What the hell is 300?

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Kabuki_Jo, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Kabuki_Jo Registered

What's it all about?

I have never heard or seen this graphic novel by Frank Miller.

2. MaskedManJRK Registered

I believe this is the official Synopsis:

"Based on the epic graphic novel by Frank Miller, "300" is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army. Facing insurmountable odds, their valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite against their Persian enemy, drawing a line in the sand for democracy. The film brings Miller's (Sin City) acclaimed graphic novel to life by combining live action with virtual backgrounds that capture his distinct vision of this ancient historic tale."

3. Joker Registered

Yeah, Miller did this after he did the Sin City: The Big Fat Kill storyline...I've never read it but I've heard about it before

4. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Great book.

5. XwolverineX Registered

Never read it.

6. GoldGoblin Registered

Are there other stories for sequels?

7. Joined:
    Oct 18, 2005
    Great book, you guys should read it.

No, there really can't be sequels. But Im sure if they wanted to they could.

8. GoldGoblin Registered

Do you think this movie will be 3 hours long?

9. Arkady Rossovich Registered

I never even heard of it,i can imagine this will become a dead forum.

10. Darthphere Kneel before 'Drox!

Yes because youve never heard of it.:rolleyes:

11. Dwarf lord Spirit in the Night

Of all the egotistical things to say. Just because you've never heard of it, means it must not be good or popular? Honestly. You haven't heard of it, therefore you haven't read it and from the sound of it, you have no desire to read it what so ever. In that case, please stay out of this forum so people who do enjoy it or do wish to read it can use it in peace.

12. deathshead2 Registered

Its somewhat based on the true story of the spartins that fought and well for the rest read a history book. Plese.

13. Joined:
    Oct 18, 2005
    Probably not... Im not to sure though, They'll have to decide.

14. Joined:
    Oct 18, 2005

300 really isnt a strictly accurate history. The Phocians did not "scatter," as Miller describes. His Spartans are mildly homophobic, which is goofy in such a gay society. Miller doesn't say how many Greeks remained for the climactic battle--you'd think 300 Spartans and maybe a dozen others, when there were between 700 and 1,100 Greeks. Herodotus's Histories does not identify the traitor Ephialtes as ugly and hunchbacked, or even as Spartan. 300 establishes a believable connection between Ephialtes's affliction and behavior, but his monstrous appearance, King Xerxes's effeminacy, and the Persians' inexplicable pierced-GenX-African looks make for an eyebrow-raising choice of villain imagery. Nonetheless, 300 is a brilliant dramatization.

I quoted some dude of another site,so im not totally sure if its completly true.

15. Hellion Oppa Is Here

I know of it...can't wait.

16. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

You could also read any ancient history book or watch the movie made in the 60's called "300 Spartans" starring Richard Egan.

17. Joined:
    Oct 18, 2005
    Yea, 300 Hundred Spartans was a good old film.

18. TheElderOne Guest

I've heard of this. Once in school, and again in the film Last Samurai. Looks to be very interesting.

19. MaskedManJRK Registered

It's also mentioned in the book version of Frank Miller's Sin City: The Big Fat Kill.

20. kytrigger Registered

This is pretty accurate, although while the Phocians didn't "scatter" they did retreat from the gate they were defending which allowed the Persians another way in to attack.

Originally, in the first couple days of the battle, there was around 7000 greek troops and somewhere around 200-300,000 Persian troops. The Persians were getting owned for a couple of days until Ephialtes betrayed them and told the Persians of another way in to attack (where the Phocians were). Once they found and secured the new passageway, the reaminder of the Greek army retreated while the 300 Spartans and about 700 Thespians stayed to fight to the death.

Another thing, I really hope this movie will have the famous line by Leonidas. When Xerxe's first arrived at Thermopylae and saw how small the Greek army was. he sent men in to ask the Greeks to surrender their weapons. Leonidas simply responded with "Come and get them." This is one of the most famous lines of Greek history and it is supposedly very common for Greek military to say this before they go into a battle.

21. Joined:
    Oct 18, 2005
    Awsome, Thanks for the info, Its a gonna be a awsome film.

22. kytrigger Registered

No problem at all. I am really looking forward to this film too. It's been a while since I read Miller's 300 and I definately have to read it again beore this movie comes out.

23. The Storm Registered

I'm interested in this for a number of reasons, although I've never read any of Frank Miller's graphic novels but I was impressed with Sin City. I enjoyed the world and characters he created. Epic films in this vein are a favourite genre of mine especially when rooted in some historical background. Final reason has to be watching hulky guys sweating it out in an epic battle :O

24. i-n-z-a-n-e Registered

No clue either, but in history class we were learning about Hannibal(not hannibal lector) but the Carthigian who f***ed up the Romans. This smart nerdy kid told me tehre making a movie 300 about him so that's what i think its about.

25. kytrigger Registered

The smart nerdy kid lied. It has nothing to do with Hannibal (although a movie about Hannibal would be cool).