The Hip Hop/Rap Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Immortal Technique's Dance With the Devil...i'd rather a kid listen to some of the crap Wayne says then have them listen to Dance With the Devil.

And I'd rather a kid listen to The 4th Branch, The 3rd World, The Martyr. Dance With The Devil has a message behind it. Nothing Lil Wayne says has anything that even comes close to anything Immortal Technique says.

I mean Public Enemy, Nas, and Im pretty sur, Immortal Technique all use the n word. So calling out whoever in the mainstream for it is silly to me when some of the artists you mention do it to.

The question should be why the public or radio stations don't ever call out mainstream artists for using it?

The difference is as I said above is in context. Public Enemy, Paris, Immortal Technique's reason for existence is to provide a platform for raising issues and awareness that is the black experience. An experience that many white people like me, were raised to learn and understand issues like racism, police brutality and oppression. When they say it, it's used in context and as a reminder of a racially charged historical past. You might be familiar with the song Cuttin Heads by Chuck D and John Mellancamp that addresses this very issue. The problem with your example is that their use does NOT define their music - Their socially politically charged lyrics does. Fight The Power became our anthem where today it's "N--- in Paris".

This sits in direct contrast with the artists and how they use it in their music today. Because there is no historical racially charged context - as well as no social awareness, young kids of today use it as a term of endearment. In my very own family, I've had to educate the younger members of my family because they think it just means "black person". They don't bother to learn anything of the words origins and it's dehumanisation of a people. But they can download a black artists song and repeat the N word can't they? This completely damages everything socially conscious artists work so hard to address. When you have Nicki Minaj disrespecting Malcolm X by putting out an image of him with this word next to him, you can see the disconnect of this generation and mine. That's the very definition of REAL hip hop.

"I only listen to REAL hip hop" I mean the beauty of hip hop and music in general is that it takes so many forms and sounds, plus it is constantly evolving or changing. Calling one form the "real" one and others fake or whatever is counterproductive to the culture and the art.

So you think an artist that offers nothing to the artform but auto-tuned sounds and lyrics that are about *****es and hoes is less counterproductive to the culture than Public Enemy? When you have songs like "N--- in Paris" and 2 Chainz "N--- Like Me", this is what is counterproductive to the art. What's counterproductive to the culture is having people pick up CD's and slang but not understand the history or the people it comes from. It's important not to be a Hip Hop apologist.

"I don't know exactly when it started going downhill
Let's take it back to the days it was about skill
Before it was sweet boys parading as tough geeza's
Educated men naming themselves after drug dealers
When it was a way to vent a mans pain
Before it became a tool for presidential campaigns
Before the 50's, Lil' Wayne's and Rick Ross's
I'm about to show you the essence of what Hip-Hop is
Before it was about street credibility
When it was he's alright but he's better lyrically
Think about the zombies your bad words influence
Before Hip-Hop became an advert for ignorance
Before it became Kamikaze
I'm half Gil Scott-Heron and half Talib Kwelli

It used to be all for the love
Now pricks are greedier
This business is sicker than an infant with leucemia
I live Hip-Hop, don't disrespect my household
I'm about to kill these rappers sales like internet downloads
We've come a long way from the old timers
Now it's all 360, deals and ****ing ghost writers
Am I controversial 'cause I'm not commercial?
Or 'cause I don't rap like a rapper that wants to hurt you?
Every man's bragging, making anthems with gang-banging
I'm like a man standing, over the Grand Canyon
Hip-Hop broke down barriers like skin tone
Hip-Hop 2008 is selling ring tones"

Lowkey. The Essence

You don't like what Nicki Minaj says, just don't listen to her. Which Im sure you don't, I dont either. I dont like a lot of the songs played on the radio, but there is also not a need to say something is more "real" than another.

The quote from Lowkey I posted in my previous post says it all.

If you know what is meant by real hip hop then there is no reason to be offended or defensive. Hip hop has always been about different forms and sounds. It ranges from Run DMC, Cashmoney, Arrested Development, Public Enemy to Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. That isn't the point. What you are having a problem with is the use of the phrase "REAL hip hop". The problem here is balance. Put bluntly,commercial radio doesn't play "REAL hip hop". Ever wondered why rap music with meaning is never played on the radio? Most people if you ask them to name a rapper they would respond with "2Pac or Eminem". They fail to mention Public Enemy, Ice T, Marcel Cartier, Akala, Lowkey, Logic, Bliss N Eso, Run DMC, Paris, or even Grandmaster Flash!.When you have kids that think the art started with 2Pac and ended with Eminem, you have a problem. It totally misses the point of WHY it was created in the first place. What is counterproductive to the art is having an artform that was created out of expression and is turned into commercial artificial garbage that has nothing to say. That's not hip hop, it's pop music. The real hip hop phrase distinguishes the kind that offers nothing from the kind that offers something. Nicki Minaj and Iggy Azalea isn't real hip hop. Public Enemy is...They have made 3 of the most influential albums of all time. Chuck D once called hip hop the CNN of the black community. It's now turned into the Disney channel.

Paris said it best in the 2nd verse of this song:

[YT]yXZYZAkbPCo[/YT]

EDIT: And I dont mean that to be a bash or insulting to you. I'm just saying Im getting tired of it. Ive been a big, avid hip hop fan for only 10 years and I've been sick of the "real" hip hop label/thing for about 9

No problem. I think we are probably in agreement in most things. I've been into hip hop myself for over 20 years, so I'm pretty confident in my understanding of the music. :yay:

Last edited:
Kanye dropped All Day. He's been hyping it up since last year. Not gonna lie I enjoyed Only One and FourFiveSeconds more

Has anybody heard lilies by lupe fiasco? It's album/single material to me, should've been the lead on his new album...

Beast is G-Unit dropped today. Still listening to it, but from what Ive heard of it, it's another mediocre offering

Kanye dropped All Day. He's been hyping it up since last year. Not gonna lie I enjoyed Only One and FourFiveSeconds more

All Day had me noddin my head something serious. This CD should be interesting though, cuz I def wasn't feeling that McCartney stuff.

All Day is starting to grow on me.

In other news. Kendrick Lamar. "Untitled". March 23

Wish he came up with a better name but whatever. I expect it to be good

All Day is starting to grow on me.

In other news. Kendrick Lamar. "Untitled". March 23

Wish he came up with a better name but whatever. I expect it to be good

I don't think "Untitled" is an official name :cwink:
Really looking forward to it. And so close to my birthday

GoodYoung was right. Not sure about the title but here's the cover
6hrsyq.jpg

Disappointed (not really disappointed so much as underwhelmed) with Fashawn's The Ecology. Boy Meets World craps all over that album despite the former's production value. Yet another one that got hit by the 'sophomore slump'.

All Day has grown on me. That is all.

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly now on Spotify.

I gave To Pimp a Butterfly a listen before work...Not gonna lie, after 1 listen, Im not that hot on it.

-I love the funk influence but im not that big of a fan of the spoken word.
-I liked how it was a "pro black" album
-I thought "u" (the antithesis of "I") came off really whiny and I still don't like "I" although I like it more than when I first heard it
-Other than Blacker Than Berry, Alright, King Kunta, and Wesley's Theory none of the tracks really stood out to me although I did like how he shouted out Killer Mike
-Of course Kendrick is still lyrical and doing his thing I just don't think the songwriting as a whole wasn't good as section.80 or GKMC. And even not comparing it to his previous albums the songs just weren't that that good.

Not a bad album by any means. It's kinda like the not that good Nas albums. Nas (Kendrick) is still rapping well, but the songs just aren't that good. Maybe Im just holding Kendrick in higher regard. I wasn't expecting another arguable classic like GKMC but I thought it would be better what I heard.

Never in a million life times would I have expected to enjoy a Big Sean album more than Kendricks. I couldnt even get through any previous Big Sean album.
And no Im not saying Sean is a better rapper (obviously he's not) Im not saying that the album is better made that TPAB...IM just saying I see myself listening to Sean's more and I had an easier time listening to Dark Sky Paradise

I cant see me revisiting To Pimp a Butterfly unless my opinion of it changes in my next 2 listens.

Still love ya Kendrick

Last edited:
Anyone else see that footage of some random dude trying to attack Killer Mike and El P on stage at SXSW. Mike squared up really quick haha

New Earl Sweatshirt and Action Bronson out today.

I is my favorite song in years. I battle depression and I played that song daily since October. Really looking forward to the album. Glad it did huge numbers and was number 1.

I guess technically they transcend hip-hop/rap at this point, but Death Grips still has it, and their new album is awesome. On GP might be their best song yet. Probably the most unique band ever.

And this is why Wale wont get respect

Wale: “I Want Some Respect”

“I want people to be like, ‘Your album's just as good as Kendrick [Lamar]'s or Esperanza Spalding or Beck,’” Wale says. “I work just as hard as them.”

With The Album About Nothing, his fourth studio effort, set for release today, Wale spoke with Billboard about a variety of subjects including the lack of respect he feels he receives as an artist, his battle with drugs and depression, as well as the reception he believes TAAN will be met with.

First opening up about the topics he explores on the album that most resonate with his life, Wale says he talks a lot about the trials and tribulations of the music business.

“The music industry,” he says. “You can say I'm sensitive, but music is why I live. Other people have kids or a strong woman in their lives; all I have is my music. I constantly work my ass off and I'm not in these magazines -- all I can go by is the people and what they say. People ask, ‘Why do you check social-media comments?’ But what else do I have, bro? I don't get no major articles. Nobody talks about Wale like that. So what do you do when you're busting your ass and taking pills to stay up and be able to provide the right energy, and you're not seeing the proper response?

“My confidence was shot, so I'd be taking whatever to keep me in a good mood, to get me in the right mood for an interview,” Wale adds. “I'm not going into the details as to what I was taking, but there's definitely something for that. Just like there's a ****in' app for everything, there's a damn pill for everything. Or something you can pour in your glass. I was depressed not being where I wanna be in my career when I've put the work in. I wasn't sleeping. I was drinking all day and I didn't have anyone to go to. I couldn't fight it. Those are some of the demons I talk about on the album.”

Later in the conversation, Wale spoke on whether or not The Album About Nothing will be met with the apt amount of respect and acclaim he believes it deserves. The Maybach Music Group recording artist says he wants his work to receive the same amount of respect as artists such as Kendrick Lamar or Beck as he works just as hard as them.

“I gave this my all,” Wale says. “I'm not trying to whine about being critically acclaimed or getting in the door, but it breaks my heart. Everyone says, ‘Be patient. It'll happen.’ But all signs are showing, ‘No, it won't happen.’ I'm okay with people not liking my music but provide an intelligent reason for why you like or don't like something or you're a hater or a dick-rider. This is my fourth album. I want some respect. I want to go to a party and not have Katy Perry tell her security to move me out of the ****in' way. We do the same thing. I know there's no union in the music industry, but have some respect. I want people to be like, ‘Your album's just as good as Kendrick [Lamar]'s or Esperanza Spalding or Beck.’ I work just as hard as them."

To read the full interview, where Wale also talks about the turmoil he went through in 2010 when he was dropped from Interscope Records, visit Billboard.
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.33186/title.wale-i-want-some-respect

At least Kanye backs it up with talent.

If that Katy Perry thing is true than yeah that's a bit messed up I guess.

My buddy was listening to Kendrick Lamar's King Kunta. Sounded pretty similar to Aaron Carter's "Aaron's Party (Come Get It)." Like, shockingly similar.

Kendrick's album is good. But I've only listened to it like twice. Not something that I'm bumping like good kid, m.A.A.d city.

Wow thread has been quiet for a while.

Looks like major hip hop beef is back. As long as it doenst get violent Im glad. Even Nicki Minaj and T Swift kinda into a very minor twitter scuffle (Not hip hop but Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran had a hilarious response)

1. Drake vs Meek Mill
As someone who thinks Drake is extremely overrated and Meek is meh...Drake is washing Meek right now
Trigger fingers turn into Twitter fingers
You're getting bodied by a singing n****-Drake
Drake actually came back with a song which I really respect over going off on Twitter like most rappers.

2. Ghostface vs Action Bronson
People need to learn that Wu Tang Ain't Nuthin to F*** With. It has been said it has been proven.
I gave you a grace period motherf***er-Ghost
That is all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1