What makes America right?

Actually, Superman is how America views itself, and Lex Luthor is how America is viewed by the rest of the world.

There is no such thing as right and wrong. To some invading Iraq was right. To others it was wrong. To us 9/11 was a horrid tragedy...to a lot of the middle east it was a day to celebrate.

Who is right? Who is wrong? No one.

LordSimen said:
While I agree that in my opinion that is wrong, the only reason it is wrong is because we are in power.

If the Nazis had won, and they were in power, they'd be the right ones and we'd be the wrong ones.

So there is no definite "Right" or "Wrong," just what the individual believes.

i don't believe in moral relativism. there is a definite right and wrong, it doesn't matter who's in power.

cryptic name said:
i don't believe in moral relativism. there is a definite right and wrong, it doesn't matter who's in power.

See, you just prooved my point. It's what you believe. And just because YOU believe it does not mean it's true for the whole world, or that the whole world sees it as you do.

There is no right and wrong, just what a person believes is right and wrong.

Just the way it is.

cryptic name said:

So it is absolutely wrong to kill some one?

LordSimen said:
See, you just prooved my point. It's what you believe. And just because YOU believe it does not mean it's true for the whole world, or that the whole world sees it as you do.

There is no right and wrong, just what a person believes is right and wrong.

Just the way it is.

we're going to have to agree to disagree

BlackHardKnight said:
I will put this in comic terms...America is Superman
The rest of the world is Lex Luthor.

As Superman has done in the past is take matters into his own hands. Superman does not ask the police to take down super villians because he knows what they can do. Like Superman we take matters into our hands. Right or wrong we are the SUPER POWERED NATION. Get rid of the useless U.N. and let the American Empire Rule The World. We'll do a better job at it, like our country.

you're kidding, right? otherwise, that's exactly the attitude that pisses everyone else off.

There will never be a definite answer to this question, it's like one of those "why is the sky blue?" types of things. You ask 40 different people, you get 40 differnent answers.

Yes I was kidding..the problem is we have elite people in power who do things for thier own gain..i.e. POWER. What pisses me off is that Our Government be it any party forgets America. But I will say this America's problem is Government, it is a cancer on the people of this country. There are people who place faith in it like a church. Most Government people are rich and power and use middle and poor for votes. Big Bussiness, Hollywood, Other Countries, etc is what Government is working for. These tumors help the cancer Government grow to fuel what ever the tumors need. The American Government want to be G.I Joe so bad that any country not play ball with them is Cobra. I guess I missed the message at the end.

AND NOW YOU KNOW AND KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE.

CrAzYMoFo said:
What I think makes us right is how we are the most powerful country in the world. We obviously have to be doing something right.
That is not right that is powerful.

"Were on a mission from God"...actually if you research it thats what the declaration of independance is all about, founding fathers basically said if you dont run this nation under god, this nation wont run...but who actually takes the time to read that? Also the "separation of chuch and state" does not appear in the constitution it was in a letter from Andrew Jackson I believe actually stating that goverment needs to stay out of the church not the other way around.

The Democrat said:
Thats really not the question. The question is what creates the perception that we are the good guys.

AND how has that percertion????

just the american people

in my perception you are the bad guys and osama too cuzz he kill innocent people...well...usa too

then...usa is not the good guy

only the people of usa thinks that they are the good guy because they live there

by the way: I HATE USA!!!!

well just bush

Pythenis said:
"Were on a mission from God"...actually if you research it thats what the declaration of independance is all about, founding fathers basically said if you dont run this nation under god, this nation wont run...but who actually takes the time to read that? Also the "separation of chuch and state" does not appear in the constitution it was in a letter from Andrew Jackson I believe actually stating that goverment needs to stay out of the church not the other way around.

That is so true on what this coutry is founded on. But like anything in this country...most say that was in the past...doesn't matter anymore. Would love to hear what the founding fathers would say. :rolleyes:

Matt said:
There is no such thing as right and wrong. To some invading Iraq was right. To others it was wrong. To us 9/11 was a horrid tragedy...to a lot of the middle east it was a day to celebrate.

Who is right? Who is wrong? No one.
Matt I agree with you on almost every issue but here I absolutely have to disagree.

Many things are subjective in this world, many issues are nuanced and complex but murder is not one of them. Hijacking four planes with innocent people aboard and smashing them into the economic center of the world where thousands of innocent people visit daily and the Pentagon is wrong. There can be no justification for it. I would also say that the same is true of so called "collateral Damage". There is no differance between innocent civilians in America and innocent civilians in Iraq. I'm not comparing our troops or military tactics with those of the terrorists but rather the ideology that says that its acceptable.

The irony lies in the perceptions. We are villified daily by these extremists just as we villify them daily. Many people don't differentiate between Saddam Hussein and Osama Bin Laden and Ahmed who works at the bazar. The same is true of many in the middle east, they don't differentiate between our leaders like George W. Bush or John Kerry and Joe who works at the mall. Its a simplistic view held to constantly raise and hold the fear level. You scare enough people long enough you can get them to agree to anything as long as you convince them that they will be safer.

BlackHardKnight said:
That is so true on what this coutry is founded on. But like anything in this country...most say that was in the past...doesn't matter anymore. Would love to hear what the founding fathers would say. :rolleyes:
In one of the greatest cases of governing intuition the founding fathers realized that times change and that the ultimate pursuit of America is the formering of a "more pefect union". That is our goal, they realized that we couldn't form a perfect union but rather as fallible and mortal humans we can only push to the horizon. I think that the true questions that they would have would be "how the bad place did the slaves get the right to vote?" and "didn't we say that you could only vote if you owned land?"

Our nation was not founded as the government we see now. About the only constant that our government as a body has held is the potential threat looming from large business intrests and overly ambitious lawyers. Forget not that our nation was not formed by philosophers or great generals but rather by businessmen and lawyers. Yes there was Jefferson and Franklin but they too were of the ruling class.

Usa And All The Countries Should Take Care Of Their Own Bussiness!!!!!

Live And Let Live

USA AND ALL THE COUNTRIES SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THEIR OWN BUSSINESS!!!!!

LIVE AND LET LIVE

learn from the mexicans and suiza and all the countries who take care of their own bussines

"between the people as between the nations the respect to others is the peace"

BENITO JUAREZ PRESIDENT OF MEXICO

Don't make multiple posts...put it in one.

Pythenis said:
Actually thats just patently false:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

Subsequent Supreme Court desicions such as

Lemon v. Kurtzman, 91 S. Ct. 2105 (1971) Established the three part test for determining if an action of government violates First Amendment’s separation of church and state: 1) the government action must have a secular purpose; 2) its primary purpose must not be to inhibit or to advance religion; 3) there must be no excessive entanglement between government and religion.

and

Illinois ex rel. McCollum v. Board of Education of School District, 333 U.S. 203 (1948)

These decisions act as constitutional amendments of sorts.

The Declaration of Independance though a sacred document in American history contains no law.

The Democrat said:
Why are we the good guys? What is your answer to this. What makes us the good guys as a general rule?

Because humans are imperfect, nothing more, you'll never get the answer that is satisfactory. No leftwing nor rightwing stance can fix it, only hope to contain it, and keep it going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"