Sequels What viral marketing should be for the sequel?

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
With the viral maketing for the Batman Begins sequel, The Dark Knight, being on the rage (maybe, but close), I was wondering if there should be a virla marketing when the sequel to Superman Returns happens.

Could there be, or should there be, a viral marketing for Superman: Man of Steel? If so, what do you want from the viral marketing for it?

I'd vote against Kryptonite disease (i.e. makes your veins green and fainting on the floor or ground plus eventual death but maybe not 'cos he doesn't usually die). ;)

Angeloz

Do a teaser trailer around...November-December 2009 enphasizing on "the threat level being upped" as Singer put it.

Then do a big splashy TV spot for the 2010 Super-Bowl with totally new footage and show lots of sci-fi action and what not (i.e. Supes kicking ass).

And around...March/April 2010, unveil the full-fledged theatrical trailer showcasing the plot, villain, action, etc. That and fill the market up with cool posters and solid TV spots.

I just don't see the need of 4-5 different trailers giving everything away.

No lame ass viral marketing for geeks on the net. :dry:

Lex Luthor calling peoples houses and announcing the sequel then saying, "WRONG".

No lame ass viral marketing for geeks on the net. :dry:

Aren't you a geek on the net right? Especially with posting here? Nothing wrong for us to call ourself a "geek", even you. Say it loud & proud, bub. ;)

Don't they have to make the film first?

Angeloz

I don't know. I don't think Superman is a very viral marketing-ish film. Could definitely happen, though.

So the infecting of every computer with Braniac isn't going to happen? ;) :D

Angeloz

Aren't you a geek on the net right? Especially with posting here? Nothing wrong for us to call ourself a "geek", even you. Say it loud & proud, bub. ;)
Yep, but I don't want marketing just for us. I want a vast marketing people can see when their computer is turned off. :o

Why don't they just get Superman to promote his own damn movie.

I'll admit I watched all the TV spots, clips and trailers for "Superman Returns". But I only saw one or two blogs (beforehand as I saw them after). Plus even the Batman viral stuff I usually avoid. I've read several of the newspaper articles and looked once at the Joker version of the newspaper. But mainly I'm indifferent to that. I do like the trailers though. That said I haven't watched them for awhile. I go to the boards more often but not every day.

Angeloz

You know what I would think would be kick a$$?

If they had one of those "I Love Bees" things were we find a extraterrestrial website that tracks weird radio signals. Fans can go out to said locations and turn on there radios to the correct signal and we are given a piece of the story in the vein of the old Superman serials!

However, some of them are not that and are interrupted transmissions in mores from BRAINIAC!

Ohhh, even better! Some of the repeating radio serials have FRS signals that when decoded through SSTV reveal new pictures of the movie! :word:

So the infecting of every computer with Braniac isn't going to happen? ;) :D

Angeloz

That's not a bad idea you know.

tekcopedis said:
You know what I would think would be kick a$$?

If they had one of those "I Love Bees" things were we find a extraterrestrial website that tracks weird radio signals. Fans can go out to said locations and turn on there radios to the correct signal and we are given a piece of the story in the vein of the old Superman serials!

However, some of them are not that and are interrupted transmissions in mores from BRAINIAC!

Ohhh, even better! Some of the repeating radio serials have FRS signals that when decoded through SSTV reveal new pictures of the movie! :word:

Meesa likes this too. :grin:

I just hope -if we actually get a sequel and on top of that a viral marketing campaign- That it doesn't gets as obnoxious as the TDK viral marketing. How many sites are there already? Last time I checked it was about 50,000.

I'm just...sick of these "viral" campaigns. Big tentpoles like Superman: The Man of Steel don't need to spend alot of time and $$$ on stuff like that imo.

Just sell the film off Superman, all the sci-fi action and villain(s) with bad-ass trailers, TV spots and one-sheets.

Superman doesn't need no damn viral marketing to get the movie out.

I would have said to do:

-Lex Luthor's campaign for public office. Akin to Harvey Dent's.
or
Luthor Corp. Website. Maybe with passwords, etc we can "hack" our way to find different projects in development by Luthor Corp. Some that spring to mind are:
.Project "Metallo"
.Project "Parasite"
.Project "Last Hope" (Bizarro": a project to "defend" us from Superman)

-A Daily Planet website with updates bridging the films.

-All of the websites being hacked by Brainiac including him starting websites of his own. Nothing spoilery about him...just clues, etc.

What do you think?

-R

I'm just...sick of these "viral" campaigns. Big tentpoles like Superman: The Man of Steel don't need to spend alot of time and $$$ on stuff like that imo.

Just sell the film off Superman, all the sci-fi action and villain(s) with bad-ass trailers, TV spots and one-sheets.

Yea that is what they did the last time...did not do a damn thing.

Plus, why not give people something that they like?

A Daily Planet website would be great, similar to the Gotham Times and the HAHAtimes that proved to be a red herring/April Fools by the Joker. :D Via the Daily Planet, especially Lois' articles, we could keep up with the latest news on Superman and Metropolis. Just think about it... Articles about a new possible threat, whispers about Luthor's whereabouts, the public's opinion on Superman's return, etc. Lots of possibilities here.

I've seen someone suggest a game like "Where is Superman now?" (similar to "Where in the World is Carmen Santiego?") where fans would have to track him down based on the given clues, either from press reports, Lois' articles, "word on the street" (other viral websites), etc. Maybe there would be clues hidden at different places in the world ("Superman was here") and collecting them all would help us reveal his current location.

There could also be a Clark Kent game involving scoops and fetching things and "beating others to the game". "Be the one to get the main headline!" and the like. There's SO MUCH stuff you could do here. It could be just as interactive as The Dark Knight ARG.

How about solving puzzles to reveal the latest Daily Planet headline (with a secret message that leads to a prize/a new picture/etc?)?

It's not that hard at all to come up with ideas, really. It's all about giving fans the chance to connect and play the games as one big group. It's more about community than marketing the film. The fact it helps the hype going (and HOW!) is just a bonus.

EDIT: Also, I'd love to see a viral website of the Daily Planet's rival newspaper(s)! People could submit news to whichever newspaper they like best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"