The Hip Hop/Rap Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you guys havent you should check out Black Hystori Project by Cyhi the Prynce. He's about to drop the 2nd one.

Also look up the single "To Be Real"

I've never loved Scarface,

I love the Slim Shady LP, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely got a more lower-budget, unrefined edge to it that makes it stand out from the rest of his work. Some would argue, and I'd agree to an extent, that that is where Eminem thrives, but I think that approach culminated in the MMLP and I really don't think he'll ever top that album.
The way I characterize that is that when I'm listening to the MMLP, I can listen to it all the way through without skipping any songs. I can't do the same for SSLP, as I've never really loved "my fault" and "if I had", and a few others that I can't remember off the top of my head. There are some in Eminem show that also not crazy about, but only like one or two.

I feel like Scarface has been really underrated and under appreciated.

As for Eminem, it's the exact opposite for me. I can listen to The Slim Shady all the way through. Where as with The Marshall Mathers LP I can skip a few tracks. Remember Me?, Amityville, Kim, I can do without them, personally.
I'll definitely agree, the production on TMM LP is definitely more polished for sure, personally I like both ends of the spectrum, from high quality and raw sounding production.
I love, I'm Back, The Way I Am, and Criminal. I would definitely say it's a more well rounded and complete album, or more grown up. I just think the range he shows on TSS LP is amazing, both lyrically and with the subject matter.
I don't think anyone can definitively say one is obviously better than the other, the albums are both so good that it really does become subjective. I do think that TSS LP is better than The Eminem Show though. Both those three are clearly his gems. Everything else hasn't come close, imho.

One of my favorites.
"I'm cancerous
So when I dis you, you wouldn't want to answer this
If you responded back with a battle rap you wrote for Canibus
I strangled you to death and I choked you again
And break your ****in' legs till your bones poke through your skin
You beef wit' me, I'm even the score equally
Take you on Jerry Springer, and beat your ass legally
I get too blunted off the funny home grown
'Cause when I smoke out I hit the trees harder than Sonny Bono"

What are everyone's thoughts on FourFiveSeconds by Rihanna, Kanye, and Paul McCartney.

I like it

i really like it. and i shouldn't lol

and to jump on to convo without tripleposting:
i don't listen to hip hop and rap as much as i used to, but one album i've always been able to listen to from start to finish is It's Dark and Hell is Hot by DMX

Last edited:
A lot of Drakes songs sound the same and I say that as someone who doesn't dislike Drake.

i agree.
i like him sometimes as a rapper, but pretty much never as a "singer"

I feel like Scarface has been really underrated and under appreciated.
Scarface might be a little before my time, but what little I have heard from him didn't leave me impressed.

As for Eminem, it's the exact opposite for me. I can listen to The Slim Shady all the way through. Where as with The Marshall Mathers LP I can skip a few tracks. Remember Me?, Amityville, Kim, I can do without them, personally.
I'll definitely agree, the production on TMM LP is definitely more polished for sure, personally I like both ends of the spectrum, from high quality and raw sounding production.
Oh man I love Remember Me and Amityville! Haha the baseline on Remember me is absolutely relentless, and Eminem's verse in Amityville is what really made me fall in love with him back in the day. I agree about Kim though, it's one of my least favorites that album.
I love, I'm Back, The Way I Am, and Criminal. I would definitely say it's a more well rounded and complete album, or more grown up. I just think the range he shows on TSS LP is amazing, both lyrically and with the subject matter.
I don't think anyone can definitively say one is obviously better than the other, the albums are both so good that it really does become subjective. I do think that TSS LP is better than The Eminem Show though. Both those three are clearly his gems. Everything else hasn't come close, imho.

One of my favorites.
"I'm cancerous
So when I dis you, you wouldn't want to answer this
If you responded back with a battle rap you wrote for Canibus
I strangled you to death and I choked you again
And break your ****in' legs till your bones poke through your skin
You beef wit' me, I'm even the score equally
Take you on Jerry Springer, and beat your ass legally
I get too blunted off the funny home grown
'Cause when I smoke out I hit the trees harder than Sonny Bono"
Overall we see eye to eye, debating which should be ranked where isn't all that important because those are all top-tier albums.
And yeah his verse on Role Model was another old favorite of mine, I remember listening to that repeatedly in middle school. Pretty sure I still know every word.

Last edited:
Listening to it right now and I like it so far,but then again I'm a Drake fan.

Yeah if youre a Drake fan I dont see why you wouldnt like it. It's not bad, just not my thing. I dont like all the rapping over R&B beats, and similar to B4DA$$, sonically it sounded too similar for me.

I did keep 2 songs. 6 Man and Company

I also have to call shenanigans on Drake for dissing Tyga, an easy opponent, but shying away from Kendrick, Jay Z, etc.

I love the samples he used in 6 man( You Got Me) and Legend (So Anxious),and I have to agree with the Tyga diss ,but on the other hand he did try to go against Common.

And after listening you can tell this is a mixtape of throwaways or B-sides.Overall it's okay.

The Common thing was so obviously a publicity stunt. It came out of nowhere and they resolved it really quick after Common's album dropped.

Drake shouldve at least gone at Diddy lol. Man slaps/punches you and you have nothing to say to him

i didn't know Diddy punched Drake

I'm waiting on Paris new album Pistol Politics.

His single Night Of The Long Knives is here:

[YT]4uiB4I2-y9Y[/YT]

Not really a fan of the commercial crap that passes as hip hop today. Sick and tired of Iggy Azalea and Nicki Minaj polluting the artform with negative imagery and ignorance.

I'm a fan of REAL hip hop; Public Enemy, Paris, Lowkey, Immortal Technique, Nas, Dead Prez, LL Cool J etc

Last edited:
I think the whole "real" hip hop labeling has gotten lame and tired.

I think the whole "real" hip hop labeling has gotten lame and tired.

It's used to distinguish commercial negative hip hop artists like Nicki Minaj, Siya and Chris Brown etc that spits out the N word and negative imagery on radio stations worldwide and has nothing POSITIVE to contribute to, versus the kind that had meaning.

What's lame and tiring is hearing the N word constantly without context and having young white kids adopt it because they think it's "cool".

"Hip hop at it's very best, has exposed power, it hasn't served power" - Lowkey

[YT]x8_rqO6i4PY[/YT]

Last edited:
I know what it means. Doesnt change the fact that it's kinda lame to say it to me.

I mean Public Enemy, Nas, and Im pretty sur, Immortal Technique all use the n word. So calling out whoever in the mainstream for it is silly to me when some of the artists you mention do it to.
Also Nas has made his share of "negative imagery" songs. HIs whole Nas Escobar thing. And Immortal Technique's Dance With the Devil...i'd rather a kid listen to some of the crap Wayne says then have them listen to Dance With the Devil.

But the actual reason the whole thing is lame to me, is that it always comes with this air of smugness. Like someone saying "I don't watch blockbusters, I only watch real movies" "I only drink locally brewed IPAs with blah blah blah". It just comes off as pretentious and not helpful to me.

"I only listen to REAL hip hop" I mean the beauty of hip hop and music in general is that it takes so many forms and sounds, plus it is constantly evolving or changing. Calling one form the "real" one and others fake or whatever is counterproductive to the culture and the art.

You don't like what Nicki Minaj says, just don't listen to her. Which Im sure you don't, I dont either. I dont like a lot of the songs played on the radio, but there is also not a need to say something is more "real" than another.

EDIT: And I dont mean that to be a bash or insulting to you. I'm just saying Im getting tired of it. Ive been a big, avid hip hop fan for only 10 years and I've been sick of the "real" hip hop label/thing for about 9

Last edited:
I want to take a power drill to my skull every time I hear Young Thug's voice. Seriously I do not get the hype.

Big Sean's album was surprisingly good. Not groundbreaking, but very good for him. The first of his projects I can actually listen to all the way and will probably buy it.

The Needle Drop review was kinda garbage though.

Heard Big Season subliminally dissed Kendrick on his Me, Myself and I freestyle. Can't wait to see what comes of all this. We need some beef in this game.

They need to drop the subliminals though. But I guess it's better than nothing.

What was the line that he dissed Kendrick on?

So Dipset are back together. Cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"