What Superman Comics Do You Want Influencing This Reboot?

Detective Conan

Avenger
Reaction score
What Superman comics do you think would best serve as influence for making a good Superman movie, particularly early in his career?

American Alien. Not necessarily the events, but just the modern vibe, with a Clark that acts and talks like your average young guy these days, not someone from the 40’s, with more of a focus on the relatable slices of life, and less on the bombastic world ending events.

Not a comic, but Man of Tomorrow would be a great place to start for inspiration.

Birthright is fun too, especially for Clark’s early days. Although I’d want some additional villains beyond just Lex.

And though I don’t want this to feel like a story from a bygone era, I really like Superman For All Seasons.

Silver Age/All-Star Superman vibes all the way. I think we’ve had a very narrow idea of what Superman can be on screen (even before the Snyder era). Let’s get wild.

Let’s get wild indeed. I’d love to see these films take inspiration for Morisson’s weirdest stuff, Mxyzptlk and all.

And how I’d love to see directors like the Daniels run with that and blow the doors open on what’s possible visually and tonally. Just because we’re moving away from Snyder doesn’t mean we need to move back to Donner.

Let’s get wild indeed. I’d love to see these films take inspiration for Morisson’s weirdest stuff, Mxyzptlk and all.

And how I’d love to see directors like the Daniels run with that and blow the doors open on what’s possible visually and tonally. Just because we’re moving away from Snyder doesn’t mean we need to move back to Donner.
Somewhere between snyder and Donner with a little bit of sv, with a sprinkle of superman and Lois, is what I want.
I say SV because I love that Lex, and the on the farm scenes were good.

Silver Age/All-Star Superman vibes all the way. I think we’ve had a very narrow idea of what Superman can be on screen (even before the Snyder era). Let’s get wild.
THIS. That Superman still is the best version of the character. If we can have Rocket Raccoon, I want a ****ing Krypto on screen, and all the other crazy shenanigans

i

download.jpg

Not gonna lie: they'll never do it but a film that embraces the silver age science fiction weirdness while also taking it 100% emotionally seriously like All-Star would be a dream come true. It was fashionable for so long to mock them because of course they're goofy and hokey but those silver age stories are beautifully surreal and creative.

Not gonna lie: they'll never do it but a film that embraces the silver age science fiction weirdness while also taking it 100% emotionally seriously like All-Star would be a dream come true. It was fashionable for so long to mock them because of course they're goofy and hokey but those silver age stories are beautifully surreal and creative.
I don’t think they’ll ever go full Silver Age, but based on GOTG and his Suicide Squad, I could buy Gunn having the desire to at least get close.

I don’t think they’ll ever go full Silver Age, but based on GOTG and his Suicide Squad, I could buy Gunn having the desire to at least get close.
I think they should do that , if only to make this iteration different from the others

I fully expect the Legion of Superheroes to be part of James Gunn’s DCU. Just a hunch.

Would need to hardline the emotional-stakes, etc. to ground the science-fiction weirdness but I’m up for that direction. I don’t mind an alien/other-worldly villain, but I do want to avoid a major invasion story—if just to avoid a Superman film marred by massive collateral damage.

But going further, I do think characters like Lobo, Toyman, or Parasite—although not Silver Age—would be a breath of fresh air compared to what we’ve seen on screen before (Luthor and Zod) and provide that “weird” factor. Parasite, after all, is in Morrison’s All-Star

I don’t need to see Mister Mxyzptlk or Krypto in live action—to be honest, I think Mxy should have been the villain in Superpets lol but that’s another discussion.

I think a good version of a live action Mxyzptlk would be something closer to Q from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Still a cosmic trickster who can annoy Superman, but also a character like Q's role in the Q Who? episode of TNG (that introduced The Borg) where he sends Picard and the Enterprise into the Delta Quadrant because he wanted to humble them and show them that they still have a lot to learn about the universe. Imagine a version of Mxy that could not only be the annoying trickster but also a character that could keep Superman's hubris in check and remind him that there are still things in the universe more powerful than he is.

Let’s throw a little Birthright into this Grant Morrison stew for good measure.

Man and Superman by Marv Wolfman is a pitch perfect template for a movie.
That’s actually a good suggestion. I don’t think they should adapt it too directly, considering a majority of the story is Clark before committing himself to being Superman, but a lot of that story would work well in a young Superman film.

That’s actually a good suggestion. I don’t think they should adapt it too directly, considering a majority of the story is Clark before committing himself to being Superman, but a lot of that story would work well in a young Superman film.
Would really like some "slice of life", for lack of a better term, like Man and Superman on the movie.

Love the slice of life stuff. Actually I think because of Midge Rachel can do slice of life Lois really well

Up in the Sky by Tom King for the characterization of Superman. 100%

I’d also love to see some hints at Whatever Happened to Truth Justice and the American Way?

Question.
I haven't really heard it asked, but how powerful should this superman be?

Planet moving?
Or more like a upper strength limit of, say, around a couple hundred thousand tons?

Bullet proof a 100%.
But do we want him to be slightly bruised over something like multiple big missile hits? Not hurt, but just slightly bruised.

For me I'd like to see influence from a lot of comics, I've always been partial to a lot of elements of Birthright. I don't want an origin, which it apparently won't be, but I would like the film to pickup around his first appearance & maybe development of his suit. Effectively, what Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, episode 1 sort of did.. but longer, bigger & better.

Not comics but i want STAS to influence the movie

Except some of the fights were there is destruction on an epic scale because we saw how some people liked that in the last iteration.. Now every battle needs to take place on the moon or we need some line inserted from someone to confirm the battle is taking place in a completely abandoned area with nobody in a 20 mile radius so everything can go boom...

That is said half jokingly but I fully expect that to happen from now on, any potential proper telling of the Doomsday arc, the battle will take place in a desert as opposed to the heart of Metropolis.. :fst:

Question.

Planet moving?
Or more like a upper strength limit of, say, around a couple hundred thousand tons?

Bullet proof a 100%.
But do we want him to be slightly bruised over something like multiple big missile hits? Not hurt, but just slightly bruised.
Planet moving never really made much sense to me and visually it would just be Supes doing a handstand and it would be like pushing a pin into a basketball.

Big missile hit should take him off his feat and send him flying back a bit but I don't think we would see any physical damage to his skin but rather his suit. I think it makes it more fun for when a big bad is punching down on him and then we see him bleed.

Question.

Planet moving?

Bullet proof a 100%.

I like how powerful he is in STAS tbh. Multiple missiles should disorient him and leave a bruise.

He isn't as fast as Flash. Can't breathe in space for a long period of time and it should make him feel cold as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"