What makes America right?

The Democrat

Sidekick
Reaction score
Why are we the good guys? What is your answer to this. What makes us the good guys as a general rule?

Watch Team America....it shall provide all the answers you may need. Seriously, I think because we have the whole, "we're the most advanced, prosperous superpower" thing going, we just have a very get-the-job-done type of attitude about everything.

neither of those answer the question though. I'm asking a serious question. What makes America right? What allows us to walk the moral high ground?

There is nothing wrong with america that cannot be fixed with what is right in america-bill clinton.

Well we are not right in the world right now. Just cause we have a way of living, doesn't mean we sould tell others how to live. We can be to cowboy like at times. I love this country, but it is far from fully free, Reilgion still has to much power, gay people can't get married, and we have no real chioce if we want to go to war or not. I think that is peoples problem, they think we are always right. But Vietnam and Iraq I don't think we where right on, and it is not are job to tell all the other countries what to do with there countries.

Spider-Nerd said:
There is nothing wrong with america that cannot be fixed with what is right in america-bill clinton.
It's easy to quote someone but I'm asking the question: What makes us right? Why can we strut around on the moral high ground?

I happen to agree with that particular quote but it doesn't answer the question.

What gives America the right to police the world?

America is not right, nor wrong. We are the same as every country is this world.

V1P3Rt3Ch said:
America is not right, nor wrong. We are the same as every country is this world.

try convincing some people of that.

V1P3Rt3Ch said:
Very nice, you didn't answer the question. What gives America the right to police the world? Why do we hold the moral high ground?

It shouldn't be this hard to answer. If we can invade countries at will then there must be a reason. Saddam Hussein was a bad man. Why though do we have the right to make the decision on whether he stayed or left? The question isn't this so don't answer it I'm not intrested in it. I'm interested in the question of: What makes America right?

Doomed_hero said:
Well we are not right in the world right now. Just cause we have a way of living, doesn't mean we sould tell others how to live. We can be to cowboy like at times. I love this country, but it is far from fully free, Reilgion still has to much power, gay people can't get married, and we have no real chioce if we want to go to war or not. I think that is peoples problem, they think we are always right. But Vietnam and Iraq I don't think we where right on, and it is not are job to tell all the other countries what to do with there countries.
I firmly believe that we have a way of living that should be spread through out the world. We should be adapting democracy to fit the Middle East mentality. Freedom comes in small doses. I'm not saying that we need to export our foolish culture, they have always been smarter culturally I'm saying we need to spread freedom.

....because of history, this "aspect" has been transmitted through generations and partly due to high social solidarity.

Ya, but I don't belive in going into other countries and saying ,"Get rid of your WMD and act like America", seeing how we keeps WMD are self.

Doomed_hero said:
Ya, but I don't belive in going into other countries and saying ,"Get rid of your WMD and act like America", seeing how we keeps WMD are self.
Thats because you have no clue whats going on. There are reasons countries cant have WMDs. Take North Korea for instance, they signed the NPT, the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. They are not allowed to own nukes. Under the NPT only 5 nations are allowed to have nukes, they are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPT
The Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) is a treaty, opened for signature on July 1, 1968, to which the vast majority of states (189) are parties, restricting the possession of nuclear weapons to the US (signed 1968), UK (1968), France (1992), Soviet Union (1968), and People's Republic of China (1992) (the five states which possessed nuclear weapons when the treaty was adopted, which are also the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council.) Russia has since replaced the Soviet Union as one of the five original signatories. These 5 NWS (Nuclear Weapons States) agree not to transfer nuclear weapons technology to other states, and the non-NWS state parties agree not to seek to develop nuclear weapons.
Iraq, Iran, etc have also signed the treaty. They are not allowed to have nukes.

Iraq also signed a disarmament treaty after losing the first gulf war, which required them to disarm.

Iraq lost
USA won
Iraq had to sign a disarmament treaty
The USA didnt

Therfore USA could have WMD's, and Iraq couldnt. Dont like it? Tough ****.

Well thats great, so we are just hypicrites then. And North Korea does have Nukes.

How are we hypocrites?

And yes, we know North Korea has nukes, and the U.N is too pansie to do anything about it. Once again its up to the USA to keep up the rule of law.

And foreigners wonder why we police the world... its because no one else will.

Its a tough job, but somebody's gotta do it.

Even with treaties, just the fact that we keep Nukes but go around the world and say we "we can have them but you can't" seems hypocritical to me.

Fred_Fury said:
Thats because you have no clue whats going on. There are reasons countries cant have WMDs. Take North Korea for instance, they signed the NPT, the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty. They are not allowed to own nukes. Under the NPT only 5 nations are allowed to have nukes, they are:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPT

Iraq, Iran, etc have also signed the treaty. They are not allowed to have nukes.

Iraq also signed a disarmament treaty after losing the first gulf war, which required them to disarm.

Iraq lost
USA won
Iraq had to sign a disarmament treaty
The USA didnt

Therfore USA could have WMD's, and Iraq couldnt. Dont like it? Tough ****.
First off everytime you respond you give the right wing a bad name. Secondly I'm sure that Doomed_Hero understands the treaties but since when has that stopped anybody (namely America) from breaking them in their own self-intrest. Thirdly you still haven't answered the question. What makes America right?

Paradoxium said:
....because of history, this "aspect" has been transmitted through generations and partly due to high social solidarity.
That certainly is how the impression came about but its a small part of the answer. Think about it. What makes America right? Why do we hold the moral high ground? What makes us think we can do whatever the hell we want?

USA is right because we do what is right. We fight the commies, the nazis, the terrorists. USA is a free democratic nation. We dont murder 80 million of our own people like the commies, we dont try to take over our neighbors and **** like the nazis, we dont target civilians and murder those who are not the same faith as us as the terrorists do. We believe everyone has the god given right to freedom as is stated in the constitution. We believe all men are created equal.

If you dont think freedom, democracy, and equality are right, then you are wrong.

Fred_Fury said:
USA is right because we do what is right. We fight the commies, the nazis, the terrorists. USA is a free democratic nation. We dont murder 80 million of our own people like the commies, we dont try to take over our neighbors and **** like the nazis, we dont target civilians and murder those who are not the same faith as us as the terrorists do. We believe everyone has the god given right to freedom as is stated in the constitution.

If you dont think freedom and democracy are right then you are wrong.
First what is wrong with the commies and Nazis and how do you define terrorists? Secondly if your so free try shouting "Theatre" in a crowded fire--Abbie Hoffman. Your right instead we focus on killing millions abroad. Yet we retain our morality? Why? Thirdly you've got to be kidding me, we daily try to take over our neighbors. We don't target civilians so its coincedence that 3,000 civilians have died in Iraq? We don't murder people of other faiths, anymore. I never said that I didn't think that freedom and democracy weren't right. I never said anything about freedom and democracy. So your answer is essentially that we kill the people who kill the people?

If you dont see anything wrong with the commies and nazis, you obviously dont understand the concept of freedom and democracy.

We believe Freedom and Democracy isnt a priviledge, its a god given right. And it just so happens that most of the world agrees with us. Thats what makes us right. Foreign dictatorships and the like who oppress their citizens are bad. We no like them. They must change.

No, we dont target civilians. If we did, the number of civilian casualties in Iraq would be around 13,000,000 not 3,000 thats for damn sure. If the USA took up the tactics of terrorists, all Iraqis would be dead or converted.

and yes, we kill people who kill people. Is there something wrong with that? Are you some kind of naive pacifist? If someone tried to kill you, and the cops shot him, would you be mad at the cops? Snap out of your naive pacifist dream and wake the hell up and smell the freaking coffee.

Fred_Fury said:
If you dont see anything wrong with the commies and nazis, you obviously dont understand the concept of freedom and democracy.

We believe Freedom and Democracy isnt a priviledge, its a god given right. Thats what makes us right. Foreign dictatorships and the like who oppress their citizens are bad. We no like them. They must change.

No, we dont target civilians. If we did, the number of civilian casualties in Iraq would be around 3,000,000 not 3,000 thats for damn sure. If the USA took up the tactics of terrorists, all Iraqis would be dead or converted.

and yes, we kill people who kill people. Is there something wrong with that? Are you some kind of naive pacifist?
Ok explain this to me like I'm a three year old. What is wrong with commies and Nazis? I understand freedom and Democracy and I don't agree with Commies and Nazis I just don't get what makes you think that our opposition to them years ago makes us right today?

We do target civilians. We carpet bomb, we call our bombs precise yet they only strike with in a mile of an area. It is a functional targeting of civilians.

There is something wrong with that. It's not moral. I'm not a niave pacifist, far from a pacifist. Life just isn't stark black and whites as your foolish mind seems to think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"