What does your name mean?

terry78

My name is Stefan, sweet thang
Reaction score
www.behindthename.com

- TERENCE

Usage: English

Pronounced: TER-ents [key]
From the Roman family name Terentius which is of unknown meaning. Famous bearers of this name include Publius Terentius Afer, a Roman playwright, and Marcus Terentius Varro, a Roman scholar.

So your name means nothing?

Basically. Which is pretty deep when you think about it. Read, my brother.

- SupermanBeyond

Pronounced: Soup-err-Man-Bee-Ond
Concept of German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, Uber-Mensch or English: Over-man. Beyond, an Album from Dinosaur Jr. [or] a play on Batman Beyond, an Animated Television Series based on a Future Version of Batman.

ROBERT

Usage: English, French, Scandinavian, German, Czech, Polish, Russian, Slovene, Romanian

Other Scripts: Роберт (Russian)

Pronounced: RAH-burt (English), ro-BER (French), RO-bert (German), RAW-bert (Polish), RO-byert (Russian) [key]
Means "bright fame", derived from the Germanic elements hrod "fame" and beraht "bright". The Normans introduced this name to Britain. It belonged to three kings of Scotland, including Robert the Bruce who restored the independence of Scotland from England in the 14th century. The author Robert Browning and poets Robert Burns and Robert Frost are famous literary bearers of this name. Also, Robert E. Lee was the commander of the Confederate army during the American Civil War.

CHRISTOPHER

Pronounced: KRIS-to-fur [key]

Means "bearing Christ", derived from Late Greek Χριστος (Christos) combined with φερω (phero) "to bear, to carry". Christopher was the legendary saint who carried the young Jesus across a river. He is the patron saint of travellers. Another famous bearer was Christopher Columbus, the explorer who reached the West Indies in the 15th century.

JAMES

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: JAYMZ [key]

English form of the Late Latin Jacomus which was derived from Ιακωβος (Iakobos), the New Testament Greek form of יַעֲקֹב (Ya'aqov) (see JACOB). This is the name of two apostles in the New Testament. The first was Saint James the Greater, the apostle John's brother, who was beheaded by Herod Agrippa in the Book of Acts. The second was James the Lesser, son of Alphaeus. Another James (known as James the Just) is also mentioned in the Bible as being the brother of Jesus.
Kings of England and Scotland have borne this name. Other famous bearers include the inventor of the steam engine James Watt, the explorer Captain James Cook, and the novelist and poet James Joyce.

I'm the brother of Jesus

ADAM

Usage: English, French, German, Polish, Russian, Ukrainian, Romanian, Jewish, Biblical

Other Scripts: אָדָם (Hebrew), Адам (Russian, Ukrainian)

Pronounced: A-dam (English), AH-dahm (German, Polish), ah-DAHM (Russian) [key]

This is the Hebrew word for "man". It could be ultimately derived from Hebrew אדם ('adam) meaning "to be red", referring to the ruddy colour of human skin, or from Assyrian adamu meaning "to make". According to Genesis in the Old Testament Adam was created from the earth by God (there is a word play on Hebrew אֲדָמָה ('adamah) "earth"). He and Eve were supposedly the first humans, living happily in the Garden of Eden until Adam ate a forbidden fruit given to him by Eve.

MICHAEL

Usage: English, German, Czech, Biblical

Pronounced: MIE-kul (English), MI-khah-el (German) [key]

From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mikha'el) which meant "who is like God?". This is the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers.
This was the name of nine Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Other more modern bearers of this name include the 19th-century chemist/physicist Michael Faraday and basketball player Michael Jordan.

Yeah, sounds about right :)

I find it interesting that all three of my names (first, middle, last) are back to back, just not in order.

DENNIS
Latin form of DIONYSIOS. This was the name of several early saints including a 3rd-century pope.

The boy's name Dennis \d(en)-nis\ is pronounced DEN-iss. It is of Greek and English origin, and its meaning is "follower of Dionysius". Also variant of Dionysius. Mythology: Dionysius is the Greek god of wine, responsible for the growth of the vines in spring and the originator of winemaking; he is equivalent to the Roman god Bacchus.

MICHAEL

Usage: English, German, Czech, Biblical

Pronounced: MIE-kul (English), MI-khah-el (German) [key]

From the Hebrew name מִיכָאֵל (Mikha'el) which meant "who is like God?". This is the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers.
This was the name of nine Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Other more modern bearers of this name include the 19th-century chemist/physicist Michael Faraday and basketball player Michael Jordan.

Yeah, sounds about right :)

Don't forget about Micheal Jackson...

All yoruba names are actual words fused together...

mine means god gave us joy.

at least that's what my most prominent name means, i'm not going to go into the other four...

Hey...Mine are sort of cool...for a name commenly mistaken for "Beth".

SETH (1)

Usage: Biblical, English

Other Scripts: שֵׁת (Hebrew)

Pronounced: SETH [key]

Means "placed" or "appointed" in Hebrew. In the Old Testament he was the third son of Adam and Eve, and forefather of the entire human race.

SETH (2)

Usage: Egyptian Mythology (Hellenized)

Pronounced: SET, SAYT [key]

From Σεθως (Sethos), the Greek form of Egyptian Sutekh or Set, which possibly meant "pillar" or "dazzle". Seth was the evil Egyptian god of chaos and the desert, the slayer of Osiris. Orisis' son Horus eventually defeats Set and has him banished to the desert.

DREW
Pronounced: DROO
Short form of ANDREW

ANDREW
Pronounced: AN-droo
From the Greek name Ανδρεας (Andreas), which derives from ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος (andros) "of a man"). In the New Testament the apostle Andrew was the brother of the apostle Simon Peter. According to legend he was crucified on an X-shaped cross, and he is the patron saint of Scotland, Russia, Greece and Romania. This was also the name of kings of Hungary.

I find it interesting that all three of my names (first, middle, last) are back to back, just not in order.

On another interesting note, the post you made comes right before a guy who has my middle name. WIERD :wow:

ERIC

Usage: English, French

Pronounced: ER-ik (English), er-EEK (French) [key]

From the Old Norse name Eiríkr, derived from ei "ever" and ríkr "ruler". Danish invaders first brought the name to England. A famous bearer was Eiríkr inn Rauda (Eric the Red in English), a 10th-century navigator and explorer who discovered Greenland. This was also the name of kings of Denmark, Sweden and Norway.

PETER

Usage: English, German, Dutch, Scandinavian, Slovene, Slovak, Biblical

Pronounced: PEE-tur (English), PE-ter (German, Slovak), PAY-tur (Dutch) [key]

Derived from the Greek Πετρος (Petros) meaning "stone". This is a translation used in most versions of the New Testament of the name Cephas (meaning "stone" in Aramaic) which was given to the apostle Simon by Jesus (compare Matthew 16:18 and John 1:42). Simon Peter was the most prominent of the apostles during Jesus's ministry and is considered by some to be the first pope. This name was borne by Peter the Great, the czar of Russia who defeated Sweden in the Great Northern War in the 18th century. A famous fictional bearer is Peter Pan, the boy who refused to grow up in J. M. Barrie's play.

^Are you proud or ashamed of your Peter Pan reference?

I'm pretty sure it means "crown". Which I've interpreted to mean "princess" :p.

MATTHEW

Pronounced: MATH-yoo [key]
English form of Ματθαιος (Matthaios), which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name מַתִּתְיָהוּ (Mattityahu) which meant "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles, a tax collector. He was supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament.

A tax collector?! Yahweh?!

But seriously, I'm thinking of just spelling my name with how it's pronounced. MATH-yoo looks so much better.

SAMUEL

Usage: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, Biblical

Pronounced: SAM-yoo-el (English), SAM-yool (English) [key]
From the Hebrew name שְׁמוּאֵל (Shemu'el) which could mean either "name of God" or "God has heard". Samuel was the last of the ruling judges in the Old Testament. He anointed Saul to be the first king of Israel, and later anointed David. A famous bearer was the American author Samuel Clemens, who wrote under the pen name Mark Twain.

SPENCER

Pronounced: SPEN-sur [key]

From a surname which meant "dispenser of provisions" in Old French

aww f%ck...I'm a shopkeeper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"