Daredevil What you DIDNT like from Daredevil Season 1(spoilers abound)

The final DD mask, especially the plated area in the center of the head. I was okay with the rest of the final DD outfit, but the head didn't quite work as well as it could have.

-The costume
-The lack of billy clubs and swinging through the city
-Ben Urich dying (totally excusable in a one-season mini series, but now that DD is a bonafide multiple season show, losing Urich in the first season kinda sucks.)
-And, while I liked D'Onofrio's performance overall, his voice sounded strange at times.
-"World on Fire" and misrepresentation of Daredevil's powers.

But all of that stuff is nothing compared to what I liked about it. I can deal. I don't care. I'm no hater. This show delivered what I had hoped for.

Now that I'm watching the season again (before I watch the finale again)

1. Show starts with a career newly started in law practice, but when Stick meets Matt again, he says 20 years has passed since he started training him, and I stated above that Matt was blinded at the age of 9, and this is fresh in his time as a lawyer, so maybe Matt and Franklin should be 22-24 years old, not 30 years or older.
  2. Melvin Potter mentions someone kidnapped by the Kingpin, they do not show Betsy, or a rescue attempt.
  3. Ben Urich, one of the most important supporting characters in the history of the character, is killed in this season, in his house.
  4. They spend too much time speaking in low pitched voice, every character, and too often, it's almost like they whisper every word. Speak up, seriously, speak normally.
  5. Wesley and Fisk told Leland to contact lady Gao a couple of times, and he does, but he can't speak Chinese, and understood her. He only learns she can speak English near the end of episode 12.

Regarding your 1st point, Matt and Foggy didn't just now start practicing law. They previously worked at a bigger law firm and chose to leave and start their own practice as defense attorneys.

Even then, they were interns, that doesn't take long enough for them to reach the age of 30 when Stick returns to NYC.

Well you go to law school AFTER you get your Bachelor's degree (and there's often a year in between as you prepare for your LSATS - I know someone who did this recently) so they probably wouldn't have even taken the bar exam until age 25 or 26. All things considered I'd put them around age 28 or 29.

Right, different country, different rules to enroll into law school, forgot that bit.
Two of my brothers enrolled in law school shortly after graduating high school.

Yeah, here after high school it's typically a 4-5 year Bachelor's degree, take the LSATS to get admitted to law school, then 3 years of law school, then you take the bar exam.

I graduated undergrad with a BA in classics and a BS in economics in 3 years and took the LSAT during my last year of undergrad, then did 3 years of law school and took the bar two months after graduation. I was sworn in 3 months later. Even with that accelerated path, I was 25 before I was sworn in.

Nothing really. It completely blew me away. I really couldn't believe how good the production values and script were.

I kinda hate the new costume DD debuted in the finale. I thought the original Man in the Mask costume was a bit lame but passable, but this new one just looks ridiculous to me.

I wish there were more scenes of Matt interacting with Foggy and Karen, because most of the time it felt like Foggy and Karen had a lot of scenes together, while Matt was busy doing his own thing.

I was expecting more scenes of Matt and Foggy in the courtroom, but I understand why the show focused more on Matt as DD than Matt as a lawyer.

Fisk was interesting, and I liked him for the most part. Just sometimes I felt that he was too emotional and unstable to be believable? It was a bit exaggerated at times.

Also, did Urich have to die? :(

Last edited:
Just finished watching the series for the second time (after finishing up Jessica Jones). I liked the series more my second time around, but a few things continue to bug me.

The final costume. It's just bad. And the mask is horrendous. At the risk of sounding crude, the mask makes him look mentally disabled. He should look menacing. It's a shame when the black shirt and black mask get up looks so much better than the final costume.

I noticed that the fight scenes changed drastically as the show went on. In the beginning, Matt was a brawler; no flashy moves, just whatever it took to take a guy down as efficiently and painfully as possible. As the show progressed, the moves became more staged, more flashy in unnecessary ways with flips and spins that just looked goofy. I much prefer the brawler DD. On a related note, I could NOT take Stick seriously. Easily the worst episode.

Fisk. Vincent D is a good actor, and a solid choice for the role, but I am not a big fan of the decisions he made as an actor here. There were things and moments I really liked of him, but overall, I don't think he gave as good of a performance as he could have. It was too over the top, too much scenery chewing, too bipolar (in unintended ways). Here's hoping he rethinks the character for next season because I have no doubts he can pull it off.

Count me as yet another fan disappointed by the final costume. It felt like too drastic a shift from the grittier tone of the show to something more cartoonish and MCU-esque. And, after all the buildup about having light body armor, the way it looked in the end didn't make sense at all.

Something else I didn't like - Fisk's Mandarin when he was talking to Gao. D'Onofrio did a great job, but it was still a little painful to listen to. Surely there could have been a better way to do that (very long...) scene?

Just rewatched the series again after finishing Jessica Jones. Still really enjoyed the entire season. The only thing I didn't like about it was some of D'Onofrio's acting choices/voice. It sounded a little too Batman-ish at times.Though when he was acting with Vanessa, it seemed to calm a bit though. Other than that, bring on season 2.

There were many instances where Vincent D kind of exaggerated a little bit...maybe alot. To me he spoke 'normal' when he speaks with Wesley alone.

The mask of the final costume. The whole costume was a little off to me, but the mask really bugged me. They need to get rid of the nose piece to start.

Also, they overdid how brutally he was beaten/injured. My wife asked me if he has a healing factor, and rightfully so given what they showed. But he doesn't, so nurse or no nurse it was too much.

The mask of the final costume. The whole costume was a little off to me, but the mask really bugged me. They need to get rid of the nose piece to start.

Also, they overdid how brutally he was beaten/injured. My wife asked me if he has a healing factor, and rightfully so given what they showed. But he doesn't, so nurse or no nurse it was too much.

It was a bit much, but while he doesn't have a healing factor, he does say he learned meditation which speeds up his ability to heal.

There were many instances where Vincent D kind of exaggerated a little bit...maybe alot. To me he spoke 'normal' when he speaks with Wesley alone.

Yeah, I felt that his performance could've been toned down a little. I cringed sometimes when watching him. I wish they approached him as a ruthless guy first and emotional guy second, as opposed to emphasizing his big baby-like qualities.

I quite liked his end costume though all the black parts were unnessesary, especially those on his abdomen.

Agreeing with others on the post, as soon as he put on the costume it got too cartoony with all the redundant flipping and spinning and stick sticking-togethering.

I'm hoping that this was just to emphasise it for the final episode and in S2 they go back to the focussed brawler-esque style he had throughout the rest of the series.

I really didn't buy the Kingpin's motivations. He just kept making vague references to saving the city or cleansing the filth, but he never really elaborates on what his vision for Hell's Kitchen really is. He's just reactionary for most of the series.

It also stumbled a bit as the endgame drew closer. I feel like there wasn't enough impact in the last few episodes in view of the build up.

Still an amazing show, but I hoped for more from the lead antagonist and I hoped for a more satisfying conclusion.

I didn't like that either. This is a guy who did business with heroine dealers and human traffickers. Before it was...

Then this happened:

Fisk reveals his true intentions at the end. He was out to destroy the city. Because he's an unstable and vicious criminal full of resentment.

My opinion of the show might change after a second viewing.

As it stands, I'm glad Drew Goddard left this because the first 2 ep were a chore to sit through right down to the action.
Thankfully the rest of season made up for those 2...up to a point. After Stick's ep I lost interest in the ongoing drama.
Sans the one with Melvin Potter, fight choreography got worse.
Foggy can be grating, even if he had his moments.
Matt Murdock was bland, even if he had his moments.
Karen felt out of place. All her subplots felt out of place and dragged this show down.
Not enough Rosario Dawson's character.
I didn't care for Fisk's backstory nor most of his portrayal. I fail to understand how a wreck like him got into power. His love life was the most I cared for.
My favorite villains are both underutilized and dead.
Definitely not a fan of the final suit.

I am immensely delighted season 2 is being developed by the best writers of this season.

I pretty much liked everything about Daredevil. I loved Wilson Fisk, though his initial portrayal reminded me of D'Onofrio's character on Criminal Intent. Fisk was scary as heck. Was always on edge when he was onscreen, just waiting for him to lose that calm demeanor and attack someone. The decapitation scene was a bit much, couldn't watch it and even had to turn the volume off.

I hated Ben's and Welsey's death, they were really great characters. Karen as well.

Ben Urich's death was probably the only thing I didn't like about the season. I didn't find anything else to be too annoying but seeing him die... I think that was a huge mistake.

Still feel that too much was "off" in the finale of season one, from the costume to what they ultimately did with Fisk. It far from ruins anything, I just wish there had been some more thought after the wonderful way the series flowed the last episode felt really rushed all over.

I thought the DD mask could have been better. Now it is. The show is approaching flawless for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"