What you didn't like about Ant-Man - Flaws/Critiques

In retrospect, Ant Man infiltrating the Avengers HQ (conspicuosly empty but for Falcon, though the last time we saw it the place was bustling with activity of Avengers and dozens of other staff) felt like Deadpool visiting the X-Mansion. "It's like the studio couldn't afford any other heroes".

Makes me like that scene even less.

Okay so it's not like I've seen the movie recently so I could very well be proven wrong here, but I don't think it was the actual HQ that Falcon was guarding. I was under the impression that they said the place was converted into an Avengers facility, which could be anything from HQ to a simple backyard shed. In this case it appeared to be a largely empty area that still required some kind of higher security since Falcon is seen doing a perimeter walk and has communication with someone, probably someone monitoring from a security room.

I don't think there is anything that directly said "Hey this is the new Avengers home base!" It didn't even LOOK the same since it was basically a bunch of warehouses and I definitely recall the HQ area shown in Ultron to have some large glass windows all down the side. So, yeah, it likely was meant to be a secondary location to the main buildings.

To me, the least real part was that they had Falcon on perimeter check. Like surely they have a security team for that, right? And if the storage facility was so important it required an actual Avenger on site to monitor at all times, well, you think Falcon's reaction to being beaten and having the place busted into would be a BIT worse than a vanity comment about not letting Steve know. Unless he's been assigned there as some kind of disciplinary move by Cap because he's been off his game lately, and he knows that the units don't contain anything too dangerous but that the whole thing is not going to be helped if it's found out he was beaten up by an ant. But that is a rather long, really precise situation for the filmmakers to fairly trust the audience can assume.

But I also understand why having Scot break into an Avengers storage unit isn't very exciting if he's just taking down your normal security goons, and it's highly impractical for them to spend the rest of the movie show us that the Avengers security team is taking this all Very Seriously and looking for the perp none stop. And I suppose that is easy and direct enough to fairly believe your audience would assume.

I'm fairly certain it was the Avengers home base we saw at the end of AoU. However I can easily buy that everyone else is off to do something more important. It was obviously the studio cutting costs because they didn't want to pay Evans or Downey but it's not like it stuck out within the story.
Deadpool showing up to a mansion with presumably hundreds of students with powers and only seeing the same two people? Obviously that's gonna stand out so I'm glad Deadpool made a remark about it.

Really, the only thing about the movie I didn't like was the fact that I wish we could've sene Edgar Wright's original version. I'm sure it would've been a little more subversive, and would've pushed the material further than Peyton Reed did.

Having said that, Reed did a wonderful job. But I HATED - and still HATE - the fight against Falcon. It's just stupid. The movie has such a wonderful script, which does an amazing job introducing the characters, making you care about them, and setting the stakes for the final heist/mission. And amidst that, they shoved in that unnecessary, silly and mood- and pace-breaking nerd-pleaser of a fight scene. Duh...

Having said that, after rewatching it recently this movie definitely is among my Marvel Studios top 5 together with Iron Man and Iron Man 3, Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

A much better movie than some of the more popular flicks from the studio.

I think initially Sam was simply trying to take Scott in and then once he realized what Scott was capable of, had to increase his force. Plus, look at it from Sam's perspective... he's not privy to the information that us as the audience are. As far as he knows, this is a super that's trespassing on the Avengers facility with the intent to steal and/or do who knows what else. He's within his rights to defend the facility from a perceived threat.

Scott "ruining the moment".
That's one moment they should have just let stand on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"