What was your first graphic novel purchase?

Hordakfan

Civilian
Reaction score
When i was 11 it would be the trade paperbacks of Batman vs. Predator and DC/Marvel crossovers after christmas when i got money from relatives. I started to collect GNs since junior high when i bought Killing Joke, Watchmen and Batman Year One.

"The Dark Knight Returns." Then "Kingdom Come" shortly after.

spider-man_hooky.jpg

Forgettable 80's Spidey story, only really memorable for the awesome art and quotable tagline (something like) "The greatest mistake Spider-Man ever made was letting his Uncle Ben die. Playing hooky is a close second!"

I think I got it as a gift.

First graphic novel I bought on my own accord and with my own (albeit allowance) money was probably Kraven's Last Hunt or Dark Knight Returns when I really got into comics a few years later.

The Punisher: Return to Big Nothing
7333381_1.jpg

Purchased in 84.
Cover.jpg

Last edited:
When i was 11 it would be the trade paperbacks of Batman vs. Predator and DC/Marvel crossovers after christmas when i got money from relatives. I started to collect GNs since junior high when i bought Killing Joke, Watchmen and Batman Year One.

Does manga count ?
The AKIRA manga.
All 6 books.

Otherwise my frist graphic novel purchase ( CB related) was Hellblazer.

What a great way to start, huh? Not only my first purchase, it's also the first comic book/graphic novel that I read.

5UCci.jpg

Last edited:
spider-man_hooky.jpg

Forgettable 80's Spidey story, only really memorable for the awesome art and quotable tagline (something like) "The greatest mistake Spider-Man ever made was letting his Uncle Ben die. Playing hooky is a close second!"

This is the first I bought on my own. I got the Spider-man vs. Superman one and the Muhammad Ali one as gifts. What's funny is that I only own about 6 graphic novels and they are all of that variety. I have none that simply reprint older comics.

spider-man_hooky.jpg

I think I got it as a gift.

That was my 2nd graphic novel. I still have it. Reminded me of Carpenter's The Thing.

Here was my first set of graphic novels:

f64a6ca4-7f42-45cb-afa1-de303231e445.jpg

This is the first I bought on my own. I got the Spider-man vs. Superman one and the Muhammad Ali one as gifts. What's funny is that I only own about 6 graphic novels and they are all of that variety. I have none that simply reprint older comics.
Same here. I only own original story GN's.

61IbuDUB6HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

at least I think it was essential iron man, I don't remember anything GN-like before it, just single issues.

Actually, I was wrong. Hooky came out in 1986, so the first one I bought was Superman and Spider-man (the sequel LOL!) in 1981. I was 8. It looked like this:

SupermanAndSpider-Man.jpg

I still got the Spider-man vs. Superman and the Muhammad Ali first though (as gifts).

You know I'm old and I can't remember ****. I know it all started with Clive, so one if not all three of these was the begining.

Comicrawheadrex.jpg

yatteringuk.jpg

efb01e91-ae2b-42f8-a230-68e95fb23811.jpg

Trying to find the Tapping the Vein series before the internet was quite the chore.

knightsend.jpg

MMAR093632.JPG

These were just gifts that I got that were pretty casual, this however was when I went out of my way to buy one:

250px-Batman_thelonghalloween.jpg

Last edited:
You know I'm old and I can't remember ****. I know it all started with Clive, so one if not all three of these was the begining.
Comicrawheadrex.jpg

yatteringuk.jpg

efb01e91-ae2b-42f8-a230-68e95fb23811.jpg

Trying to find the Tapping the Vein series before the internet was quite the chore.

I never thought about trying to read his graphic novels... I'll have to hunt these down.

I'm feeling a bit old. Most of you are posting tpb's. I remember gn's just being original stories published in that format.

2001, I was 12 or 13. I had always been a big Batman fan because of my love for Burton's first flick. But the release of X-Men the year before and the impending release of Spider-Man (also what started me lurking here when u=it was still Spider-Man Hype) got me really excited about comics for the first time. I started getting wizard magazine and learning everything I could about what I should read. I got my mom to take me to Borders one summer day and I picked up these beauties:

1-1.jpg

YearOneCover.jpg

That's how Cryptic began.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"