Superman Returns Is Brandon Routh an example of the Superman curse?

Brandon is still a young guy.

I'm sure as he ages out of the role, he'll be recognized for something other than Superman.

Brandon would be great as a hard boiled cop on some show like Blue Bloods or something.

He has a cool classic hollywood Peck type look, if the director gets everything they can out of him he could do some better roles.

Yeah, but indirectly. Look at his career, he hasn't done much since the film was released years ago. On top of that, he wasn't that good as Superman in the sense that he didn't speak much and just flied around. The movie may have been a success but I'm glad they didn't make any more sequels. Routh also didn't use the film to his advantage by pursuing additional roles in films. He was too protective of that image and as a result became typecast as Superman. When that happens, it becomes difficult to land other roles. On top of that there was a lot of pressure to make the film and it went through development hell. It could have been better and they probably would have made a few more sequels but it just didn't fit well. I'm glad that they rebooted it.

Man of Steel is how the film should have been from the beginning. I liked how it had a "space opera" kind of theme paying tribute to the original films and the comics. And it seems that Henry Cavill has escaped the curse as he has several other films in production right now. On top of that he has already been somewhat established as an actor, so he escaped the superhero type cast.

I don't think the superman curse is broken, however. I have a feeling that the Superman vs. Batman movie will be a hit or miss. It seems like they are incorporating too many characters into one movie and when that happens it can be a disaster. I hope they keep the theme of Man of Steel because it was kind of engaging but at the same time I really hope they add the extended fight sequences as well. Sucks that we gotta wait another three years, I wish they had kept the December 2015 release date.

Anyways, we'll see what happens.

he still needs to improve and polish on his acting skill. hopefully he can land on some good scripts and good directors who can help him along.

There is no Superman curse. Brandon Routh's career is lackluster due to limited talent, not a curse.

Routh was rather good in Chuck and Scott Pilgrim Vs The World movie also he was OK in independent movie "Crooked Arrows".

He needs to improve but there are many actors who were initially considered as having limited acting ability but improved later on, for example Matthew McConaughey.

As long as he acts according to his strengths that is - comedy, action he would be fine.

Last edited:
I disagree. He was dull on Chuck and had no chemistry with the cast (and Chuck was a show that relied on chemistry between the cast). Never saw Scott Pilgrim so I cannot say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"