking about the comics.

She was in the 2008 revival.

Oh sorry my bad :doh:

Last I read GOTG she was on the team for a short bit but I think she left. It's been a few years though can't recall fully

Last edited:
Hmmm. Can't actually think of Many. Quasar comes to mind.

guardians-of-the-galaxy-korath-the-pursuer-02.png

Who?

She was in Guardians of the Galaxy.

But there aren't many male heroes that have not been a part of a team either. Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Batman, Superman, Green Lantern...all in teams.

All of them can have big solo histories. It's not like Jean Grey who was always an X-men, Invisible Woman who was always a F4 member, Black Cat, Ms. marvel, and Wasp, who started off as a Spider-Man/Captain Marvel/Ant-Man supporting character (and honestly those three aren't that popular anyways).

Phyla-Vell badass lady who wielded the Quantum Bands and became Quasar

Phyla_quasar.jpg

She's Gay too. Would add some nice diversity

Last edited:
GA didn't know who the Guardians were or numerous others. That the job of the studios to market the movie to get their interest

Point is, the GA doesn't know who she is.
GA didn't know who the Guardians were or numerous others. That the job of the studios to market the movie to get their interest

It's not just about popularity beforehand vs studio marketing. The question is does the concept rock? Is it likely to be popular based on what people like and what's missing in the market?

Because most people enjoy seeing males experience the male power fantasy, and few people enjoy seeing women experience the male power fantasy. It's really that simple. This results in the following symptoms, one you alluded to:

1) Critical and commercial failure, even when the studio does it's job and puts great passionate talent on it, giving the impression that a good one can't be made, except possibly by a select few superstar filmmakers.
2) More success for male-led action films with similar budgets and less talented actors/filmmakers, making them a better investment due to market bias.

This gives me an idea.

To be fair, half of them actually are neon ponies.

I think that's the ticket though. I did have an idea not unlike this involving Captain Marvel, Spectrum, Jessica Drew, Patsy Walker and a couple others. Throwing Phyla-Vell and She-Hulk in there would be fun too. A sort of female Avengers thing. At the time I tied all their origins to the Kree along with Carol, but perhaps something slightly different could be done. It's a hard story to tell without being corny because it's so obviously a female Avengers. I would try to break it in though, make it work. I think there's something there.

It's more possible though, that a small studio will make a Lucy or something like that that will be a major superheroine. DC and Marvel know/feel their male superheroes are their cash cows.

Last edited:
. . .I really don't want to see the Phyla-Vell Quasar. Everything I've read of her makes her look like the female cosmic version of Peter Petrelli: incompetent with her powers, and absolutely terrible at decision-making.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"