What does your name mean?

Joshua
Masculine, Biblical
Hebrew for "Yaweh is salvaltion." Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. The name Jesus is derived from this name.

:up: :up:

CHRISTOPHER

Usage: English

Pronounced: KRIS-to-fur [key]

Means "bearing Christ", derived from Late Greek Χριστος (Christos) combined with φερω (phero) "to bear, to carry". Christopher was the legendary saint who carried the young Jesus across a river. He is the patron saint of travellers. Another famous bearer was Christopher Columbus, the explorer who reached the West Indies in the 15th century.

helll yeah ! i carry saints across the river like everyday . :up:

Name: Mark

Language: Other

Thematic: Biblical

Meaning: Warrior or Warlike; Defender or Defense

Comments: Latin; From the Roman God of War, Mars. The Latin surname of the author of the Gospel of Mark.

That explains a lot.

eugene[my middile name the one i prefer to use]
origin greek [according to wikipedia]
meaning noble

PABLO

Usage: Spanish

Pronounced: PAH-blo [key]
Spanish form of Paulus (see PAUL). Spanish painter and sculptor Pablo Picasso was a famous bearer of this name.

From the Roman family name Paulus, which meant "small" or "humble" in Latin. Saint Paul was an important leader of the early Christian church, his story told in Acts in the New Testament. He was originally named Saul, but changed his name after converting to Christianity. Most of the epistles in the New Testament were authored by him. This was also the name of six popes. Famous bearers of this name in the art world include Paul Cezanne and Paul Gauguin, both 19th-century impressionist painters from France.

:huh:

why, because im black?
ThatsRacist.gif

No. Cause Vladimir is a bad-ash name. It's the most un-GAH name ever.

ALICE

Usage: English, French, Portuguese

Pronounced: AL-is (English), a-LEES (French)

This is the name of the heroine of Lewis Carroll's 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' and 'Through the Looking Glass'.

Oh wow all I get it is something about Alice in Wonderland, like I dont know my name is used in that book. So no good meaning at all.

RYAN

Usage: Irish, English

Pronounced: RIE-an [key]

From an Irish surname which was derived from Ó Riain meaning "descendent of Rian". The given name Rian probably means "little king" (from Irish rí "king" combined with a diminutive suffix).

CAITLIN
Pronounced: KAYT-lin [key]
Anglicized form of CAITLÍN

CAITLÍN
Usage: Irish
Pronounced: KAHT-leen [key]
Irish form of Cateline, the Old French form of KATHERINE.

KATHERINE
Pronounced: KATH-u-rin, KATH-rin [key]
From the Greek name Αικατερινη (Aikaterine). The etymology is debated: it could derive from the earlier Greek name ‘Εκατερινη (Hekaterine), which came from ‘εκατερος (hekateros) "each of the two"; it could derive from the name of the goddess HECATE; it could be related to Greek αικια (aikia) "torture"; or it could be from a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". The Romans associated it with Greek καθαρος (katharos) "pure" and changed their spelling from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this.

The name belonged to a 4th-century saint and martyr from Alexandria who was tortured on the famous Catherine wheel. Another saint by this name was Catherine of Siena, a 14th-century mystic. This name was also borne by two empresses of Russia, including Catherine the Great, and by three of Henry VIII's wives.

JASON

Usage: English, Greek Mythology (Latinized), Biblical

Pronounced: JAY-sun (English)
From the Greek name Ιασων (Iason), which was derived from Greek ιασθαι (iasthai) "to heal". Jason was the leader of the Argonauts in Greek legend. He went in search of the Golden Fleece in order to win back his kingdom from his uncle Pelias. During his journeys he married the sorceress Medea, who helped him gain the fleece and kill his uncle, but who later turned against him when he fell in love with another woman. This name also appears in Acts in the New Testament.

DANIEL

Usage: English, Jewish, French, German, Scandinavian, Polish, Czech, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Biblical

Pronounced: DAN-yul (English), dah-nee-EL (Hebrew), dan-YEL (French), DAH-nee-el (German), DAHN-yel (Polish) [key]
From the Hebrew name דָנִיֵּאל (Daniyyel) meaning "God is my judge". Daniel was a Hebrew prophet whose story is told in the Book of Daniel in the Old Testament. He lived during the Jewish captivity in Babylon, where he served in the court of the king, rising to prominence by interpreting the king's dreams. The book also presents Daniel's four visions of the end of the world.

Famous bearers of this name include English author Daniel Defoe, Swiss mathematician Daniel Bernoulli, and American frontiersman Daniel Boone.

PhotoJones said:
Joshua
Masculine, Biblical
Hebrew for "Yahweh is salvaltion." Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. The name Jesus is derived from this name.
Same here. :D

First name...
KEVIN

Usage: English, Irish, French

Pronounced: KEV-in [key]
Anglicized form of the Irish name Caoimhín, derived from the older Irish Coemgen, composed of the Old Irish elements coem "kind, gentle, handsome" and gein "birth". Saint Caoimhín established a monastery in Glendalough, Ireland in the 6th century and is the patron saint of Dublin.

My middle name is DESHUN, which my family assures me is basically a differently-spelled version of...

DESHAUN

Usage: English (Modern)
Combination of the popular name prefix De and SHAUN.

SHAUN

Pronounced: SHAWN [key]
Anglicized form of SEÁN

SEÁN

Usage: Irish

Pronounced: SHAWN [key]
Irish form of JOHN

JOHN

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: JAHN [key]
English form of Iohannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek name Ιωαννης (Ioannes), itself derived from the Hebrew name יוֹחָנָן (Yochanan) meaning "YAHWEH is gracious". This name owes its consistent popularity to two New Testament characters, both highly revered as saints. The first was John the Baptist, the forerunner of Jesus Christ and a victim of beheading by Herod Antipas. The second was the apostle John, also supposedly the author of the fourth Gospel and Revelation.

The name has been borne by 21 popes and eight Byzantine emperors, as well as kings of England, France, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Portugal and Hungary. It was also borne by the poet John Milton and the philosopher John Locke.

-JOSHUA

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: JAH-shu-wa, JAW-shwa [key]

From the Hebrew name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ (Yehoshu'a) which meant "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. The name Jesus is derived from this name.

KYLE

Pronounced: KIE-ul

From a Scottish surname which was derived from Gaelic caol meaning "narrows, channel, strait".

Richard

Usage: English, French, German, Czech

Pronounced: RICH-ard (English), ree-SHAR (French), RIKH-ahrt (German)

Means "brave power", derived from the Germanic elements ric "power, rule" and hard "brave, hardy". The Normans introduced this name to Britain. It was borne by three kings of England including Richard the Lionheart, leader of the Third Crusade in the 12th century. Two German opera composers, Richard Wagner and Richard Strauss, have also had this name.

KENNETH

Usage: Scottish, English

Pronounced: KEN-eth [key]
Anglicized form of both COINNEACH and CINÁED. This name was borne by the Scottish king Kenneth (Cináed) mac Alpin, who united the Scots and Picts in the 9th century. Another famous bearer was Kenneth Grahame, the Scottish novelist who wrote 'The Wind in the Willows'.

thats right:up::word:

Micheal (Irish spelling, even though I'm not Irish)
He who is like the Lord.

My name is Darren, Which in Galic means Great, Then if Translated to Latin would become Magnus.

so Darren= Great=Magnus. so i got Magneto's name in a round about way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"