The Dark Knight Does anyone think that The Dark Knight doesn't feel like a "Batman" movie ?

LvtLeeTDK

Fullmetal Alchemist
Reaction score
1. Gotham:
Gotham City in Batman Begins is perfect, just perfect. The scenery, the atmosphere, the people, the criminals, everything is just outstanding. That's Gotham.

What do we got in TDK ? A fecking random big city, too clean and bright for my liking. That's not Gotham. Not sure why they change the city's tone.

2. Batman:

In Begins, Nolan really nailed Batman. He took what he'd learned from Ra's (make yourself more than just a man), he always scared the **** out of criminals before beating them. He was truly a dark, intimidating creature that scare the criminals. That's the best depiction of Comic Batman (feck you Ben Affleck) that I can ever asked. Even the voice was perfectly done.

In TDK, Batman's still good, but for me it was such a let down from Begins.

3. The production design.

In Begins, without seeing Batman, you can still feel that this is a Batman movie. Itbrilliantly captured the feel and atmosphere of Batman and his story, to an extend that I feeled like watching Batman Animated Series at some point. The film feels dark, creepy, haunting and mysterious.

TDK ? Not so much.

Dont get me wrong. TDK is my favorite CBM and one of the best films of 2000s. I just feel that it could have been much better in portraying Batman, Gotham and its atmosphere.

Does anyone feel like Batman 89 doesn't feel like a Batman movie? Isn't Batman supposed to be goofy? This one was quite serious. Why weren't there visible sound effects when Batman punched things? Isn't Gotham supposed to look like a real city? Why did it look like a gothic fever dream? And all of it took place at night too. Where was the daylight man!

Well, Begins wasn't goofy and all and it's the best depiction of Batman.

It feels like a different kind of Batman movie, but a Batman movie all the same.

1. Gotham:
Gotham City in Batman Begins is perfect, just perfect. The scenery, the atmosphere, the people, the criminals, everything is just outstanding. That's Gotham.

What do we got in TDK ? A fecking random big city, too clean and bright for my liking. That's not Gotham. Not sure why they change the city's tone.

Agreed that that was a change for the worse. It seemed to be so that the film and its characters could say Things have gotten a lot better and/or so that they could later emphasize, hyperbole but maybe believable, that Things got a lot worse. To me that feels pretty forced, that you have to eliminate a lot of grime we previously saw, to make the city feel like a normal city right around you, for it to feel more dramatic when the city is really under siege and out of control.
Yeah, usually a significant aspect of Gotham is that it isn't just like a real city, because it's not things can be more intense.

2. Batman:

In Begins, Nolan really nailed Batman. He took what he'd learned from Ra's (make yourself more than just a man), he always scared the **** out of criminals before beating them. He was truly a dark, intimidating creature that scare the criminals. That's the best depiction of Comic Batman (feck you Ben Affleck) that I can ever asked. Even the voice was perfectly done.

He didn't seem that different with the big exception that he seemed really eager to quit, that likewise felt an overly strong effort to put him a positive position and emphasize that he's done a lot of good in order to make his difficulties later on feel a lot worse.

I did really feel that the abducting Lau sequence felt a little too James Bond, much too much focus on just the technology rather than intimidation or moody atmosphere.

I agree that Batman Begins is the best Nolan bat-flick. I think the best bat-flick overall though is Batman '89.

With The Dark Knight, it kinda made the central premise of a dude dressing up as a bat seem unbelievable in that world. They just wouldn't bother. They'd dress up as Tactical Suit Man though.

I'll keep saying this, but the more seriously you take Batman the sillier it gets.

I'll keep saying this, but the more seriously you take Batman the sillier it gets.

I think that's true. Once you start to break down and scrutinise the whole concept the ludicrousness of it starts to show. It's testament to the abilities of Nolan and his cast that they're able to present that ludicrous concept in a 'real world' setting and still for many of us make it credible, at least whilst we're watching.

1. Gotham:

2. Batman:

In Begins, without seeing Batman, you can still feel that this is a Batman movie. Itbrilliantly captured the feel and atmosphere of Batman and his story, to an extend that I feeled like watching Batman Animated Series at some point. The film feels dark, creepy, haunting and mysterious.

TDK ? Not so much.

Dont get me wrong. TDK is my favorite CBM and one of the best films of 2000s. I just feel that it could have been much better in portraying Batman, Gotham and its atmosphere.

1. That is Gotham. It was every bit Gotham City. This is fact, not opinion;

34fnwba.jpg

5d13ch.jpg

2z5mcco.jpg

213r4h.jpg

What you mean to say it was not your preference for Gotham.

2. He was every inch Batman. He had the criminals running scared "Nah man, I don't like it tonight". He had the mob so scared they had their meetings in daylight. The difference between BB and TDK Batman was something scarier than Batman came along; The Joker. Suddenly the criminals were more afraid to cross the Joker than Batman.

3. The production design is one of the best aspects of TDK. So good it won the Art Director's Guild award.

So to answer the question of your thread, no I don't think it doesn't feel like a Batman movie. It not only feels like one, it is the best one.

So to answer the question of your thread, no I don't think it doesn't feel like a Batman movie. It not only feels like one, it is the best one.

I'll drink to that.

1. Gotham:

2. Batman:

TDK ? Not so much.

I think TDK feels like a Batman movie. You can find issues that support the visual representation of Gotham in TDK and TDKR, but I just prefer the look of Gotham in Batman Begins.

I think TDK feels like a Batman movie. You can find issues that support the visual representation of Gotham in TDK and TDKR, but I just prefer the look of Gotham in Batman Begins.

Have to agree. For me that was the only minus point for TDK, that Gotham looked so different to the version shown in BB.

Have to agree. For me that was the only minus point for TDK, that Gotham looked so different to the version shown in BB.

If you look at the main parts of the city they aren't that different. The only real differences are the presence of the monorail (which you can still see in some wide shots in the other two films) and the Wayne Enterprises building. Begins mostly takes place in the Narrows, a small and isolated part of the city. Knight is mostly in the metropolitan, downtown areas of Gotham.

It feels like a Batman movie, but I understand what people mean when they find TDK Gotham rather character-less, generic. Even TDKR Gotham felt like it had more atmosphere, probably because of more older buildings captured on camera, classic interiors...

Ultimately, not a big issue for me. Give the film some time and it's buildings will probably look very old-fashioned, very 00s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"