What is your home town like?

Hobgoblin

Veritas veritatum
Reaction score
I live in a fairly typical moderately sized Midwestern town. Its a quiet, peaceful place with lots of schools, churches and banks. There is no central business, just a lot of retail stores. Its pretty conservative politically and the general feeling can be summed up as "Don't rock the boat."

The stability is a good thing and a bad thing. Its nice to know that no one will break into my home but there is a kind of Pleasantville/Stepford Wives feeling. People got upset a few years ago when the Gay Games had an event on my town's lake. They also had a small controversy when a Hooters restaurant opened. There was talk of a teen center, but people didnt want a gathering place for teenagers.

The whole feeling is like "Sit still and be good."

What is your town like?

It's a pretty busy area, Union/Florence Kentucky, it's about 10 minutes south of Cincinnati, so it's close to the city. I live on a busy street as well and just about every day I hear ambulances speeding off to wherever they are going. My dog howls every time because the sirens hurt her eardrums.

There's lots to do around here. You won't find a shortage of shopping outlets or restaurants. Or anything, really.

Fun fact: Josh Hutcherson of the The Hunger Games series is from this area. I know a teen girl who goes to school with his younger brother.

Last edited:
It's like New York City because it is New York City. I don't live there these days though. Too expensive.

Bigger than it should be, smaller than it think it is. It's a town swelling to capacity with a township of people that think they live in a rich community when really they float on a bubble of the oppressed.

But really, it's a nice place. Lots of hills.

It's quiet
One end of it has old houses, another is modern housing area
Between them a bunch of residential buildings, and a few buildings for different facilities

I'm from, and live in, Chicago.

The best part is the downtown area which we call The Loop; great sight-seeing, great food, etc. Yet when people usually talk about how great Chicago is, they're mainly talking about the Loop and ONLY the Loop.

The rest of the city is segregated as ****. And I hate to bring race into this, but whites mainly live in the North areas, like River North; and if you're black or hispanic, there's a chance that you live on the west side or the south side. Even though some areas have gotten better and more diverse like Hyde Park, the rest is just like one big ghetto.

And if you're not worried about getting robbed at gunpoint, you're worried about politicians raising taxes or parking fee just so they can add cameras at street lights in those rough areas. And I'm sure someone my disagree, but after being here for years this is what it looks like to me.

Unfortunately true. :/

[YT]pUIapa-U0bY[/YT]

Last edited:
I live in unincorporated Chicago. I personally love my neighborhood because of its convenience. There's a ton of restaurants, fast food chains, retail stores, banks, a shopping mall, a park, library all within a 5-10 minute walking distance. A big grocery store is being built right across the street from my complex right now. I work 4 minutes away from where I live. The L train is about a 10 minute walk from me.

Driving sucks. It's pretty much bumper to bumper all times of the day. That's why I walk or bike. Not to mention parking by my complex is a pain and once I get a decent spot I don't want to give it up especially with all the parking laws surrounding nearby streets. The neighborhood is also pretty diverse. There's a lot of theft. It's not the safest neighborhood. It's very obnoxious. When I take walks in the summer people are always shouting things at you.

But overall I can't complain.

I'm from Huddersfield in England, a large market town. There has been a market here since Saxon times, with a castle tower built to honour Queen Victorias 60th Jubilee overlooking from a hill. Huddersfield was central to the industrial revolution as well as the luddite movement and was the birthplace of Rugby League.. We are apparently even mentioned in the Doomsday Book...

It is a town that thinks it is a city and we are often claimed to the biggest town in Europe although I don't think that is true. It has mainly Victorian architecture in the town center with lots of listed buildings and the surrounding boroughs, featuring both new and old builds, forming the greater Huddersfield area. It's very hilly so we are not prone to flooding like some areas in England, in fact we have a broadcasting tower that is the 25th tallest tower in the world.

The town council try to play it up as a place of culture holding annual events such as the Festival of Light and Rock/Pop concerts and Proms nights, the Caribbean Carnival as well as the annual Zombie Walk.. There are lots of shops and restaurants as well as several local parks but unfortunately there is not a lot to actually do - one cinema and one bowling alley about 30 mins walk outside the town center is about as good as it gets (although we are easily linked to entertainment places outside of our town). We have a lot of bars and a large student population too so nightlife is always busy/good.

It is mostly a nice place to live, in terms to people (although there are a lot of 'Hoodie' types), especially if you live in one of the nice surrounding areas but as with most places there are what have become known as 'bad areas' with lots of crime and theft. We have had a fair share of shootings outside nightclubs and whatnot but I go out all the time and have never seen or had any trouble.

The nephew of legendary british wrestler Big Daddy is from here and plays Rugby for Huddersfield and England. British prime minister Harold Wilson was from Huddersfield as well as the awesome Patrick Stewart, who is also the chancellor of the university so people who attend there get to meet him when they graduate.

I live in a village in the south of Norway. We have a store and a train station (Only reason we're on the map) Not much to do here other than soccer and maby shooting. (Did both when I was younger) I wonder what would have happend if I did't grow up in the age of the internet. :p

I live in London. It's expensive city but there is always something to do and ethnically and culturally very diverse.

I've lived in East, North and South London.

Some areas of London are overcrowded other parts of London feel like small towns or villages within the city itself.

The first rule of being a Londoner is never talk or make eye contact with anyone on the tube (subway) :funny:

Night buses in London are full of drunk and crazy people.
I'm from, and live in, Chicago.

The rest of the city is segregated as ****. And I hate to bring race into this, but whites mainly live in the North areas, like River North; and if you're black or hispanic, there's a chance that you live on the west side or the south side. Even though some areas have gotten better and more diverse like Hyde Park, the rest is just like one big ghetto.
I didn't know Chicago was that segregated

What is your town like?

I mean no disrespect Hobgoblin but I couldn't stand to live in a place like that personally.

Gary hasn't improved since the Jacksons.

I live in Medway, Kent, England. Like most places it has it's good areas and it's bad areas, but in the few streets around my house, I'd say it's all right to go out at night without any fear. There doesn't seem to be much to do around here, but that might be because I don't really look for it. I'm pretty lucky in that we seem to have one of the few comic book shops in England here, but their selection is a bit limited and they never have any action figures or collectibles, which is a bit of a bummer. We also have quite a bit of history going on around here, with a number of castles around here, as well as some places with strong links to Charles Dickens. We've got some open spaces and countryside nearby as well, and some of the riverside areas can be pretty fun to explore. Overall, it's kinda meh, but there are worse places to live.

I mean no disrespect Hobgoblin but I couldn't stand to live in a place like that personally.

None taken. Its a great place to retire or raise a family but if you are young, single or think outside the box, you'll be bored to death.

I live in a fairly typical moderately sized Midwestern town. Its a quiet, peaceful place with lots of schools, churches and banks. There is no central business, just a lot of retail stores. Its pretty conservative politically and the general feeling can be summed up as "Don't rock the boat."

The stability is a good thing and a bad thing. Its nice to know that no one will break into my home but there is a kind of Pleasantville/Stepford Wives feeling. People got upset a few years ago when the Gay Games had an event on my town's lake. They also had a small controversy when a Hooters restaurant opened. There was talk of a teen center, but people didnt want a gathering place for teenagers.

What is your town like?

Good knows what would happen at a teen center. There might be like, hand holding or even worse, hugging!:wow:

Good knows what would happen at a teen center. There might be like, hand holding or even worse, hugging!:wow:

The horror...

Cheapness is part of it. Raising taxes is a big no no.

I'm from Miami Florida. Born and raised. I live in a suburb known as Fontainebleau. Lived there most my life. What can I say about my hometown? Its filled with Cubans, everyone is rude and most people don't speak English.

I'm from Miami Florida. Born and raised. I live in a suburb known as Fontainebleau. Lived there most my life. What can I say about my hometown? Its filled with Cubans, everyone is rude and most people don't speak English.
doesn't sound like you like the place much
I live in Medway, Kent, England. Like most places it has it's good areas and it's bad areas, but in the few streets around my house, I'd say it's all right to go out at night without any fear. There doesn't seem to be much to do around here, but that might be because I don't really look for it. I'm pretty lucky in that we seem to have one of the few comic book shops in England here, but their selection is a bit limited and they never have any action figures or collectibles, which is a bit of a bummer. We also have quite a bit of history going on around here, with a number of castles around here, as well as some places with strong links to Charles Dickens. We've got some open spaces and countryside nearby as well, and some of the riverside areas can be pretty fun to explore. Overall, it's kinda meh, but there are worse places to live.
There are about 4 comic shops where I used to live.

I've seen atleast 3 comic stores go out of bussiness in the last 6 years sadly and only one new store.

I guess Kent Comics is a bit too far from you. Its closer to south london than mid Kent

doesn't sound like you like the place much

There are about 4 comic shops where I used to live.

I've seen atleast 3 comic stores go out of bussiness in the last 6 years sadly and only one new store.

I guess Kent Comics is a bit too far from you. Its closer to south london than mid Kent

Yeah, that does seem kinda far from me. We also had a second comic shop nearby, but that was only open for a little while and closed down a few years ago.

My hometown is a strange one. Little place called Minehead, Southwest UK.

It's a seaside town, with a Butlins holiday resort, which means a lot of loud and obnoxious tourists. Also get a strange mix of people from all over the country and elsewhere in europe move to the area to work at the resort, and stick around even after.

It's also surrounded by a lot of little country villages, and exmoor national park, so there are lots of hills and forests. You know you're coming home when you can smell cow poo in the air :funny: as there are lots of farms around.

A lot of elderly residents, and old people's homes because of the scenery. We also have a special school for young adults with downsyndrome and other learning difficulties where they learn to work in kitchens and things, and they all live at various sites around the town and go on to get local jobs.

There's not much too do. We have no cinema, other than an old theatre that occasionally shows movies but is mostly for school plays. Tonnes of charity shops and souvenier shops and barely any high street names.

We have one 'club' that's just a lloyds bar, and that's it in terms of nightlife. Do have about 15 pubs though :hehe:

In my opinion there is a high volume of addicts and drunks, mainly due to the lack of anything else to do. Like most places, plenty of chavs and hoodies, and a big group of hobos that tend to sleep and drink in the local park.

Can't tell you how glad I am I left. There's a general mentality of misery and moaning, and small issues become huge and overblown. Any events local people/businesses try to put on often flop because people are just generally apathetic and don't wanna try new things. All set in their ways.

Where I live now in Bristol is so much more alive. The street I live on is full of nightclubs and pubs, there are constantly art/music/hipster type events going on, and there is just a much happier vibe. I often walk down the street and have strangers smile and say hello just to be cheerful :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"