What would should be done with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Franchise Now?

I think that's different.

Halloween actually had the time pass and it makes sense from a storytelling perspective. Making a sequel to the 90s movie...are the Turtles going to be 40+? Or are they going to keep it in the 90s. And I feel like the original Halloween is a lot bigger in terms of pop culture than the specific TMNT90 (of course TMNT as a whole is bigger than Halloween I'm talking about the specific movie). What is the storytelling benefit to making a sequel to the 90s movie.

Again just make a whole new thing. It's silly to make a sequel to the 90s version.

Make the Turtles the main characters, make it good, don't make it too juvenile. No need to go back to the past
Acceptable point of view. I actually like the idea of the Turtles as a period piece, sounds like it could make for an interesting take on Donnie doing machines in that old era.

You need to watch them again. They are very much aimed at children, especially the second one.

The one where April uses her sex appeal to start the plot? And gets rescued by a rogue cop?

I think Hollywood sometimes confuses 'stupid' with 'aimed at children.' But to aim something at children, you have to aim, and Out of the Shadows is mostly shotgunned, Ninja Turtles slightly less so. Looking at the turtles' designs and personas, who is that aimed at? Certainly there's childlike antics, but a few slapstick scenes to placate/pander to children does not explain the characters and plot being very much not that, so I can't see the movie as aimed at them.

The one where April uses her sex appeal to start the plot? And gets rescued by a rogue cop?
Remember the mid credits scene to the first movie? It involves a giant picture of a lady in lingerie as a hiding spot for two giant turtles.

They arent necessarily aimed at children but they are very kid friendly

I think Hollywood sometimes confuses 'stupid' with 'aimed at children.' But to aim something at children, you have to aim, and Out of the Shadows is mostly shotgunned, Ninja Turtles slightly less so. Looking at the turtles' designs and personas, who is that aimed at? Certainly there's childlike antics, but a few slapstick scenes to placate/pander to children does not explain the characters and plot being very much not that, so I can't see the movie as aimed at them.

It's okay to like a children's film, you know. You don't have to try and make it out to be something it's not.

But something being a kids film is not an excuse for being an awful film. Any film has an audience. Manos The Hands of Fate has people who love it! Some of the films I am most impacted by are "kids films." I watched Coco yesterday. Amazing movie. Not an amazing KIDS movie, an amazing movie (though it is clearly a film geared toward a younger audience). Children's programming should strive for greatness. Not to be forgettable schlock.

It's okay to like a children's film, you know. You don't have to try and make it out to be something it's not.
My favorite movie is The Incredibles. Incredibles is most obviously a children's film, aside from the medium. It has a clear expy for the child egos in the child characters, who function as eyes and emotional touchpoints for the entire film. The plot is clearly empathetic to the prepubescent, even the depth of the villain motivation is enacted by a childlike emotion: rejection by a parental figure, not climbing the corporate ladder or some other such stuff aimed away from children. It placates adults subtly in nuances, not in character design, personas, plot or any such thing. It is still enjoyable for adults, but the entire runtime of the film, including it's heaviest and most moving emotional moments, is aimed at engaging children.

Ninja Turtles, and certainly Out of The Shadows is not this. Nothing about it, aside for a subsection of the humor, appears to be developed with children in mind and seeing as how nothing else about the film is aimed at children, one wonders if even that is aimed at children so much as it is aimed at immature teens and children find joy in it by default. Perhaps if such care was taken in its development to aim it at children, I may have really enjoyed it. As is, the lack of care in filmmaking precludes me from enjoying it as more than background noise, and I believe precludes anyone from explaining how this was aimed at all, much less at children.

Remember the mid credits scene to the first movie? It involves a giant picture of a lady in lingerie as a hiding spot for two giant turtles.
I must admit, I do not recall this. The only memorable parts of the experience, for me, are the Batman joke and the turtles defeating Shredder with the power of leapfrog.

Last edited:
New 'Ninja Turtles' Movie in the Works With 'Bad Words' Writer (Exclusive)

The heroes in a half shell are coming back for more pizza.

Paramount is developing a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie and has hired Andrew Dodge, the writer behind the Jason Bateman comedy Bad Words, to pen the script.

Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller will produce the feature via their Platinum Dunes banner. The company was behind the studio’s horror hit A Quiet Place.

Paramount has made two Ninja Turtles movies based on the 1980s cult comic by Kevin Eastman and Kevin Laird that spawned a pop cultural phenomenon in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The first movie, released in 2014, grossed $493 million worldwide while 2016’s installment, subtitled Out of the Shadows, showed the limits of the franchise with $245 million. Neither were hits with critics.

However, both were made before the arrival of chairman Jim Gianopulos, who has made it a priority to clean up the studio’s slate and refocus its franchises. Insiders are hoping to bring a patina of quality as they relaunch the franchise.

First step is to get it out of thee clutches of anyone who can't direct a movie without making me wish to get into the picture to punch the main characters.

I'm glad there is a new attempt. Turtles rock when done right.

With the same producers, I'm assuming it'll be a continuation of the current two.

I hope not. Reboot or bust. Give me the real Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles... emphasis on "ninjas".

Wait and see game for this one.

Not sure why they wanted to emphasize A Quiet Place.

However, both were made before the arrival of chairman Jim Gianopulos, who has made it a priority to clean up the studio’s slate and refocus its franchises. Insiders are hoping to bring a patina of quality as they relaunch the franchise.

I'm down if he's the one who insisted on scaling back Transformers to Bumblebee.
So...possibly a smaller budgeted TMNT flick.

Not sure why they wanted to emphasize A Quiet Place.

Because that's the one movie in the Platnum Dunes roster, in a 15 year history, of being of quality.
"Hey guys we can make good movies too" type thing
1) I doubt this will happen with these producers
2) If it does yeah I can't get excited. We saw what they did before. They really are just like: "Kids will like it anyway just do whatever"
3) Hopefully it's a reboot

Front page article refers to this as a reboot, so there’s that.

Wonder what the tone for this new series will be. I imagine they’ll probably go smaller budget and slightly more grounded for this one, simply because the last two were much bigger budget and didn’t make much of a profit.

Front page article refers to this as a reboot, so there’s that.

Wonder what the tone for this new series will be. I imagine they’ll probably go smaller budget and slightly more grounded for this one, simply because the last two were much bigger budget and didn’t make much of a profit.

The first movie was grounded and made enough to make more.
Wonder if they'll intro the turtles from Casey and his dad's pov this time.
Han's basically shot up in ranks as a TMNT villain and if they wanna do street-level as in less mutants/aliens/etc, that's one way to do it.

The first movie was grounded and made enough to make more.
Wonder if they'll intro the turtles from Casey and his dad's pov this time.
Han's basically shot up in ranks as a TMNT villain and if they wanna do street-level as in less mutants/aliens/etc, that's one way to do it.
I dig this idea, it should really happen.

Will they make Han buff like his debut appearance, or more like Bruce Lee like the 2012 show did?

Yeah while the last 2 movies didn’t have huge budgets, I see them going lower for this re-boot. Start off with something like a $60-70 million budget and make it more grounded.

I posed this in the other thread reguarding turtles movie I think its time for a different villain to start this new reboot out. We've seen Shredder enough times you can save him for a sequel if this 1st film does well. Which is why I think a film having the Turtles fighting somebody like the Rat King or maybe even Leatherhead would be a interesting. What do you guys think.

They'll do it Marvel style. It'll be aimed at a broader audience than the 2014 and 2016 films. The first film will be very much an introduction and set up stuff for further movies.

i think they should have the older versions of the 1990 teeange mutant ninja turtlers movie!! it was kind of dark gritty but yet kid friendly!! its my all time favorite super hero movie!! I loved ninja turtlers before marvel or dc!! I grew up in the 1990s so every thing was about ninja turtlers!! EVEN ME & MY Brother dressed up as ninja turtlers for halloween!! we also had almost all the ninja turtlers action figures!! I think they should do guys in suites aging!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"