The Dark Knight Rises What is the OVERALL goal/theme?

GregComicFan

movie and comic buff
Reaction score
Hi,

I have read a lot of posts about "what will happen in Batman 3" and "where does Batman go from here".... and that got me thinking....

Nolan has a lot of things going on in BB and carried through to TDK.... Batman's anger over his parents death, Batman overcoming fear and becoming fear, gangsters versus freaks, Batman as a symbol of hope, Harvey Dent/White Knight-Batman/Dark Knight, escalation.... and so on and so on.

He's established a lot of on-going themes and arcs.

But what is THE MAIN ARC? I think if we boil down what is the main arc of BB and TDK, we will have a better idea for Batman 3.

And in my opinion, the main arc of BB and TDK is....

(drum roll please)

"Saving Gotham City"

Isn't that the ultimate goal?

Batman wants to save Gotham. Gordon wants to save Gotham. Harvey wanted to save Gotham. Rachel wanted to save Gotham. Ras Al Ghul wanted to save Gotham by purging it from existence. Joker wanted to save Gotham by revealing how evil its citizens were and to remake the criminal element. Alfred and Lucius help Batman because they want to save Gotham. Bruce's parents wanted to save Gotham.

Everybody wants to save (in their own way) Gotham City.

So shouldn't Batman 3's focus... be that? It seems to me that Batman 3, since it will probably be Nolan's last Bat-film, should end with Batman having successfully "saving" Gotham (in other words, the mob is dismantled, all freaks are behind bars, hope on the streets, and criminals running scared)

Thoughts?

It shouldn't end with a perfect Gotham...Thats just ridiculous and boring...But it should end with the point where Gotham knows it has someone watching over them and respects Batman. It should reach the point where all future criminals know that if they wanna try anything they'll have to deal with The Batman. Its not so much about destroying evil in Gotham as it is about the city's people having hope in my opinion.

Batman wondering whether he should step out of the shadows and play a larger role in managing the underworld and enforcing that the police and courts stay honest. Maybe the answer is more control and visibility, not less. Enter Bane, who has been doing this as the dictator of Santa Prisca for years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"