What's the Last Book You Read/Finished? - Part 1 Page 1 Chapter 1 Paragraph 1 Line 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
'GOOD OMENS' - Neil Gaimen & Terry Pratchet.

Just finished The Stand by Stephen King. It gave me a better understanding on the motives and intentions of the characters. Didn't really provide much more to the plot than what was in the movie/miniseries but it was a good (long) read.

I also finished the Mockingjay recently and issues 1-104 of the Walking Dead.

The Stand was fantastic until the end. I didnt' feel that the final conflict was worth all the build up. But that Captain Trips stuff was amazingly done!

Yeah I agree with that. The buildup to the ending (although from watching the miniseries I already had an idea of what will happen) kind of just happened and all too quickly, especially considering how many pages he would use to describe a person's features or someone going into a monologue.

[blackout]Then with Randall Flagg just coming back, I should have expected that with King as he did it with 3 other books that I recall.[/blackout]

[blackout]The Stand is the only King book I've read but Flagg apparently shows up in several of his books. I think Eye of the Dragon is an origin story for him (if I've heard that correctly) and I know he's in the Dark Tower series. He's apparently also in a short story or two, maybe one in Hearts In Atlantis? I could be wrong on that though.[/blackout]

I have read:

Needful Things, Tommyknockers, Nightmares and Dreamscapes, Christine, and the Shinning to name a few but I have not read the others (yet) so I can't confirm that. But the ending with him in the Stand was anti-climatic.

bout a third of the way through The Girl Who Played With Fire

[blackout]The Stand is the only King book I've read but Flagg apparently shows up in several of his books. I think Eye of the Dragon is an origin story for him (if I've heard that correctly) and I know he's in the Dark Tower series. He's apparently also in a short story or two, maybe one in Hearts In Atlantis? I could be wrong on that though.[/blackout]

While I haven't read Eye of the Dragon, Flagg does
reflect on his past in The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower. He is mentioned in Hearts in Atlantis, but never seen. It was in a newspaper article; some Vietnam protest group planted explosive at a government building. Their leader was a guy with the initials RF.

Anyway, finished The Sailor on the Seas of Fate by Michael Moorcock. Moving on to Gardens of the Moon by Erikson and The Fortress of the Pearl by Michael Moorcock.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention.

Before reading Book Thief I had finished The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen. It was just alright for me, though I think others would like it more. It was decent though.

Currently reading the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I'm only 64 pages into it but I'm completely intrigued so far. Love the feel of this book!

Currently reading the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I'm only 64 pages into it but I'm completely intrigued so far. Love the feel of this book!

i have this on my to-read list

i have this on my to-read list

My wife and my best friend both read it and said I'd love it (and my wife isn't exactly a big reader, so that's saying something). I started it once and got to a certain point but had to stop. I started it again last month and got to the exact same spot but had to stop again due to falling behind on book club (I can really only read 1 book a month but I'm trying to fit this thing in there).

So now I'm all caught up and I have 2 weeks before the next book club book is chosen, so I'm determined to get this thing read. It should be easy though because I'm getting sucked into it fairly quickly.

i need to join a book club. i bet that'd be fun

It really is. The only problem is I only have enough time for about 1 book a month. If I go over that then other things suffer, primarily my writing. But yeah, it's fun.

My wife started ours a couple years ago because she had just finished the Harry Potter series, loved it, but had no idea what else to read... not being a reader. I didn't read as much then so I thought it was a great idea. We pulled together a few friends who had different tastes in books an called it the Pick 3 Book Club. Each month a preselected member would bring 3 book options. We all vote on which of those 3 will be our next book, majority wins, and then we read it and discuss at the next meeting. We also choose who is selecting the next book then so they have a month to get options together. We took a large break somewhere in the middle so we could get caught up on some of our own books, but for the most part it's been enjoyable. I took it over after a couple months when my wife started slacking :)

Our book list so far:

1) The Boy in Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

2) Boneman's Daughters by Ted Dekker

3) The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry

4) The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

5) Neverwhere by Neal Gaiman

6) The Shack by William Young

7) Cape Refuge by Terri Bradstock

8) Redwall by Brian Jacques

9) Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith

10) Mort by Terry Pratchett

11) Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

12) The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien

13) Angels & Demons by Dan Brown

14) The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

15) The Stand by Stephen King

16) The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

17) Wool by Hugh Howie

18) Crossing the Borders of Time by Leslie Maitland

19) Possession by Elana Johnson

20) Cicada Song by Bradford Combs

21) The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

22) The Girl Who Chased the Moon by Sarah Addison Allen

Of all these books the only ones I didn't read were Great Expectations and Crossing the Borders of Time, both of which I hope to eventually squeeze in.

My recommendations were: The Manual of Detection, Redwall, The Children of Hurin, Angels & Demons, Hunger Games, and Cicada Song. Hurin and A&D were actually tied during one meeting so we made both an option and people could read whichever one they wanted. We were all pretty warn out by then so we took nearly a year break and when we came back I went ahead and made the next selection, Hunger Games. And that's why I selected 3 in a row.

Of the entire list, Wool is my favorite so far. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is my least favorite at this time.

It's a great thing because I've read and enjoyed a lot of books that I normally wouldn't have. I recently composed a top 10 novels list, giving it a lot of thought, and four of these books ended up making the list: Wool, The Shack, The Book Thief, and The Hunger Games. I guarentee I'd have never read Wool or the Book Thief, and they were both amazing. The Manual of Detection nearly made the list (think Inception meets Sherlock Holmes).

Last edited:
Forever ~ Maggie Stiefvater

"Alfred Hitchcock's Get Me to the Wake on Time"

"The Missing Golden Ticket and Other Splendiferous Secrets" by Roald Dahl

"Imagination Illustrated: The Jim Henson Journal" by Karen Falk. Read it in one night. Best book ever.

Servant of the Bones ~ Anne Rice

I'm currently reading A General Introduction to Psychoanalysis by Freud. A lot of his theories come across as pretty baseless and one-dimensional, but reading the book objectively allows to view it as one man's philosophy and makes it an interesting read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"