What makes America right?

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by The Democrat, Oct 20, 2004.

1. TheCheshireCat Registered

How so? We still feel we're a "city on a hill". Sounds the same to me.

2. Fred_Fury Registered

Is something wrong with being, or at least trying to be, the shining city upon a hill?

3. The Democrat Registered

No!

4. maxwell's demon Registered

what makes america right?

fred.

fred fury does.

5. Fred_Fury Registered

Right is right.

Left is wrong.

6. The Democrat Registered

What about Strike Hard?

7. maxwell's demon Registered

robot programming command: line number 00450040302.

8. maxwell's demon Registered

robot programming command: line number 00450040302b.

9. The Democrat Registered

I think you've successfully proven the opposite.

10. LordSimen Registered

People like Fred make me feel ashamed for being Republican...

Fred... Just be quiet, your "Anti-American" crap is getting old. They are just as american as anyone (cept for those who arn't American, in which case they arn't Anti-American, they're just foreign. No problem with that.)

11. The Democrat Registered

See this is how republicans should be. Normal. Not freakin' nuts like Fred_Fury. I can have a real discussion with someone like you.

12. LordSimen Registered

What can I say, every side of every issue has it's insane radicals. Unfortunatly, they're usually the ones who end up on the news, just so the other side can bash them. Oh well. Happens to both sides, and is done by both sides. Probably won't change any time soon, might as well accept it.

13. The Democrat Registered

I think I embraced it. I agree^

14. LordSimen Registered

And onto the issue of the topic...

I must say there really is NOTHING that says we are right or wrong. Every person believes a different thing, and every person acts differently.

If person one believes that Tacos are delicious.
    Then person two thinks they are disgusting, and prefers Burritos, it doesn't necessarily mean his opinion is any more right then person number one.

But why do we THINK we are right? Because it's in human nature. Religions and Nations alike all think they are right, and all think that "Good" is on their side.

In World War 2, we believed we had the side of good and God on our side (or some supreme being), and that we would prevail over the evil. In Germany, the Nazis believed they were on the side of good and were doing Gods will. Were they right or wrong? In my belief, the Nazis were the bad guys. But that doesn't neccessarily mean I am right.

There's a counter to every arguement.

Nothing is ever black and white, the world is Grey. This discussion is more of a philisophical question than a political question, and honestly I'm no Philisoph, so I couldn't answer the question any better than anyone else can.

(Excuse me if I typod... It'd Midnight and I'm tired.)

15. douglas Registered

The U.S. is without a doubt the strongest country in the world. Since we've become so powerful from our associations with other countries, we should do what we can to help out people around the world when they need us. Everyone admits Saddam was a bad man, and that anyone giving safe haven to Al Queda (sp) should be punished, so it really was a good thing that we did something to them. Good idea, poor execution is how I see our actions after 9/11. Yes, there are other nations that need help too, such as Sudan and many others. Unfortunately we can only do so much at one time, even with the resources we have available.

People can say we should just keep our noses out of it and not spread our way of life. That's true, but what about spreading the idea of being free? Shouldn't everyone be able to have the choices that we have? What we're trying (or should be trying in my eyes) is to give people that have been oppressed the chance to do what they want to do. Get rid of the leaders who are only there for their own selfish reasons and don't give their people a chance to choose who they want to lead. And while doing this, hopefully it can help to offset the oppressing that we have done in the past during the creation of our own country.

16. bluejake01 Registered

How exactly does one give choice through force? We will force you to be free?

17. Nitehawk013 Registered

Choice through force was saying " we see million suffering under a dictator. Therefore, we will use force to get rid of him and his regime to let those people find freedom" It is letting them choose there leadership and government by eliminating the boot that held them down.

18. bluejake01 Registered

Any freedom not earned shall not be appreciated. it is up to oppressed people to stand up and change from the inside. History teaches us this, experience is far more powerful than self righteous crusading.

19. douglas Registered

True, but there are people who have revolted and gotten help from another country. For example, France gave us a hand when we were fighting England. There were people in Iraq and Afghanistan that were opposed to the leaderships there and we helped out. It just so happens we can offer a hell of a lot more help military-wise than anyone else in history.

20. Nitehawk013 Registered

I can somewhat agree with you there. This isn't the revolutionary war though. We earned ours, but Iraq is unable to. Fact is they have seen hundreds of thousands of there own killed for having the nerve to stand up for what they want instead of what Sadam commanded. They lost the courage to stand up on there own. Too many innocents were eliminated for wanting freedom, so they submitted to living under the boot. That is why we HAD to step in. Iraqis had broken spirits and no hope of freedom. We gave it to them by getting rid of the man who would kill them in cold blood for daring to dream of free society. Regardless of what CBS and CNN tell you, I have seen and heard from planty of Iraqis who have embraced America and are full of life now that they have a chance at freedom. The vast majority of Iraq is not trying to throw us out, rather they are supporting us. That is what makes us, America, right. the fact that we have enough honor and respect for freedom to take it to people who could never get it on there own

21. Phaser Intellectual

Oh really? You really think Iraqis are truly appreciating what the U.S has done for them? The vast majority are supporting you or are they supporting the insurgents? What number of Iraqi's have you been hearing from? Is it more than half the country? You absolutely, positively how no idea of how the U.S is viewed by an average Iraqi (or any Middle Eastern for that matter) now, do you?

22. douglas Registered

He would if he were a soldier and served over there. I've heard from more than one soldier who said there have been Iraqis that are very happy we've done what we've done. Is it the majority? I have no idea.

23. Phaser Intellectual

Well, what else do you expect them to do? You think that Iraqi people would actually praise the insurgents or show their hatred of America in front of U.S soldiers who cruise around in tanks and are loaded with guns, armor and firepower? Especially after what some of the disgruntled soldiers did to prisoners in Abu Ghraib and other prisons?

24. strike-hard Registered

U.S.-led invasion: All Arabs Kurds
    Was right 48% 40% 87%
    Was wrong 39 46 9

Liberated Iraq 42% 33% 82%
    Humiliated Iraq 41 48 11

Presence of coalition forces:
    Support 39% 30% 82%
    Oppose 51 60 12

Attacks on coalition forces:
    Acceptable 17% 21% 2%
    Unacceptable 78 74 96