Guardians of the Galaxy What you didn't like about Guardians of the Galaxy - Flaws/Critiques

Which, for me, wasn't substantial enough, because the only way you would know that they WERE connected to previous movies is if you were being astute and especially observant.

You have to be astute and especially observant to recognize this same marvel character appearing in two movies...in the same environment and serving the same person?!

But you also didn't recognize the huge tesseract on a huge theater screen so I'm not surprised.

tumblr_m9038slKut1qe5ugfo1_500.gif

thanos-throne-guardians-of-the-galaxy.jpg

• The dance scene at the beginning was horrid, on par with the dance scenes in Spider-Man 3
  • Villains were underdeveloped
  • Thanos. They're really gonna have to nail it when he shows his strength because right now it's all talk about how badass he is and without a grand showing to prove that it'll all be for nothing
  • Cosmo Not talking. I was hoping for a Russian accented Cosmo, unlike Black Widow
  • The Marvel logo appearing into the movie and the fanfare of it, and the "Marvel Studios present" as if we didn't get it the first time seconds ago.

That's pretty much it, loved the movie.

Last edited:
The dance scene at the beginning was one of my favorite parts, haha

Not a flaw or a critique, just a question:

Did Alexis Denisof play the Other again in this film??
it seemed like he looked and sounded just a tiny bit different from Avengers, so I wasn't sure....

The dance scene at the beginning was one of the best most unique parts of the movie. It sets up both the character and the film itself,establishing tone and signaling to the audience that they're watching something very different than the typical sh flick. Plus it foreshadows and bookends with the dance scene at the end. It's interesting that you loved the movie but hated the scene that in many ways embodies it.

It showed his character well but I just found it silly and out of place for that scene.

One other is how he and Gamora survived in space. Even with his breathing helmet his and her skins was exposed to space. They may have been in the atmosphere of Knowhere though.

Blame science, not the movie. People can survive short periods of exposure in space.

Yeah that's the one thing that actually can be explained by science in the movie... I've seen quite a few articles on it

Upon repeat viewings the only (very) minor complaint I can still think of is the Marvel logo being after a sort of prologue rather than just before the movie starts. Just irks me a bit, takes you out of the movie

Yeah that's the one thing that actually can be explained by science in the movie... I've seen quite a few articles on it

Upon repeat viewings the only (very) minor complaint I can still think of is the Marvel logo being after a sort of prologue rather than just before the movie starts. Just irks me a bit, takes you out of the movie

It didn't take me out at all. I looked at it as Peter getting whisked away into space, and by extension, the Marvel Universe itself.

First, I loved the movie, had a great time watching it.

Nitpicks.

My big one, which I mentioned in another thread.
Lackluster fight scenes.
I expected to see Drax and Gamora (high level Marvel assassins) mow through hundreds of drones with great choreography.
What I got was a minute long meet and greet fight (more like a dance).
A second long, quick cut, prison fight.
A blink and you will miss it bar fight.
A, I blinked and I missed it, Drax fighting Ronan's thugs on Knowhere
And to top it off, the fight I was waiting the whole movie for, Gamora v Nebula...
2 seconds of arm blocks and then nothing...

I don't expect another Raid Redemption, just some decent fight action from comic book movie.

To me Drax and Gamora were just hired thugs with different color skin.
Not a top mercenary and Thanos' daughter.

On a smaller level.
Where does Quill pick up batteries for his Walkman? Is there a 7 Eleven on Knowhere?
How did he get a wall mounted cassette player on his ship? Hi-Fi Guys on the Nebula highway?
And of course, how lucky for Quill that the entire universe/galaxy speaks a language that something like 10% of his home planet speaks?

Last edited:
The dance scene at the beginning was one of the best most unique parts of the movie. It sets up both the character and the film itself,establishing tone and signaling to the audience that they're watching something very different than the typical sh flick. Plus it foreshadows and bookends with the dance scene at the end. It's interesting that you loved the movie but hated the scene that in many ways embodies it.

I agree with you.

The dance scene at the beginning was one of my favourite scenes in the whole movie.

Blame science, not the movie. People can survive short periods of exposure in space.

Both characters are also not entirely human, insuring that they last even longer than humans.

I actually like the portrayal of deep space exposure in this film.

The only thing I would've changed is that I would've like to have seen more of an actual fight between the Guardians and Ronan at the end.

Only thing I didn't like was the overabundance of humanoid characters and the lack of diversity in aliens. I just started reading the Starlin Warlock trade and was amazed by the amount of weird aliens within it, floating eyes, disenbodied eyeless heads moved around by odd appendages, various reptilian type creatures, and all sorts of colorful and asymmetrical creatures.

I can appreciate that Gunn used the budget in smart ways I'd just love to move beyond rainbow colored people and to use creatures we have seen in the comics, such as in the prison scene there surely was a million and one interesting looking aliens that could have served in place of the one Nathan Fillion played that are canon to the comics.

AWESOME movie...might be Marvel's best. Couple quick gripes, pretty minor.

1. Ronan's reaction at the end with Quill's dancing "What are you doing?" Dude, I would have just blasted him. It was a very random considering this guy is a super-baddie who talks back to Thanos.

2. Drax...actually liked Bautista's performance, but he was WAY underpowered. I get why, but I wish he put up more of a fight again Ronan and in general. Maybe a few more displays of strength, so we know he's super-strong.

3. This might be a movie-studio contractual thing, but no mention of Skrulls?? Not even seeing one in the prison? I really wanted a Skrull reference badly, again, if it's a studio contract thing, I understand, but if not, big miss.

AWESOME movie...might be Marvel's best. Couple quick gripes, pretty minor.

1. Ronan's reaction at the end with Quill's dancing "What are you doing?" Dude, I would have just blasted him. It was a very random considering this guy is a super-baddie who talks back to Thanos.

2. Drax...actually liked Bautista's performance, but he was WAY underpowered. I get why, but I wish he put up more of a fight again Ronan and in general. Maybe a few more displays of strength, so we know he's super-strong.

3. This might be a movie-studio contractual thing, but no mention of Skrulls?? Not even seeing one in the prison? I really wanted a Skrull reference badly, again, if it's a studio contract thing, I understand, but if not, big miss.

If I'm not mistaken, Marvel has the rights to the Skrulls, but does not have the rights to Super Skrull (as he's tied to the Fantastic Four). If I'm correct, I would imagine they're avoiding Skrulls because of the lack of Super Skrull.

There's also that the Skrulls are all about shapeshifter infiltration plots, ultimately. I suspect that, if Marvel intends to ever use the Skrulls, they want them to show up as a surprise.

Ugh why did I click on this?

Were you curious about the many and varied nitpicks people could come up with about an extremely well-made and well-received film? I was. Reading it is hilarious, but not in a charming, "not 100% a dick" Peter Quill kind of way.

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_1usinjjps38gcsoowogwo0sc4_1280.gif

Oh, those orange headphone muffs on the Walkmans were notorious for wearing out inside of a year of use so i do call BS on that. I hope they address this in the sequel with at least some throw away comment or else they'll really lose credibility with me.

f5yiWCl.gif

while i absolutely adored this movie, i wasn't crazy about gamora. i think zoe saldana is a good actress and i don't want to go so far as to say the character was a "flaw" but being the adopted daughter of thanos and the most dangerous woman in the galaxy, i was a little surprised to see her character played with such an earnest sense of heroism. i think i would have liked her to have been a bit more rough around the edges, a little more intimidating.

i get that, in terms of character dynamics, initially with quill caring only about his payday, groot and rocket caring only about the bounty on quill and drax caring only about revenge against ronan, they needed gamora to fill the role of catalyst in terms of speaking for the bigger picture. but her somewhat one-note sincerity didn't make her my favorite character.

that being said, i really don't see this so much as a flaw, more of a personal preference. the only comic book i've read that featured gamora is annihilation conquest so i'm not that familiar with her character. anyone else feel this way?

Gamora/Nebula fight scene wasn't as good as it should be.
Drax in the comics has some precision moves, he seemed more of a brute brawler.
The Korvath character was a waste, especially with such a good actor involved.

they killed Ronan when the character had more to be mined

On a smaller level.
Where does Quill pick up batteries for his Walkman? Is there a 7 Eleven on Knowhere?
How did he get a wall mounted cassette player on his ship? Hi-Fi Guys on the Nebula highway?
And of course, how lucky for Quill that the entire universe/galaxy speaks a language that something like 10% of his home planet speaks?

Gunn has answered both of these.

As far as how the cassette is still working, Gunn thought if they could master artificial gravity and casual long distance space travel than making a cassette player and its accessories should be a cinch.

In the mugshot scene, on the list of stats of Peter Quill includes a surgically implanted translator in his neck.
4oqJs.jpg

So I'll start by saying, I was so pleasantly surprised by this movie and in such a good mood after leaving the theater, that none of the following really holds much salt. The film gets an 8.5/10 from me and lands just shy of DoFP on my ranking of 2014 flicks.

So the reason it didn't get any higher? The second and third viewing made it pretty clear why. The movie doesn't take itself seriously, and this simultaneously an awesome and disappointing factor. Things like:

1. Yondu speaking with the Xandarian buyer, "Boombally bumbally, boobaly bumbally..." - /facepalm silly awkwardness.
2. "Don't drink fountain water you idiot" scene - now this segment was funny and didnt bother me at all, but on repeat viewings really dehuminized the two characters and for a second I was watching an animated kids movie.
3. "I think I just peed a little" Star Lord in response to infinity stone explanation - This is a very small thing, but it just seems so forced to make us afraid of the infinity stones.
4. The dance-off with Ronan - Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE this scene, the problem with this is also very minute. Why the HELL would Ronan even stop to watch this happen? lol... /sigh.

And thats really about it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"