What does your name mean?

My name is Darren, Which in Galic means Great, Then if Translated to Latin would become Magnus.

so Darren= Great=Magnus. so i got Magneto's name in a round about way.
More like Ultra Magnus.

MARCUS

Usage: Ancient Roman, English, Biblical (Variant)

Pronounced: MAHR-kus (English) [key]

Roman praenomen, or given name, which was probably derived from the name of the Roman god MARS. Two famous Roman bearers of this name were Marcus Tullius Cicero (known simply as Cicero), a statesman and orator, and Marcus Aurelius, a notable emperor of the 2nd century. This was also the name of a pope of the 4th century. Marcus is the original form of the name Mark.

MATTHEW

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: MATH-yoo [key]
English form of Ματθαιος (Matthaios), which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name מַתִּתְיָהוּ (Mattityahu) which meant "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles, a tax collector. He was supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament.

A tax collector?! Yahweh?!

But seriously, I'm thinking of just spelling my name with how it's pronounced. MATH-yoo looks so much better.

You saved me some time so I don't have to do this myself. Thanks.

MATS

Usage: Swedish, Norwegian

Swedish and Norwegian form of MATTHEW

Dum-dum-dummm!

MANFRED

Usage: German, Dutch, Polish

Pronounced: MAHN-fret (German, Polish), MAHN-frut (Dutch) [key]

Derived from the Germanic elements magin "strength" and frid "peace". This is the name of the main character in Byron's drama 'Manfred'. This name was also borne by Manfred von Richthofen, the German pilot in World War I who was known as the Red Baron.

ISAAC

Usage: English, Jewish, Biblical

Pronounced: IE-zak (English) [key]

From the Hebrew name יִצְחָק (Yitzchaq) which meant "he laughs". Isaac in the Old Testament was the son of Abraham and the father of Esau and Jacob. Famous bearers of this name include the physicist and mathematician Sir Isaac Newton and the science-fiction writer Isaac Asimov.

JAMAHL (spelled Jamal on the site)

Usage: Arabic

Other Scripts: جمال (Arabic)

Means "beauty" in Arabic. Jamal al-Din al-Afghani was a political activist who promoted pan-Islamism in the 19th century.

I wasn't aware that jamal was also a female name.

APOLLO (using my user name) :yay:

From Greek Απολλων (Apollon), which is of unknown meaning, though perhaps related to Indo-European *apelo "strength". Another theory states that Apollo can be equated with Appaliunas, an Anatolian god whose name possibly means "father lion" or "father light". The Greeks later associated Apollo's name with the Greek verb απολλυμι (apollymi) meaning "to destroy". In Greek mythology Apollo was the son of Zeus and Leto and the twin of Artemis. He was the god of prophecy, medicine, music, art, law, beauty, and wisdom. Later he also became the god of the sun and light.

My name means in my native tongue in memory of the King.

APOLLO (using my user name) :yay:

From Greek Απολλων (Apollon), which is of unknown meaning, though perhaps related to Indo-European *apelo "strength". Another theory states that Apollo can be equated with Appaliunas, an Anatolian god whose name possibly means "father lion" or "father light". The Greeks later associated Apollo's name with the Greek verb απολλυμι (apollymi) meaning "to destroy". In Greek mythology Apollo was the son of Zeus and Leto and the twin of Artemis. He was the god of prophecy, medicine, music, art, law, beauty, and wisdom. Later he also became the god of the sun and light.
Is Apollo your real name?

AMIT (1)

Usage: Indian

Other Scripts: अमित (Hindi)

Means "immeasurable, infinite" in Sanskrit.

Kickass.
And even though i'm a hindu , i also like the hebrew meaning for amit :

AMIT (2)

Usage: Jewish

Other Scripts: עָמִית (Hebrew)

Pronounced: ah-MEET [key]

Means "friend" in Hebrew.

JOSHUA

Pronounced: JAH-shu-wa, JAW-shwa [key]

From the Hebrew name יְהוֹשֻׁעַ (Yehoshu'a) which meant "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. The name Jesus is derived from this name.

My name is too complicated for this crap. It's derived from too much Crap. I'll start first with the original.

MARIELLE

Usage: French

French pet form of MARIE

MARIE

Usage: French, Czech, German

Pronounced: ma-REE (French), mah-REE (German) [key]

French, Czech and German form of Maria (see MARY). A notable bearer of this name was Marie Antoinette, the queen of France who was executed by guillotine during the French Revolution. Another was Marie Curie, a physicist and chemist who studied radioactivity with her husband Pierre.

...So does this mean I'm destined to being beheaded? Because that gave me no definition of my name. :down

MARY

Pronounced: MER-ee [key]

Usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Μαριαμ (Mariam) or Μαρια (Maria) (the spellings are interchangeable), which were from the Hebrew name מִרְיָם (Miryam). The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry "beloved" or mr "love".
This is the name of several New Testament characters, most importantly Mary the virgin mother of Jesus, and Mary Magdalene. Two queens of England have had this name, as well as a Queen of Scotland, Mary Queen of Scots.

BRADLEY

Usage: English

Pronounced: BRAD-lee

From a surname which originally came from a place name that meant "broad clearing" in Old English. A famous bearer of the surname was the World War II American general Omar Bradley.

LINWOOD

Usage: English

Pronounced: LIN-wuwd [key]

From a surname which was originally from a place name meaning "stream forest" in Old English.

Bogdan, means "gift from god". It also means i better do something useful with my life...

My name is too complicated for this crap. It's derived from too much Crap. I'll start first with the original.

MARIELLE

Usage: French

French pet form of MARIE

MARIE

Usage: French, Czech, German

Pronounced: ma-REE (French), mah-REE (German) [key]

French, Czech and German form of Maria (see MARY). A notable bearer of this name was Marie Antoinette, the queen of France who was executed by guillotine during the French Revolution. Another was Marie Curie, a physicist and chemist who studied radioactivity with her husband Pierre.

...So does this mean I'm destined to being beheaded? Because that gave me no definition of my name. :down

MARY

Pronounced: MER-ee [key]

Usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Μαριαμ (Mariam) or Μαρια (Maria) (the spellings are interchangeable), which were from the Hebrew name מִרְיָם (Miryam). The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry "beloved" or mr "love".
This is the name of several New Testament characters, most importantly Mary the virgin mother of Jesus, and Mary Magdalene. Two queens of England have had this name, as well as a Queen of Scotland, Mary Queen of Scots.

No, it doesn't mean you're doomed to beheading. It means you're doomed to beheading OR dying a painful death from radiation poisoning. :o

No, it doesn't mean you're doomed to beheading. It means you're doomed to beheading OR dying a painful death from radiation poisoning. :o

Damnit! Why can't anything go right in my life?! :emo's: :( :o

The girl's name Rebecca \r(e)-bec-ca, reb(e)-cca\ is pronounced ree-BEK-ah. It is of Hebrew origin, and its meaning is "to bind". Biblical: Rebekah, noted in the Genesis account as a maiden of beauty, modesty, and kindness, became the wife of Abraham's son, Isaac. The name was used by the Puritans and was common through the 19th century. Use of the name in the novel and film "Rebecca" also revived it. Philanthropist Rebekah Harkness; author Rebecca West; actress Rebecca De Mornay.

Norman: From an old Germanic nickname meaning "northman", referring to a Viking. The Normans were Vikings who settled on the coast of France, in the region that became known as Normandy. They conquered England in the 11th century.

Bishop: Either from the English occupational surname, or else directly from the English word. It is ultimately derived from Greek επισκοπας (episkopas) "overseer".

So my name means Viking Overseer.

Kickass.

DAVID

Usage: English, Jewish, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Czech, Slovene, German, Scandinavian, Biblical

Other Scripts: דָוִד (Hebrew), Давид (Russian)

Pronounced: DAY-vid (English), dah-VEED (Hebrew), da-VEED (French), dah-VEET (Russian), DAH-fit (German) [key]
Possibly derived from Hebrew דוד (dvd) meaning "beloved". David was the second and greatest of the kings of Israel, ruling in the 10th century BC. Several stories about him are told in the Old Testament, including his defeat of Goliath, a giant Philistine. Jesus was supposedly descended from him.

Famous bearers of this name include the 5th-century patron saint of Wales, two kings of Scotland, empiricist philosopher David Hume, and explorer David Livingstone. This is also the name of the hero of Charles Dickens' semiautobiographical novel 'David Copperfield'.

ANTHONY
Gender: Masculine Usage: English Pronounced: AN-tho-nee, AN-to-nee [key]
From the Roman family name Antonius, which is of unknown Etruscan origin. It has been commonly (but incorrectly) associated with Greek ανθος (anthos) "flower", which resulted in the addition of the h in the 17th century. A notable bearer of the Roman name was Mark Antony (Marcus Antonius), the general who ruled the Roman Empire jointly with Augustus for a short time. When their relationship turned sour, he and his mistress Cleopatra were attacked and forced to commit suicide. Shakespeare's tragedy 'Antony and Cleopatra' is based on them. Other famous bearers include the 3rd-century Saint Anthony the Abbot, a hermit from Egypt who founded monasticism, and the 13th-century Saint Anthony of Padua, the patron saint of Portugal.

Josh is the name of a school shooter from 'Bang, Bang, You're Dead'. I once thought about shooting up my high school years ago, something I'm not proud of. Try to help teens like me survive high school now through various online sites and things. So, yeah- that's the origins of my name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"