What is the main reason WB don't proceed with MOS 2?

The current situation with Superman on the big screen makes me sad, I honestly hope that they aren't trying to scrub this iteration of Superman, I hope it's simply down to they've not found a director/script/story that their keen on giving the green light to.

Just give Superman the Thor treatment that he received in Ragnarok, he was given somewhat of a soft reboot within the MCU, they ignored/wrote out story elements from the first 2 films that they didn't like & got on with the film without getting overly bogged down with details of who, what, where & why.
The comparison actually really works. You’re right.

Not following up directly where MOS left off was a missed opportunity. Those last few scenes in MOS were a perfect set-up to go forward.

Not following up directly where MOS left off was a missed opportunity. Those last few scenes in MOS were a perfect set-up to go forward.
Which is why i am a huge advocate of MOS2 starting weeks after the ending of MOS. We can really explore the relationships of lois, clark, metropolis etc.

I'd support a prequel to BvS; it's not as if prequels can't work out (Wonder Woman), and it would be nice to see what happens between Superman and the government after the events of Zod etc whilst also teasing events unfolding in Gotham.

I totally agree.
Which is why i am a huge advocate of MOS2 starting weeks after the ending of MOS. We can really explore the relationships of lois, clark, metropolis etc.
I was thinking this the other day. But it gets too confusing to go back. I was thinking that we can achieve the same thing but having the movie follow JL.

We have a superman who died and had a second chance. His personality tone was perfect. So we can have a happy Superman who appreciates that he can save people. You can open up with a great save, like an intense train save or whatever. And then have Lex create Parasite, which works against him thematically.

yup, sounds good, i just like the idea of seeing how they handle clark in the office, post jl you can't really do that, unless you have 'i thought you were dead clark'.

I think a straight up MOS2 that doesn't mention what's come before hand, but on the same hand, doesn't contradict anything for the eagle eye.

You mean like how fan preconception or reception had no effect on Ghostbusters 2016 or the Last Jedi's or even Venom's box office...

Erm... you are asking me if the GB fans not showing up for the reboot ruined it? Nope... it just wasn't a good movie - too political and had bad reviews!

That venom and last jedi fans made it a hit..... nope. C'mon... Venom didn't have the best reviews, but word of mouth was strong.. Star Wars is star wars and although the next movie needs to be epic, it's going to make bank.

Sorry, i'm now totally lost at your point.

yup, sounds good, i just like the idea of seeing how they handle clark in the office, post jl you can't really do that, unless you have 'i thought you were dead clark'.

I think a straight up MOS2 that doesn't mention what's come before hand, but on the same hand, doesn't contradict anything for the eagle eye.
I would just do something quick. They could open with a 2 minute intro where Perry finds out that Clark is in the witness protection program. Story being that he was investigating some dangerous Gotham syndicate stuff when Doomsday showed up. Bruce gets Amanda to fix this all up.

GA doesn't really care. They just want to see Clark.

We all feel like we've turned a corner now. We're playing by the DC playbook, which is very different than the Marvel playbook. We are far less focused on a shared universe. We take it one movie at a time. Each movie is its own equation and own creative entity. If you had to say one thing about us, it's that it always has to be about the directors.

Hey guys, do you think this is a good news overall to Superman? Maybe this way some director can feel more attracted to the project, knowin WB will let him have his own vision

I think this brings hope for the Supes fans :o

I would just do something quick. They could open with a 2 minute intro where Perry finds out that Clark is in the witness protection program. Story being that he was investigating some dangerous Gotham syndicate stuff when Doomsday showed up. Bruce gets Amanda to fix this all up.

GA doesn't really care. They just want to see Clark.
Yeah - I agree! I like the idea he faked it - however - he went to the funeral - bit harsh on the family etc but I guess if we can accept a drum beating octopus

Hey guys, do you think this is a good news overall to Superman? Maybe this way some director can feel more attracted to the project, knowin WB will let him have his own vision

I think this brings hope for the Supes fans :o

No. The last Superman was the product of creative freedom and that ended up not working out the way wb wanted either. They aren’t gonna be doing much with the character anytime soon, it looks like.

I feel like all we will be seeing of him for the foreseeable future is maybe brief mentions and perhaps quick cameos of him flying off in the distance in news footage ( no need for an actor that way )

I really hope I'm wrong but the feeling I'm getting from wb is they are done with him on the big screen for a long while.

One perhaps smaller reason is contract negotiations. Higher pay, producer credit, and approval of director and script were supposedly the most recent terms to re-appear in a sequel. This seems to be a stumbling block in terms of moving forward but I hope WB comes to their senses and finds a way to make things work.

Can read more here: Let's Talk Superman, And The 'Aquaman Effect' - Revenge of The Fans

Last edited:
2nd perhaps larger reason I think is just the muddled mess that resulted from WB (since Nolan trilogy) trying to often overly complicate a film/push too much into 1 film, not trying to be original where it counts most (the 3rd act), and just not settling on their own approach after MoS but simply trying to cue in a formula that they think the audience likes as opposed to creating something for the audience to really like.

This can be traced all the way back to MoS. The Nolan trilogy it was trying to be. The freight train was beginning to get a-rolling with Marvel Studios Avengers coming together. WB was (and still does) develop films at a much slower pace. As the Nolan trilogy ended, only then did they get going again with a fresher/ modern approach after Superman Returns. It also took a while to get through post-production. Afterwards, they should've just taken this in stride and been more patient and focused on story first for a potential sequel that just so happens to involve Superman for a modern post-2010 generation.

Personally, I wish WB would've extended MoS into 2 films with perhaps some prequel shorts released on a streaming service (yeah, I know these weren't as common then but still one can wish) to really build a solid single story with a fluid storyarc that translates across films. The main issue I had with MoS is the wrap-up felt a bit too forced and I would've liked to see the looming threat of the Kryptonian menace extended out some more with perhaps a less cliche world destroying device they try to introduce...

The mano-a-mano fight Zach Snyder added in with General Zod though was a nice touch to give it an added visceral element that I felt worked well. The online reaction to casualties and so forth I think was just a social media pile-on effect mixed with preconceived notions on what superhero films needed to be as they were beginning to become more common back then with notions built up as a result. (Without getting into it one can easily see Zod appears when he's not expected to right in a populated area. Superman can't totally control him and they go out to space but it ends on the ground with a climactic finish to avoid more innocents getting hurt is how I saw it.).

Still, I would've given Clark Kent more time to develop into the character of Superman over the course of several films with a single storyarc as well as added layers of backstory through short films and other media formats to really build a solid foundation for the character's introduction as opposed to just being another "reboot" or another "version" that's short-lived until they decided to segue into WB/DC Phase 1 with BvS... They tried to beat Marvel to the punch with a massive movie lineup announcement with set dates that's since turned into a swirl of ever changing rumors. Superman is clearly the character who has gotten hurt the most through all of this.

Last edited:
What's going to suck is seeing shazam do well then having the suits at WB say, hey maybe we can make superman bright and lite hearted as well. Do you think the public would like that?
Fans reactions to that - eye rolls and throat punches directed @ wB while screaming you bloody idiots we have been begging for superman to be made that way.

If Shazam is a breakout hit, it's going to be tough justifying that particular version of Supes.

With Cap and potentially Shazam taking up that space of "jolly good" superhero, Supes may feel like one too many and derivative (ironically).

Nah, Shazam is basically a kid who looks like an adult Superhero, who was magically given his powers. Superman can still be shown as boy-scout who can occasionally have some lighter moments but mostly behaves like a mature Superhero, like Thor (in first two Thor movies).

In addition there are Sci-fi elements that distinguish Superman from Shazam and his alter-ego Clark Kent and his relationship with Lois Lane and other Daily Planet characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"