What's the Last Book You Read/Finished? - Part 1 Page 1 Chapter 1 Paragraph - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
So long as you both shall live -- Ed McBain

Making my way through 'Desolation Island' - Patrick O'brian

finished the Redemption of Callie and Kayden. i think i'll pass on the 3rd book

The Squickerwonkers a children's book by Evangeline Lilly.

VWars: A Chronicle of the Vampire Wars edited by John Maberry

King of Thorns by Mark Lawrence, an interesting take on nature vs nurture written in the first-person in which our narrator, Honorous Jorg Ancrath, invades and conquers a neighboring kingdom. The protagonist reminds me of the Alex whatshisname from A Clockwork Orange. Jorg engages in some pretty horrid stuff, and the author's challenge to the reader is to uncover what makes Jorg tick, decide what it is the drives Jorg to resort to cruelty in response to his father's own brutality (ie making Jorg break his dog's legs, then set it on fire, to teach a lesson about compassion and weakness).

Last edited:
Quills
by Doug Wright

410E731DRDL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This award winning play was turned into a film back in 2000. Quills depicts the last days of the Marquis de Sade at the Charenton insane asylum and examines the effects the Marquis' writings had on readers, censorship and hypocrisy. The book contains what could be considered graphic descriptions of sexual acts and other debaucheries often disturbing and horrific.
When it's discovered that confinement hasn't stopped the Marquis from writing Abbé du Coulmier is encouraged by Dr. Royer-Collard to take cruel measures to stop him. This sets off a chain of events that leads to the death of laundress Madeleine LeClerc and the Coulmier being corrupted himself in a most ironic way. The ending also features a very unexpected and memorable visual.

The Pilgrim's Regress by C.S. Lewis

Making your way thru C.S. Lewis' work, huh? Have you read The Space Trilogy yet? It's very good, but Lewis is my favorite author so I'm a bit biased.:yay:

Up next is Ray Bradbury's 'The Illustrated Man.'

Making your way thru C.S. Lewis' work, huh? Have you read The Space Trilogy yet? It's very good, but Lewis is my favorite author so I'm a bit biased.:yay:

Up next is Ray Bradbury's 'The Illustrated Man.'

Ha, yes, it's hasn't taken long for me to get sucked in. His space trilogy is actually up next for me as well.

Supergods: What Masked Vigilantes, Miraculous Mutants, and a Sun God from Smallville Can Teach Us About Being Human by Grant Morrison

The Unbound by Victoria Schwab (book 2 in her Archived series)
042e5e1e0ceaec628cc772b4a80e67f3.jpg

i started At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks last night because i'm kinda hating the book i'm currently halfway through

Burning Man -- Alan Russell

Redwall
by Brian Jacques

281954.jpg

I'm not generally into fantasy but I really enjoyed this. It has lots of colorful characters, swashbuckling, a mystery steeped in its own mythology and a quest for a legendary sword. The quest is genuinely exciting and the battles are tense. I felt the ending was very touching. Not sure if I should read all the sequels in the series or just cherry pick the better ones.

Redwall
by Brian Jacques

281954.jpg

I'm not generally into fantasy but I really enjoyed this. It has lots of colorful characters, swashbuckling, a mystery steeped in its own mythology and a quest for a legendary sword. The quest is genuinely exciting and the battles are tense. I felt the ending was very touching. Not sure if I should read all the sequels in the series or just cherry pick the better ones.
Awww the Redwall series!!. I had a hard time getting into books when I was a kid, it wasn't until my mom gave me this and Mossflower that I really found the fun that could be had in reading, so these books always hold a special place in my heart for really opening up the world of books :) I haven't had a chance to read the last few books released (though I do have most of them) - I think Loamhedge is the last one I've read. I particularly like Mossflower and Martin the Warrior (they're more prequels than sequels) in addition to Redwall. Those three have probably gotten the most re-reads out of me. Was so sad to hear of Brian's passing back in 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"