Superman Returns Is Brandon Routh an example of the Superman curse?

sween-el

Civilian
Reaction score
Just wondering what you all thought about this.

personally I thought Routh was great but I think that the reboot of superman with Henry Cavill is an example of Rouths own personal superman curse.
E.g.

Reeves-suicide/murder
Reeve-paralyzed
Cain-career
Routh-franchise reboot

(I think we can leave Welling out of this for the moment)

I think that Superman character is going through as much troubles, Legal battles, court orders and seen as old fashioned character that is no longer cool by younger generation.

I think that SR movie did well, despite being dull, can anyone here imagine a Superhero movie involving any other character Say Spider-man or Iron-Man not having any fight scenes, hero not punching anybody, having a Kid and losing his girl to another man and still making $400 mil. world wide and all that after returning to Big Screen after a gap of 19 years ?

I would like to see any Marvel Superhero accomplish that much collection with all the handicaps.

Last edited:
I dont think there is a Superman curse its a load of tosh really

I dont think there is a Superman curse its a load of tosh really
Yes, it's BS. People tried to say there was a TDK curse as well because a stuntman and Heath died, and because Morgan Freeman was in a car wreck a few months after. Meanwhile the movie goes on to make more money and have more success than any superhero movie that has come before it. Some curse. :o

Superman's only problem, as far as the public is concerned, is that his movies are outdated. Routh was merely unfortunate enough to be in one that brought nothing new to the table. If this new movie does well, which I think it will, and avoids some of the hokey cliches associated with Superman ("Truth, Justice, etc."), then it will make him golden again in the public eye.

Yes, it's BS. People tried to say there was a TDK curse as well because a stuntman and Heath died, and because Morgan Freeman was in a car wreck a few months after. Meanwhile the movie goes on to make more money and have more success than any superhero movie that has come before it. Some curse. :o

Superman's only problem, as far as the public is concerned, is that his movies are outdated. Routh was merely unfortunate enough to be in one that brought nothing new to the table. If this new movie does well, which I think it will, and avoids some of the hokey cliches associated with Superman ("Truth, Justice, etc."), then it will make him golden again in the public eye.

Exactly :up:

yes. there is the a superman curse. whoever play the role, his career will be stumbled after that.

"Superman curse?"

No. But there's definitely a stigma to playing such an iconic character like that. Just as there is for James Bond, Batman, etc.

The remedy to avoid type-casting is simple on paper, but easier said than done in execution. Hence why it rarely happens. Pick projects in between sequels to your franchise that are both commercial and show audiences you can play beyond your signature role while the opportunity is there.

The only actors who got past that and moved into lucrative careers after the fact are Sean Connery (and that was after years of casting woes) and George Clooney (arguably the only person whose career wasn't damaged by Batman & Robin; also owning up to the fact that the movie was garbage and he did it 100% for the money helped).

For all the remarks about Christopher Reeve's non-Superman-related career, that is 100% on him, and he's been man enough to admit that over the years. During his tenure, he was offered a number of starring roles in what turned out to be big, big commercial hits that he turned down: An Officer & a Gentleman, American Gigolo, Body Heat, Pretty Woman, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Romancing the Stone, Urban Cowboy and God knows what else.

There are no such things as curses, people die, get hurt, loose jobs all the time, doesn't mean that everyone is beset with sorcery of some sort. These guys are big stars who made lots of money playing an icon, doesn't sound like a curse.

There are no such things as curses, people die, get hurt, loose jobs all the time, doesn't mean that everyone is beset with sorcery of some sort. These guys are big stars who made lots of money playing an icon, doesn't sound like a curse.

:up: great post

"It could be worse. I could not get the role and something terrible could have happened, and then I would not have been Superman."

Check out this video at about the 3:35 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0S9mi2aiqY

Anything bad that happens to Routh will be interpreted as Superman Curse. That's how God was created.

Imo Routh was the best choice after Reeve and they (WB) should have stayed with him for this new movie.
Singer needed out, but from what i've seen from that Snyder guy i have serious doubts if this new movie is gonna be better than SR.
I liked SR a lot and i also liked Routh & Bosworth.
When i heard they were gonna make a brand new Superman film i was excited to know more untill i :
1 - found out who they have choisen for the new Superman part
2 - found out who's the director.
In both cases i have only 2 words = big mistake !

The only ting Routh is cursed with being is the George Lazenby of Superman movies. He was the filler in between (even though Lazenby walked after only one movie because of his agent) and was still too much in the mould of Connery. Cavill will be the Roger Moore of Superman movies, especially with his British accent.

The thing with Routh, especially as Superman, is that he's more like Jerry O'Connell than Christopher Reeve.

Routh was the only good thing about SR. Singer was the curse :p

There is no Superman curse.

I never believed in the curse, everything can be said to be cursed if you look at it hard enough. Stupid things that have been cursed: Poltergeist, The Little Rascal's, The Kennedy's, Superman....
Seeing what happened to Brandon Routh has made me wonder because his career has suffered so much; but really I don't think there is any kind of curse attached to this character.

personally I thought Routh was great but I think that the reboot of superman with Henry Cavill is an example of Rouths own personal superman curse.
E.g.

Reeves-suicide/murder
Reeve-paralyzed
Cain-career
Routh-franchise reboot

:awesome: That's not nice....!

I really disagree on Cain. He's had a lot of steady work. Ok he didn't become a superstar after Superman, but I'd be willing to bet he has a longer list of work than Routh or Welling will end up with.

Welling at least starred in a bunch of films that were hit movies.... That's more than I can say for Cain. Who is a DTV movie star.

Welling is a pretty good buisness man, he's directing and producing and has another hit show on the CW with Hellcats. I'm sure he can quit acting and still live a pretty good life for the rest of his life. Plus people need to give him credit. He's played Clark Kent longer than any other actor in history or ever will.

I really disagree on Cain. He's had a lot of steady work. Ok he didn't become a superstar after Superman, but I'd be willing to bet he has a longer list of work than Routh or Welling will end up with.

Thanks for the laugh. So you're psychic now ?

E.g.

Reeves-suicide/murder
Reeve-paralyzed
Cain-career
Routh-franchise reboot

Well, if you ask me I'd rather have a reboot than being paralysed or killed.

I agree. After all that thing he's in is not Superman. :oldrazz:

The only ting Routh is cursed with being is the George Lazenby of Superman movies. He was the filler in between (even though Lazenby walked after only one movie because of his agent) and was still too much in the mould of Connery. Cavill will be the Roger Moore of Superman movies, especially with his British accent.

The thing with Routh, especially as Superman, is that he's more like Jerry O'Connell than Christopher Reeve.

Routh being Superman just once might be the best thing for his career.

Yes because he is a crappy actor. And if he doesnt get a good career is because he was never a great actor in the first place. Being good means you get more jobs.

Cain was never the best actor in the world and he still has tons of acting jobs and a family to raise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"